Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Yet another smartphone thread

We are considering going away from our iPhone 4s phones to something new. It has to be on the ATT network because we like them. l have heard a lot about the Samsung Galaxy lineup (the very very big lineup) and am interested in hearing from people who have made the switch from the iPhone to a Galaxy (of some kind).

We mostly use it for calling (!), text messages, camera, music, web browsing. We sync contacts to Google. We do check gmail, but we use the gmail app on the iPhone, not the Apple mail tool.

So, who's done this and how was your experience. I already know about smart-switch and iSyncr but if you have used them it would be nice to know about possible issues - I've read about the old problem of it dropping contact phone numbers and hope it is resolved.

advaTHANKSnce
Old 03-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
bighairlogo
Feeling at Home

Trading: (34)
RA
bighairlogo will become famous soon enoughbighairlogo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Yet another smartphone thread

isyncr has been a little buggy here and there. Galaxy s3 and s4 are great phones, android is a very different operating system than iOS so there is a learning curve with it. Honestly if you don't do a lot on the phone I would get an iPhone but if you want to change you can't go wrong with any of the current Samsung phones.

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
bighairlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Love my Samsung Note 2. Much better than my old iPhone
Old 03-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
JoeCool87TC
Relaxing in Paradise...

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JoeCool87TC is on a distinguished road

Haven't switched from iPhone (wouldn't own an Apple product) but I recently purchased a Google Nexus 5 direct from Google Play. Excellent price ($399 for 32GB), unlocked. Works with several different carriers, for sure on AT&T, that's the system I'm on (through Consumer Cellular).

Great phone, I like it much better than the Motorola Droid-X I used to have on Verizon. Really nice display, fast, plenty of memory, out-of-the-box ready for wireless charging (a really nice feature). Only downside I can see is I need to charge it daily, but then again I use it a lot.

Hope this helps, good luck in your search and acquisition.
JoeCool87TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Sorry Mark, I'm no help as far as switching from an iPhone, but I've used both the Note 2 and now the Note 3. My wife has the S3, I've been very pleased with the Samsung phones. Everyone always says, 'look how big that screen is, I wouldn't like carrying that thing around'. But after using it for a few months, I don't see how I ever survived with a smaller screen, plus it fits my hand better.
The one factor that kept me away from the iPhone was the inability to swap out batteries. I'm never tied to a charging cable with 2 spare batteries.
Good luck in your search for the right phone!
Old 03-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Love my Note 3
Old 03-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

I have the 4 s and love it then again I hate all things Apple so...... ya know
Old 03-17-2014, 12:49 PM   #8
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Some caveats when you switch from an iPhone to something else:

- Facetime will no longer work and I am not aware of a good alternative (moot if you don't use it)
- All of your friends with iPhones will need to delete your contact info -- entirely -- and then create a new contact for you. This is because of the way contact info between iPhone users is tied to iMessage

After deleting your contact info any text (iMessage) messages that were sent between you will be lost, so if there is anything important (pictures, videos, other info) it all needs to be saved first.

As long as you warn your contacts with iPhones all will be fine. Otherwise, they will have difficulties sending you text messages (or using any iMessage based services).

We found all of this out the hard way when our son switched from an iPhone to a Galaxy S4.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #9
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I went from an I-Phone to a Galaxy S-3 and I love it. I dont think I would ever switch back.