Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 12-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #21
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Not trying to belabor the point, Jeff....I just can't remember Piscopo ever doing anything funny. But his castmates were all funnier than Fred.
I liked the sports stuff he used to do on SNL News Break, or whatever they were calling Weekend Update at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeard View Post
I guess he's the new Cheri Oteri?
C'mon, those cheerleader sketches she used to do with Will Ferrell were hilarious, especially when Jim Carrey hosted.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #22
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: Fred Armisen Must Die!

Is Saturday Night Live still on? I thought it got canceled when it ceased to be funny. What was that, 10 or 15 years ago? I suppose Will Ferrell would have been an exception. Joe Piscopo always reminded me of something... I don't know what, exactly, but I wasn't fond of him then, either. Remember Johnny Dangerously?
Old 12-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #23
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Is Saturday Night Live still on? I thought it got canceled when it ceased to be funny. What was that, 10 or 15 years ago? I suppose Will Ferrell would have been an exception. Joe Piscopo always reminded me of something... I don't know what, exactly, but I wasn't fond of him then, either. Remember Johnny Dangerously?
They had some funny stuff during the 2000 election with Will Ferrell and Darrell Hammond. That era had some decent stuff. Other than that, SNL hasn't been truly funny since Eddie Murphy left.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #24
TheBeard
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Rob
Trading: (31)
TheBeard will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
C'mon, those cheerleader sketches she used to do with Will Ferrell were hilarious, especially when Jim Carrey hosted.
At some point, I sat back and looked at the SNL sketches I'd been watching, and I realized that I just didn't find Cheri Oteri funny. Someone else in the skit might be good enough to carry her, but that's about it.

One or two notches below Molly Shannon.
TheBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #25
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
One or two notches below Molly Shannon.
That's bad. Very bad.

Insert quote here.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #26
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

It's funny how everyone derides whatever the current SNL is. The show has always been the same, one or two really funny bits crammed into 90 minutes. It was that way in the beginning and it's still that way now.

And I actually like Fred, I think the comedian bit he does on the news is hilarious.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #27
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

What I think is odd about SNL in its current configuration is that they don't seem to understand when a gag isn't working, or that it has turned into a 6 minute bit when it should have been 2, and even then it was running out of gas. It 's as if Lorne Michaels forgot how to find talent and all we get in return is the occasional chuckle in a sea of hackneyed skits that were worked to death in rehearsals, without someone saying "This isn't working, let's rewrite, or cut the hell out of it." I wonder if the writer/performer culture for the show is locked into a mutual appreciation society vicious circle. I understand that sometimes comedy fails, and in theater of any type, performances can vary, but you wonder if it will still be here in 5 years. A couple of buddies were chuckling about a skit from last week, quoting it last night. I just watched it.
"Ladies Bowling." I need to re-evaluate the possibility that my friends may have been huffing model glue.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #28
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
It's funny how everyone derides whatever the current SNL is. The show has always been the same, one or two really funny bits crammed into 90 minutes. It was that way in the beginning and it's still that way now.

And I actually like Fred, I think the comedian bit he does on the news is hilarious.
I think it has changed. I remember being able to laugh out loud rather than just chuckle occasionally.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #29
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:

Haven't seen any really funny bits lately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
I think it has changed. I remember being able to laugh out loud rather than just chuckle occasionally.

Insert quote here.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #30
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
It's funny how everyone derides whatever the current SNL is.
I actually like most of the current cast. I was a bit skeptical about Kenan Thompson when he started a few years ago, mainly because I remembered my older kids watching him on Nikolodeon. But, he's actually one of my favorites now. That Weekend Update bit he did as James Harrison after the Super Bowl last year was hilarious.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #31
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
I actually like most of the current cast. I was a bit skeptical about Kenan Thompson when he started a few years ago, mainly because I remembered my older kids watching him on Nikolodeon. But, he's actually one of my favorites now. That Weekend Update bit he did as James Harrison after the Super Bowl last year was hilarious.
Posted via Mobile Device
He's about the only cast member that I like right now.

Insert quote here.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #32
TheBeard
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Rob
Trading: (31)
TheBeard will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I was a bit skeptical about Kenan Thompson when he started a few years ago, mainly because I remembered [watching] him on Nikolodeon. But, he's actually one of my favorites now.

Though, this is not to say that I've seen much SNL in the last few years.
TheBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #33
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I guess he's the new Cheri Oteri?
I liked Cheri Oteri....that's just me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
What's wrong with Fred Mertz?
Gotta read the whole thread, Andy...just a joke about Freds.

Quote:
SNL hasn't been truly funny since Eddie Murphy left.
Jon Lovitz
Dana Carvey
Phil Hartman
Mike Myers
Chris Rock
Chris Farley
Adam Sandler
Norm MacDonald
Will Ferrell
Tracy Morgan
Jimmy Fallon
Horatio Sanz
Amy Poehler
Darrell Hammond
Tina Fey
Kenan Thompson
Andy Samberg
Kristen Wiig

I respectfully disagree, Pete.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #34
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

I've got to agree with Tom on this one. Quite a few good cast members have gone on to bigger and better things.

I think where the problem comes in, SNL has always been out there on the edge and do not pander to the masses. Not all the skits are going to appeal to everyone all the time, but when they are on and in line with your understanding of what they are satirizing, they are still the best out there with any kind of exposure.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #35
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Tracy Morgan
Ugh. Not funny to me, maybe because HE ONLY HAS ONE VOLUME SETTING?
Quote:
Kristen Wiig
Yep, except for that Gillie character she does. That or an Armisen sketch is when I browse CA or go have a cig.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #36
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Yep, except for that Gillie character she does. That or an Armisen sketch is when I browse CA or go have a cig.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, not one of her better characters. Love the Target lady though, and the "one-upper", among others.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 12-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #37
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Yeah, not one of her better characters. Love the Target lady though, and the "one-upper", among others.
The Target Lady is awesome, especially when Justin Timberlake played her friend. The Penelope sketches are great too. I like how they show one of her ridiculous claims to be true at the end of the sketch, like Liza Minelli being her best friend.
I think some of her funniest bits have been on WU, like the "just kidding travel "expert," or the woman suffering from constant orgasms (Seth Myers: "Thanks for coming.").
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #38
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Cheri Oteri
Jon Lovitz
Mike Myers
Jimmy Fallon
Horatio Sanz
Amy Poehler
Tina Fey
Andy Samberg
Kristen Wiig

I respectfully disagree, Pete.
None of these ever made me laugh on SNL. A few of them did some hilarious things on film, but not on SNL. Myers and Carvey were good. Just my take on these people though.

Insert quote here.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:34 PM   #39
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
None of these ever made me laugh on SNL. A few of them did some hilarious things on film, but not on SNL. Myers and Carvey were good. Just my take on these people though.
Really, Andy?

Sanz, Samberg, Poehler and Wiig cracked me up on a regular basis. But I do have a highly evolved sense of humor.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #40
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Really, Andy?

Sanz, Samberg, Poehler and Wiig cracked me up on a regular basis. But I do have a highly evolved sense of humor.
Horatio Sanz got a chuckle or two from me, but no to the rest. I guess I'm more of an old school comedy guy. Like you said though, it's all a matter of personal opinion. Maybe it's a sign of me getting older, but today's comedy and music just doesn't do it for me. It's harder and harder for me to find current comedians and music that I can get in to.

Insert quote here.