Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 09-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #881
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Dearest Old Farts (I use that term endearingly)
I have a couple of questions for you after my first bowl (after giving up on pipes a year ago)
1) How much if at all do you exhale through your nose?
2) I was using Virginia flake and this packing technique, but I found that it didn't burn the sides as much as the center. Is this due to the packing method? Or just something that happens? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9tzmB0JInY
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:55 AM   #882
Nick
Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Trading: (4)
Nick is on a distinguished road

1) I hardly exhale through my nose at all. alot of pipe smokers use whats called the breath smoking method of pipe smoking which basically means that you draw the smoke into your mouth and then lightly exhale partially through the pipe and partially through your lips. The idea being that it keeps the pipe lit better nd you get a more even burn.
2) I think the breath smoking method may help slightly with this but it really just takes practice in packing, lighting, and smoking, to get it right also experiment with rubbing the tobacco out partially or fully.

I also highly recomend the frank method of filling your pipe, hes got vids on youtube.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #883
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnster View Post
Dearest Old Farts (I use that term endearingly)
I have a couple of questions for you after my first bowl (after giving up on pipes a year ago)
1) How much if at all do you exhale through your nose?
All the flavor is in the snork for me.

snork
-v (snork) Mod. english; 21st century Amer. slang, origin pipe and cigar forums

1. the process of removing recreational pipe or cigar smoke from the mouth through the sinuses and out the nostrils, bypassing the lungs, thereby saturating smell receptors and maximizing taste value while preserving total lung capacity (TLC).

Example: "Taste isn't all in your mouth; try a snork to recognize the full taste of cigar or pipe smoke."
Old 09-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #884
Nick
Feeling at Home

Now that i think more about i do snork a little for better flavor. I just always did it with out noticing.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #885
ABQChris
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
ABQChris is on a distinguished road

Hi there! From one old fart to another, I'm thinking about switching from my old standby pipe tobacco, Gawith's Dark Bird's Eye, to an aromatic. Oddly, I've been searching for hours and can't find anything online about the nicotine content of aromatics.

Does something cheaper, like Admiral's Choice, contain decent nicotine content? Also, is it normally considered reasonable on the lungs to inhale aromatics (I inhale the Dark Bird's Eye perhaps twice per bowl)? I should know these things after smoking a pipe for nearly four years, but I simply don't. Thank you! I appreciate it.
ABQChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #886
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQChris View Post
Hi there! From one old fart to another, I'm thinking about switching from my old standby pipe tobacco, Gawith's Dark Bird's Eye, to an aromatic. Oddly, I've been searching for hours and can't find anything online about the nicotine content of aromatics.

Does something cheaper, like Admiral's Choice, contain decent nicotine content? Also, is it normally considered reasonable on the lungs to inhale aromatics (I inhale the Dark Bird's Eye perhaps twice per bowl)? I should know these things after smoking a pipe for nearly four years, but I simply don't. Thank you! I appreciate it.
The constituent tobaccos are what contain the nicotine. If you have been getting a nicotine hit from Dark Bird's Eye and not been nauseous or unconscious, you will not find the same nic fix in any aromatic - unless it is an aromatic made from Dark Bird's Eye. in fact, there are not many other tobaccos out there that will give you such a nic hit.

Oh wait, try the Gawith flavored ropes, they would be the only tobacco that I could think of that would come do that. I know the ropes have quite a nic hit, but I've never tried their aromatic ropes before. I will say that the Gawith aromatics are not usually something that American palates truly appreciate.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #887
ABQChris
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
The constituent tobaccos are what contain the nicotine. If you have been getting a nicotine hit from Dark Bird's Eye and not been nauseous or unconscious, you will not find the same nic fix in any aromatic - unless it is an aromatic made from Dark Bird's Eye. in fact, there are not many other tobaccos out there that will give you such a nic hit.

Oh wait, try the Gawith flavored ropes, they would be the only tobacco that I could think of that would come do that. I know the ropes have quite a nic hit, but I've never tried their aromatic ropes before. I will say that the Gawith aromatics are not usually something that American palates truly appreciate.
Thank you! That's helpful. I appreciate your time.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #888
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Thank you! That's helpful. I appreciate your time.
You are welcome. Been smoking a pipe for almost 30 years now. When I want a nic hit, I don't reach for an aromatic. I usually like a VaPer (Virginia w/Perique) blend. I haven't had Gawith's Dark Birdseye in a while, but that was always fairly high in nicotine.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #889
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
snork
-v (snork) Mod. english; 21st century Amer. slang, origin pipe and cigar forums

1. the process of removing recreational pipe or cigar smoke from the mouth through the sinuses and out the nostrils, bypassing the lungs, thereby saturating smell receptors and maximizing taste value while preserving total lung capacity (TLC).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Now that i think more about i do snork a little for better flavor. I just always did it with out noticing.
Can't get enough of the snork myself, and when you get a really favorable and spicy baccy, its just "snork city" out on the patio.

I just blame Dan though
Old 10-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #890
Nick
Feeling at Home

I blame everything on dan! Haha

About those ropes they are very good. But they are strong!
Old 11-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #891
ABQChris
Just in from the Storm

Hey, fellas. Happy Monday. You were so helpful before that I thought I'd pose a rather pressing (but hopefully easy) question about nicotine content.

Knowing my occasionally weak self-discipline, I've been smoking Gawith's Dark Bird's Eye for quite a while, as it's high in nicotine content without having to be inhaled, and this will keep me away from cigarettes -- as long as I get that ol' nicotine.

Two of my trusted online sellers, including Mars, are out of Dark Bird's Eye for the first time I can remember, due to their shared importer having run out. Can anyone recommend a comparable pipe tobacco, at least in terms of mouth-absorbed nicotine content? Thanks so much.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #892
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Hey, fellas. Happy Monday. You were so helpful before that I thought I'd pose a rather pressing (but hopefully easy) question about nicotine content.

Knowing my occasionally weak self-discipline, I've been smoking Gawith's Dark Bird's Eye for quite a while, as it's high in nicotine content without having to be inhaled, and this will keep me away from cigarettes -- as long as I get that ol' nicotine.

Two of my trusted online sellers, including Mars, are out of Dark Bird's Eye for the first time I can remember, due to their shared importer having run out. Can anyone recommend a comparable pipe tobacco, at least in terms of mouth-absorbed nicotine content? Thanks so much.
You may want to contact the following Chris:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/gawith-hoggarth/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=4014
Old 11-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #893
ABQChris
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Thanks, Mark! I considered them, but I ordered from them once, and they repackaged the tobacco. It no longer came in a Gawith-Hoggarth bag; it was in a generic, clear plastic bag with the Smoking Pipes logo stuck on it. I figured that they could put any mixture in there without the customer knowing exactly what he's getting, since it was no longer in the factory packaging. Am I being paranoid?
Old 11-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #894
ABQChris
Just in from the Storm

Anyone? (Or am I being impatient, in addition to the above paranoia?)
Old 11-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #895
Savvy
Bull Goose Loony

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (11)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Savvy will become famous soon enough

SP is one of the most legitimate retailers. Of course their bulk selections come in SP bags, but I highly doubt it would matter.

If you wanted to still get it in the SG boxes you would have to order the 250/500g boxes that SG releases. Everything else is going to be in SPs own bags.

I definitely have pounds and pounds of various tobacco from that site though. Definitely my preferred retailer.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #896
ABQChris
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
SP is one of the most legitimate retailers. Of course their bulk selections come in SP bags, but I highly doubt it would matter.

If you wanted to still get it in the SG boxes you would have to order the 250/500g boxes that SG releases. Everything else is going to be in SPs own bags.

I definitely have pounds and pounds of various tobacco from that site though. Definitely my preferred retailer.
Thank you for the reply, Savvy. The non-factory packaging was, in fact, a 1-pound bag -- I don't order them any smaller. Mars offers the original 500g distinction, but not SP. Same quantity (virtually), different packaging.

If you're an experienced pipe smoker and you haven't noticed anything lacking in the legitimacy of their tobacco, I admit that that makes me feel a bit better about it.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #897
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Thank you for the reply, Savvy. The non-factory packaging was, in fact, a 1-pound bag -- I don't order them any smaller. Mars offers the original 500g distinction, but not SP. Same quantity (virtually), different packaging.

If you're an experienced pipe smoker and you haven't noticed anything lacking in the legitimacy of their tobacco, I admit that that makes me feel a bit better about it.
I have gotten this particular tobacco from SP, in their packaging. Here's a great idea, place your order by phone - ask them for the whole 500g box/bag and see what you get.

Just so you know, Gawith, Hoggarth makes Darks Birdseye not SG. And, it is also available at Pipes & Cigars for 17oz for $53.43. Here's the link.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/ghtobacco.html
Old 11-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #898
ABQChris
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I have gotten this particular tobacco from SP, in their packaging. Here's a great idea, place your order by phone - ask them for the whole 500g box/bag and see what you get.

Just so you know, Gawith, Hoggarth makes Darks Birdseye not SG. And, it is also available at Pipes & Cigars for 17oz for $53.43. Here's the link.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/ghtobacco.html
Perfect, Rev.! I'm grateful for your help. Ordered.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #899
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Been doing some roaming on these threads on some research, my buddy and I want to start smoking pipes (we both are cigar smokers) can I store pipe tobacco in an old empty with a boveda pack? I'm assuming the aromatics will affect my cigars like infused cigars would! Also what if I don't open tin can it go in my coolidor?

I think I'm gonna try and sample some stuff I've read on the what's in your bowl thread, I was gonna try first and foremost Christmas cheer, and so to bed, night cap, royal yacht, exhausted rooster and sextant. I'm assuming I will like strong sweet tasty tobacco any other stuff I should try? Price isn't a huge point to factor because I will not leave being a cigar smoker, it's cold out and my girlfriend will let me smoke a pipe on the house and sounds like a fun hobby!! Thanks CA!
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #900
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Empty humidor*

And unopened tin in a coolidor filled with cigars*
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote