Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #21
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone have a XOOM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
There are several sites a week that I get links to that will not work correctly on my iphone and I have to go to my laptop or desktop to check them because of lack of flash. When flash actually does die, then the iPad will become a viable option for me. For now, since there are still quite a few sites use flash to some extent, whether it be menus or animation/video, it is not on the list. I can see why it may not bother some people because most of the major sites have moved away from flash, but my browsing habits are not limited to major sites.
Two Apps that solve that.

Puffin browser allows Flash content.
OplayerHDLite allows you to open any of those QuickTime videos we often can't normally open.

Lack of Flash is a moot point.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #22
GolfNut
Back in the woodshop!

First Name: Forrest
Trading: (38)
Partagas
GolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura about

So, I may have miscounted, but it looks like 7 unique users have posted here that do NOT own a Xoom, and zero Xoom users. That in itself may tell me something.

I do not have a best buy or anything like that nearby, but we do have a Staples. My son came over yesterday and said he stopped by Staples and played with several tablets. He liked the Xoom best but didn't spend a lot of time with them. Said the internet experience was great with it.

I think today I'll swing by and see what they have. Costco still seems to be the best place to buy from though due to their 90day return policy. No real risk if I end up not liking the Xoom providing they actually stock it at our store that is.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #23
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
So, I may have miscounted, but it looks like 7 unique users have posted here that do NOT own a Xoom, and zero Xoom users. That in itself may tell me something.

I do not have a best buy or anything like that nearby, but we do have a Staples. My son came over yesterday and said he stopped by Staples and played with several tablets. He liked the Xoom best but didn't spend a lot of time with them. Said the internet experience was great with it.

I think today I'll swing by and see what they have. Costco still seems to be the best place to buy from though due to their 90day return policy. No real risk if I end up not liking the Xoom providing they actually stock it at our store that is.
Forrest, how about a Verizon store? Target? Walmart?
Not sure if all those carry them but Verizon does for sure.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #24
Dux
Lebowski Urban Achiever!

Trading: (24)
Partagas
Dux has disabled reputation

Just got the Ausus Transformer in! Love it so far!
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20056260-1.html

It's built on the Honeycomb 3.0 tech (google)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4277/a...sformer-review

You can find a nice chart @ the link above for Tablet Specification Comparison

-Doug/Dux

Last edited by Dux; 06-02-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Dux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #25
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post

OplayerHDLite allows you to open any of those QuickTime videos we often can't normally open.

The SkyFire browser also provides Flash support. It used to be free but at the moment it is $2.99...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #26
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
The SkyFire browser also provides Flash support. It used to be free but at the moment it is $2.99...
Yup.
I think I got it back when it was free.
Decent browser.

I tell you, that 10" Galaxy that was posted here does look nice but pricey if you consider the contract.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #27
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

If I had $600 to spend on a tablet instead of $250 I would be more likely to have a XOOM (or a Transformer) instead of getting a Galaxy Tab, if that helps. It's a purely a cost thing. I would live with the bigger size for the better specs for sure.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #28
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Yup.
I think I got it back when it was free.
Decent browser.

I tell you, that 10" Galaxy that was posted here does look nice but pricey if you consider the contract.
Same price as the iPad2 for the WIFI only though, which is what the OP is interested in. Seems to be the sweet spot in the market.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #29
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
Same price as the iPad2 for the WIFI only though, which is what the OP is interested in. Seems to be the sweet spot in the market.
I could be wrong but I think the price is comparable to the iPad only with the contract.
You then have to account for that monthly fee for two years.
No contract on wifi only iPad.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #30
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Because of the huge variety currently on the market tablet's are like cigars, wine, spirits, etc.; a personal preference that no one else can really tell you what you're going to like. The biggest thing right now is making sure you don't buy one that's going to disappear overnight, and you're pretty safe on that with the Xoom/GalaxyTab/iPad/Playbook.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #31
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

Quote:
I could be wrong but I think the price is comparable to the iPad only with the contract.
You then have to account for that monthly fee for two years.
No contract on wifi only iPad.

Wifi only exact same price.

Wifi +4G exact same price out the door but requiring a 2 year contract...but it is 4G.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...lets/229900044
Old 06-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #32
Sawyer
Primitive Screwhead

First Name: Robert
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
Sawyer has disabled reputation

Quote:

Puffin and skyfire are both buggy, slow and choppy when it comes to flash. Both also require you to use a crappy browser. So no, it is not a moot point.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #33
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Puffin and skyfire are both buggy, slow and choppy when it comes to flash. Both also require you to use a crappy browser. So no, it is not a moot point.
Depends on what side of the fence you are I guess.

I find they work very well for the overall limited few times I have needed flash.
In my personal case, using primarily an iPad for everything, not having flash does not hinder me.

My point would primarily be to choose a tablet for whatever preferences make you happiest but not having Flash, that will soon be obsolete should not be one.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #34
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Scottastic brought the ten inch galaxy to the barn herf. I must say I was very impressed with it. Stereo speakers, great screen, and very thin and light. I'm not a tablet person, my phone and laptop are plenty, but if I was I'd be all over that Galaxy like white on rice.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #35
GolfNut
Back in the woodshop!

Partagas
GolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura about

Stopped by staples. Really impressed with the Xoom. Loads web pages faster than my laptop. I even popped into CA here and it was loaded before I realized it.
Read some on it, nice ereader. Music program is pretty nice. Didn't have a movie to watch on it, but had fun playing around with it.

Saw the BB Playbook, just too small for what I want. My eyes are getting bad, and I like the bigger tablet screens. The only other one they had was the Asus Icon(something or other) and it didn't impress me as much as the Xoom.

There's a Walmart the next town over I might go to and see what they've got on hand.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #36
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Stopped by staples. Really impressed with the Xoom. Loads web pages faster than my laptop. I even popped into CA here and it was loaded before I realized it.
Read some on it, nice ereader. Music program is pretty nice. Didn't have a movie to watch on it, but had fun playing around with it.

Saw the BB Playbook, just too small for what I want. My eyes are getting bad, and I like the bigger tablet screens. The only other one they had was the Asus Icon(something or other) and it didn't impress me as much as the Xoom.

There's a Walmart the next town over I might go to and see what they've got on hand.
Good for you.
Keep messing with them.
They are like glasses. They don't all suit every person.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #37
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

Reporting back -

After 24 hours or so with the Galaxy Tab I can say that this is a FAR better android experience than the hacked Nook Color. Everything is smoother, much more polished and doesn't feel at all cobbled together. The hard buttons alone are worth it, add in the hardware acceleration and everything is smoother, menus open smoothly and it's far more responsive.

Piece of cake to root with SuperOneClick. Now I'm just waiting for a 100% working Gingerbread ROM for my CDMA Tab (official 2.3 ROM should be coming sometime soon so maybe that's what the Dev's are waiting for).
Old 06-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #38
GolfNut
Back in the woodshop!

Partagas

I went with the Xoom. Using it now in fact. Staples price matched Walmart at $569 then I got an additional $10 credit card cash back bonus, so it only ended up $559.

Loving the speed of this thing for sure. Watched a few streaming TV shows, the cameras are really nice. Kindle AP runs perfect on it and the screen size is great for me reading. Lots of games that I enjoy are free in the market so I have plenty to do on it.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #39
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
I went with the Xoom. Using it now in fact. Staples price matched Walmart at $569 then I got an additional $10 credit card cash back bonus, so it only ended up $559.

Loving the speed of this thing for sure. Watched a few streaming TV shows, the cameras are really nice. Kindle AP runs perfect on it and the screen size is great for me reading. Lots of games that I enjoy are free in the market so I have plenty to do on it.
Congrats!

Forrest, keeping I'm mind the iPad2 is lightning fast as compared to the original, all other things equal, given you now have both the original and the Xoom in your household, candidly how do they compare to you?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #40
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

Quote:

Congrats!! SO cool.