Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Need to vent a little...

About a societal trend that has started to bug me. I know most of us BOTL's are willing to lend a hand to those in need, as it seems like we have a different moral code. I was reminded yesterday of just how opposite the rest of the world can be at times.

I ran to Walmart after a very hectic work day. Had to get diapers, dog food, yadda yadda. Super Walmart is a big place, and always busy. Took me about 45 minutes to gather my items, and get out.

On the way to my car, I notice an older woman a few rows over with the hood open and a HAMMER in her hand. I zig zagged through the cars, cart and all, to see if I could help out. She let me know that she couldn't get the car started (obviously). She called her husband, and he told her the starter was going out, and to tap on it with a hammer. Of course I was wondering what she was doing on the TOP END of the engine compartment. I looked in to see that she had been beating on the AC compressor, shich she thought was the starter.

I told her the location of the starter, and I crawled under with the hammer to tap on it while she tried turning the key. No dice. I thought maybe the starter was just done, and needed to be towed. But I asked if I could try to start it. She agreed, and I sat down in the driver's seat to take a look. I noticed that she had left the gear selector in drive. I put it in park, and it started right up.

When I told her, she started to cry. I just told her it happens, no biggie. She even tried to pay me, which of course I would never accept. She thanked me probably a million times, and I told her I was just glad to help out. And to avoid turning on the AC until she gets it checked out. She told me she had been out there for over 30 minutes, and not a SINGLE person stopped. 2 people even parked in the space next to her, and just ignored her completely.

As I'm walking back to my car, I started thinking. And I was saddened that more people out there would rather avoid/ignore than help. My children definitely aren't going to be raised that way.

I'm not telling this story for a "good for you" or an e-pat on the back. I find it should be a responsibility of those that can help, TO help. It SHOULD be that way. Especially with something as simple as helping someone with a car problem.

Okay, end rant.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Need to vent a little...

Great job Peter. I do not always have the time to stop, but I try to make the time when I see things like that.

I have helped out on my road trips, vacation and just everyday life. I do it, it hope, if I am every in that situation, I will get someone like you/me to help out.

Again, great job on being a wonderful and helpful citizen.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

Unfortunately this is the way things are now. Very unfortunate indeed. Society has lost both its innocent and way.

This is the reason I try so hard to mentor my children. Hopefully one day they will make a difference on someone's life the same way you did yesterday.
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Very cool thing for you to do Peter!

Unfortunately, many people today have learned from parents, friends and family that people in need of help are someone else's responsibility...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Nice job Peter

I think one of the reasons that many people choose not to help anyone anymore is because of our sue happy legal system, seems to me that woman could have sued you for breaking her starter by hitting on (just an example of our society these days).

And instead of our courts throwing out these suits right off the bat they allow them to go forward even though it is complete B.S. People may be exonerated down the road or the suit finally getting tossed but it is a pain and I am sure there is alot of angst involved!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

Well done Pete and you are correct if you can help... you should
Old 08-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

[quote=pektel;1870306]I'm not telling this story for a "good for you" or an e-pat on the back. I find it should be a responsibility of those that can help, TO help. It SHOULD be that way. Especially with something as simple as helping someone with a car problem./QUOTE]

i couldn't agree more and the line in bold sums everything up perfectly.

Thank you Peter for helping her.
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

You're one of the few left in this world Peter.

Working in the line of work I'm in I couldn't begin to tell you how many people I've seen people stuck on the roadside or hell even in the middle of the road, and people just drive around them or lay on their horn.

I like hearing that there are still some people left in this world that aren't too busy to lend a hand.

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
aaron72
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (4)
aaron72 is on a distinguished road

Good work.

You should thank your lucky stars that the ignition switch/gear selector safety system was working and it didn't start up while you were under there tapping the starter.
aaron72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

This would never happen in the parking lot of a Target store.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I'm the same way Pete, it never hurts to stop and help, another couple of minutes is not going to change my life drastically.

People Suck, true story.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Kudos Peter!! True enough the society we live in has completely changed. Now, in some parts of America, if you stop to help somewhere, you run the risk of getting "schemed" and robbed. It's a sad state of affairs.

We need to continue to raise our children the right way...you nailed it with IF YOU CAN HELP, YOU HELP!!! One day that may be us in that parking lot.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #13
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Nice job Peter

I think one of the reasons that many people choose not to help anyone anymore is because of our sue happy legal system, seems to me that woman could have sued you for breaking her starter by hitting on (just an example of our society these days).

And instead of our courts throwing out these suits right off the bat they allow them to go forward even though it is complete B.S. People may be exonerated down the road or the suit finally getting tossed but it is a pain and I am sure there is alot of angst involved!
To me it would be a greater crime to not stop and help. The possibility of someone being so evil as to try something like that (which of course IS a real possiblity) is pretty small I would wager. But honestly, that's something I have no control over. That small possibility damn sure isn't going to make me NOT help someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron72 View Post
Good work.

You should thank your lucky stars that the ignition switch/gear selector safety system was working and it didn't start up while you were under there tapping the starter.
You ain't lyin'. That was one of my thoughts when I got in and saw it wasn't in park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
This would never happen in the parking lot of a Target store.
Those patrons probably all have AAA.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

Way to go! I wish more people in our society had your attitude Pete. Unfortunately, many people are so wrapped up in themselves that they don't notice much around them.

Your case is the perfect example of someone just needing another person to care enough to stop and look at her situation. Even someone who knows very little about cars could have helped her out here.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #15
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I am my brother's keeper.
I'm fortunate to have this brotherhood of like-minded people, and they're the top of the heap. But I have an entire brotherhood out there, and I'm still responsible for loving them, too.
Those people out there give me a lot of reason not to help, if I lump them all in one, big, unfair category. Fact is, I don't know which ones are like us. If I don't take what we do here and apply it out there, I haven't really done much.
It's real easy to love people who love me back. It's a real challenge to love people who just need loved with no thought of being loved in return, even though that's what usually happens.
It makes me smile to know that our brothers regularly do this kind of thing. It makes the world suck a lot less.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #16
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

I would have stopped, too. But, then I probably would have beat the crap out of the AC compressor. Good thing you were there.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Well done Peter. Glad to hear stories like this. Acts like this are rare and go unnoticed too many times.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #18
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I am my brother's keeper.
I'm fortunate to have this brotherhood of like-minded people, and they're the top of the heap. But I have an entire brotherhood out there, and I'm still responsible for loving them, too.
Those people out there give me a lot of reason not to help, if I lump them all in one, big, unfair category. Fact is, I don't know which ones are like us. If I don't take what we do here and apply it out there, I haven't really done much.
It's real easy to love people who love me back. It's a real challenge to love people who just need loved with no thought of being loved in return, even though that's what usually happens.
It makes me smile to know that our brothers regularly do this kind of thing. It makes the world suck a lot less.
Yes. This. In spades.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #19
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Our service this past Sunday was on "Who is my brother?" It was this in a nutshell. As Scott said, I am my brother's keeper. To get by in this world, you've had folks look out for you most of your life, paying it forward is what keeps us all civilized and harmonious. Now I would never tell anyone to pick up that random hitchhiker, the chance something could go wrong is too great, especially as I have a wife and two kids that depend on me daily. But there are a lot of things out there all of us can do.

Yesterday I noticed a teenager pull in front of me as I was going to the gym. He did nothing wrong, but I did notice his rear passenger tire was very slack. When I parked I waited on him, but he sat in the vehicle. I was late for my racquetball game, but I eventually walked over to him, startling him in the process, and told him what I saw. He was very grateful. I asked him did he need a hand and he said, no. An hour later as I was leaving, a tire service company was down there fixing his issue. Like Peter said, no hand-pat, it was just the correct thing to do. Had it been my kid, I would not have wanted him to leave and go flying down the road with a tire that was in sub-standard shape.

Thanks for reminding the world to do the right thing, Peter!
Old 08-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #20
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
I would have stopped, too. But, then I probably would have beat the crap out of the AC compressor. Good thing you were there.
HAHAHA Me Too.

I help when I can, even just if to make a call. And I hope someone will do the same if my wife or parents are in need.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote