Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #1
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Ethan
Trading: (1)
Flounder is on a distinguished road
Default What to save? What to give?

So I am looking tomorrow-ish to spring on a couple samplers and a box of Lot 23's.

My question to you guys, are there any sticks you have that you dont give up for free?

For example, frequently I have buddies over for a smoke and such, like to night, or when I go out once in a blue moon my roomate will ask to join me, and I usually leave my humidor open and it's on a "take whatever you want" basis. This is with the exception of my Perdomo 10th Ann. Champagne that I am saving for Christmas.

I know most of y'all are pretty generous is your sticks as I have experienced with the bombs, NST's and people I have met from here (ie, Dball). But is there like 2 assortments you keep, as in you will open this humidor open to anyone, but also keep a humidor that are just for you?

Just curious how you guys differentiate, if at all.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What to save? What to give?

Personally, I have a huge cabinet with roughly 2000 sticks that I generally let friends browse in.....except for one drawer. That one is mine. Mostly singles....uniques that I have obtained through trade with brothers here, gifts from friends, sticks with meaning more than tobacco. If you visit me, you are welcome to sample all that I have. Except that drawer. Those are my babies and are not sold or given except on rare occasions and for solemn purposes. If you are smoking a cigar from that drawer, something momentus has occurred and we are marking the occasion with burnt offerings. Or you stole it, and will soon die. One of the two.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:48 AM   #3
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

Nothing wrong with having some specials sticks you will be the only one smoking.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Generally, If I only have one of something and I haven't tried it yet I don't let anyone take it...
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #5
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Don't give any away, horde them all and tell everyone to get bent
Old 12-09-2011, 01:10 AM   #6
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I just let friends browse at will. Doesn't bother me as long as I know they'll smoke them entirely and not just halfway.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:15 AM   #7
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I just let friends browse at will. Doesn't bother me as long as I know they'll smoke them entirely and not just halfway.
I like 51/100'ths.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:17 AM   #8
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I like 51/100'ths.

I was kinda partial to around 17/100, but only for brick and mortar cigars as they are better
Old 12-09-2011, 01:33 AM   #9
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

I only have a couple close friends that are allowed to rumage thru the coolers. Anything they pick is A-OK... this included a 100 year old cigar once Other than those people, I'll pick out something nice for them.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:03 AM   #10
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Much like Scott said: I have a couple "sticks with meaning more than tobacco", but for the most part, my friends and guests are welcome to what I have, and if they ask me to choose, I give them from my best.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:13 AM   #11
thechrisdotcom

Trading: (2)
thechrisdotcom has disabled reputation

I usually pick for my friends if we're going to smoke. But I try to pick something out that they'll enjoy. I only do this cuz my humidors are in my wife and I's bedroom. Plus I've kind of have a couple boxes on hand of everyday/share with friends cigars.
thechrisdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:19 AM   #12
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

For me it depends, if it is a non-smoker friend I prefer they smoke something cheaper. I don't think they will enjoy a good cigar much more than a budget stick. I don't let my friends browse I just grab something I think they will enjoy.
If it is a bomb or MAW/PIF I don't mind sending anything I have unless it was a HTF gifted stick, I don't like to send gifted sticks unless I have a few of the same stick.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:24 AM   #13
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

I have a drawer for me. Everything else is fair game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:24 AM   #14
ktblunden
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (6)
RA
ktblunden is on a distinguished road

The only people I've shared cigars with (other than sending stuff to people on forums) haven't been cigar smokers, so I hand pick something that I think will work with a new palate, won't be too strong, and I won't be heartbroken if they only smoke a little of it. As far as sending stuff to BOTL's through forums, there isn't much in my collection that I won't send, other than gifts I've gotten from other people and some of the more rare ones.
ktblunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #15
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

If they like Arganese, they can have anything in my Humi!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #16
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

I have given non-smokers great sticks only to see them let it burn out after the first third and then say well I was done anyway. I can't give them something too cheap or they get upset. I think non-smokers like the idea of smoking a good cigar better than the act of smoking a good cigar!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:35 AM   #17
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
The only people I've shared cigars with (other than sending stuff to people on forums) haven't been cigar smokers, so I hand pick something that I think will work with a new palate, won't be too strong, and I won't be heartbroken if they only smoke a little of it. As far as sending stuff to BOTL's through forums, there isn't much in my collection that I won't send, other than gifts I've gotten from other people and some of the more rare ones.
This...but i do prefer they smoke more than half. However, knowing that I was picking it out for them as something they "may" like...they "may" also not, so no hard feelings.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:37 AM   #18
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
I have given non-smokers great sticks only to see them let it burn out after the first third and then say well I was done anyway. I can't give them something too cheap or they get upset. I think non-smokers like the idea of smoking a good cigar better than the act of smoking a good cigar!
I'll second that as well! I have also found that sometimes people look at the bands and if it is fancy then it must be expensive
Old 12-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #19
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaase321 View Post
I'll second that as well! I have also found that sometimes people look at the bands and if it is fancy then it must be expensive
MOW Virtue is the perfect non-smoker give out stick IMO. The band is pretty and they are not too strong for a non-smoker. I personally don't care for them so it is perfect!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #20
ktblunden
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (6)
RA
ktblunden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
MOW Virtue is the perfect non-smoker give out stick IMO. The band is pretty and they are not too strong for a non-smoker. I personally don't care for them so it is perfect!
Brilliant! It's a nice, flavorful mild smoke too.
ktblunden is offline   Reply With Quote