Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Reaver2145

Default Gurkha the monticristo of NCs

I just had my 15 ever gurkha tonight a assassin robusto and after a quick pre draw i though to myself "oh not again" yep it was plugged but i pressed on anyway trying to nurse it and after the half way mark it pretty much exploded on me.

So that went in the stinky and i got down to some thinking construction wise (or lack there of) is a gurkha the bastard child of the cuban montecristo line as both seem to churn out a ton of cigars both seem to have issues maintaining quality construction (13/15 of the gurkhas have either been plugged,soft,loose or exploded)

So dose anyone els find the Gurkhas to be inconsistent or am i just having a really bad run of luck and if i am can you suggest a good Gurkha with a flavour other than burning carpet maybe dark chocolate and spice with earthy notes like a nice montie edmundo.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Gurkha the monticristo of NCs

A LOT of guys on here hate Ghurkas. I've bought a couple boxes for $50, and I've had a couple of their Status, and the one infused with Cognac. I didn't have any problems. Maybe I'm really lucky?
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

I have never had a clogged Gurkha... I have probably smoked more Gurkha cigars than any other manufacturers... I would check your B&M, maybe they are over humidifying...
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver2145 View Post
I just had my 15 ever gurkha tonight a assassin robusto and after a quick pre draw i though to myself "oh not again" yep it was plugged but i pressed on anyway trying to nurse it and after the half way mark it pretty much exploded on me.

So that went in the stinky and i got down to some thinking construction wise (or lack there of) is a gurkha the bastard child of the cuban montecristo line as both seem to churn out a ton of cigars both seem to have issues maintaining quality construction (13/15 of the gurkhas have either been plugged,soft,loose or exploded)

So dose anyone els find the Gurkhas to be inconsistent or am i just having a really bad run of luck and if i am can you suggest a good Gurkha with a flavour other than burning carpet maybe dark chocolate and spice with earthy notes like a nice montie edmundo.
I'm not sure such a cigar exists.

I would respectfully suggest punctuation in your posts. Without it, it makes for a difficult read.

I find Cuban Montecristos to be of much higher quality in flavor and construction. Just one man's opinion.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
Reaver2145

Arr my introduction thread explains the spelling/grammar you dont have to be respectful about it it just sucks dont worry im not trying to torture your eyes.....or am i.

As for B&Ms it shouldn't be the problem Gurkha dosnt exist on the English market so i have to have them shipped from America and i make sure to store them for at least a month in my humi between 60-65% before smoking them.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I'm not sure such a cigar exists.

I would respectfully suggest punctuation in your posts. Without it, it makes for a difficult read.

I find Cuban Montecristos to be of much higher quality in flavor and construction. Just one man's opinion.

The things you see if you live long enough.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Arr my introduction thread explains the spelling/grammar you dont have to be respectful about it it just sucks dont worry im not trying to torture your eyes.....or am i.

As for B&Ms it shouldn't be the problem Gurkha dosnt exist on the English market so i have to have them shipped from America and i make sure to store them for at least a month in my humi between 60-65% before smoking them.
You live in England and you're importing Gurkhas? Isn't that like living in Colombia and importing crystal meth?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:

I just read your intro and understand. I will be sure and read your posts carefully.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
Reaver2145

@lenguamor HAHA good point but no i like the change of pace of NC cigars there is nothing like it coming out of cuba just like there is nothing like a cuban coming out of any NC sticks.

@pnoon Dont worry its like learning Russian youll get the hang of it eventually or just drown yourself in vodka to make the pain go away.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post
You live in England and you're importing Gurkha's? Isn't that like living in Colombia and importing crystal meth?
Best post ever....

I never expected to see Gurkha's compared to Monte's! maybe VS or reyes...
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
@lenguamor HAHA good point but no i like the change of pace of NC cigars there is nothing like it coming out of cuba just like there is nothing like a cuban coming out of any NC sticks.

@pnoon Dont worry its like learning Russian youll get the hang of it eventually or just drown yourself in gin to make the pain go away.
Fixed your post for you.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

First Name: Jarrod
Trading: (51)
Partagas
JenksAnejo has a spectacular aura aboutJenksAnejo has a spectacular aura about

Gurkha's? Come on man!
JenksAnejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #13
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:

@pnoon Dont worry its like learning Russian youll get the hang of it eventually or just drown yourself in vodka to make the pain go away.
These are great points.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #14
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

I've only bought some of the gurkha's found on Cigar Bid, which I'm not sure are even part of their normal line you would find in an actual shop. Few have been plugged. There's only 1 that I really didn't care for, the rest have been decent for how cheap they were. Their wrappers kind of irk me though.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #15
Reaver2145

Quote:
Fixed your post for you.
Gin you say ill crack out the Hendricks then.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Gin you say ill crack out the Hendricks then.
Love me some Hendricks.
Do you enjoy/follow football?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #17
Reaver2145

Quote:
Love me some Hendricks.
Do you enjoy/follow football?
English or American

Cos i support Chelsea nothing like having a crook for a boss but my real interest in good old rugby.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #18
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
English or American

Cos i support Chelsea nothing like having a crook for a boss but my real interest in good old rugby.
English, of course. That is real football.
Liverpool supporter here. Hate Man-****ing-U. Not fond of Arsenal either.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #19
44stampede
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brett
Trading: (21)
Cohiba
44stampede will become famous soon enough

I am a newbie for sure but almost every Gurkha I have smoked has been bad to real bad. THe exception was the Legend Series VI I got from Cigar Bid. It is decent for the price (not great). From the amount I have learned from the guys and gals on this site and tasting a bunch, I would not buy another Gurkha. Unfortunately I learned that after buying a bunch. I still have to find a place for 20+ of my stash that I can't bear to light up.

I wouldn't compare them to a Cuban MC. I have had some not burn well of my MC 4s but overall quality is pretty good and the taste was consistent.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #20
44stampede
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brett
Trading: (21)
Cohiba
44stampede will become famous soon enough

Quote:
English, of course. That is real football.
Liverpool supporter here. Hate Man-****ing-U. Not fond of Arsenal either.
Sucks about this last game then eh?

My good buddy is a Liverpool fan and I love busting his balls at their mediocrity.