Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default LCD vs. LED

My 32" Samsung LCD in my bedroom is taking a fit.
Some shadow like lines/markings are showing up on my picture that appear to be permanently burned in.
At times it is becoming annoying so I have been looking around to replace it and just go bigger to a 40".

I recently saw the LED version of mine and the image is unreal as compared to an LCD. Not to mention the TV is supposed to be much more energy efficient and is practically just slightly thicker than paper.

I am a member of Consumer Reports and searched but can't find too many LED models and can't find the Samsung 40" I am looking at.

Anyone know if aside from a much better picture, if LED is more reliable? I can't phantom buying another TV for over $1,000, to see the price later drop by 2/3's, to then have it break down. I guess that is what modern technology is all about.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
MortonMilo
Blowing smoke

First Name: R
Trading: (10)
MortonMilo has disabled reputation
Default Re: LCD vs. LED

I've currently got the Samsung 46" un46b7100. The picture is incredible. Takes some adjustments to the picture settings at first to make it look good. As mine was an edge-lit LED model, some dark scenes would tend to be very hard to see. Aside from that problem at the beginning, I highly recommend Samsung tv's. Their LED-LCD sets are second to none.
MortonMilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

I don't think a 32" LED should be costing you over $1k since Fry's has a Samsung 120mhz 55" LED for $1500. Whatever you decide on...LED/LCD 60mhz/120mhz 42"+/- just don't rush on the purchase. Technology changes so rapidly that prices fall.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
scoop

I was looking at TV's last week at Best Buy and the LED's are sweet. I purchased a Samsung 46" LCD 6 months ago and wish I would have waited and bought a LED. Still happy though the HD picture is incredible.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
OHMatt
Klugs gave me Gurkas

First Name: Matt
Trading: (2)
HdM
OHMatt will become famous soon enough

Calling these TVs "LED" is kind of inaccurate, they are actually LED-backlight LCD televisions. They both use liquid crystal (LCD) screen. What varies is how the screen is back-light; most LCDs use Cold Cathode Florescent Light Bars but "LED TVs" use arrays of LEDs around the perimeter. Manufacturers can produce better blacks on LCD TVs because a few LEDs can be fired instead of powering up a whole light bar.

There are also two types of LED Backlighting: Edge or RGB Dynamic. Each has benefits and drawbacks. The model you are looking at, since you mentioned it is paper-thin is probably Edge light.

LEDs have a longer life span than Fluorescent bulbs, and if an individual LED fails, you are likely not to even notice it; however the control circuitry for LED arrays will surely be more complicated than the bulb - I say reliability is probably a crap shoot between them..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
My 32" Samsung LCD in my bedroom is taking a fit.
Some shadow like lines/markings are showing up on my picture that appear to be permanently burned in.
At times it is becoming annoying so I have been looking around to replace it and just go bigger to a 40".

I recently saw the LED version of mine and the image is unreal as compared to an LCD. Not to mention the TV is supposed to be much more energy efficient and is practically just slightly thicker than paper.

I am a member of Consumer Reports and searched but can't find too many LED models and can't find the Samsung 40" I am looking at.

Anyone know if aside from a much better picture, if LED is more reliable? I can't phantom buying another TV for over $1,000, to see the price later drop by 2/3's, to then have it break down. I guess that is what modern technology is all about.
OHMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
skullnrose
Ashes,ashes,all fall down

First Name: Scott
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
skullnrose is on a distinguished road

I just recently bought a Sony KDL 46EX701 Edge lit led at costco and couldn't be more happy with it. The costco model of this TV comes with the wireless dongle so you can stream Netflix or Amazon on demand ect.. If you buy the TV at Bestbuy you will have to buy the dongle separately ($100 and backorderd) Costco includes a 3 year warranty and If you use Amex you extended it to 4 Years. I have almost always bought Samsung TV's but to me the Sony just had a better picture.

For me this was a Bedroom TV so I wasn't going to be super critical with every aspect of the TV. An edge lit LED will give you some " Flash lighting" do to having the LED's located on the edge. This will be most notable while viewing a pure black screen but I haven't noticed it yet during normal viewing. If you think the Flash lighting effect will bother you look in to a Backlit LED but be prepared to pay a premium.

If I can help in any way feel free to drop me a PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:37 AM   #7
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

First Name: Colin
Trading: (1)
Partagas
colinb913 is on a distinguished road

have the 55" samsung led 120 hertz in my basement and I love it. But I cant play xbox on it.. it just feels weird.
Posted via Mobile Device
colinb913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb913 View Post
have the 55" samsung led 120 hertz in my basement and I love it. But I cant play xbox on it.. it just feels weird.
Posted via Mobile Device
that's because you didn't change the setting on the 120mhz to game settings reducing lag.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
skullnrose

HUpmann

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Does it just feel weird due to the size or are you having some other issue?

Mugen910 beat me to it. Usually it has to do with the motion flow settings.

Last edited by skullnrose; 05-14-2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: added
skullnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

First Name: Colin
Trading: (1)
Partagas
colinb913 is on a distinguished road

It is picture lag. Do I change settings on the xbox or TV? The tv seems to change to 120 when watching blu-ray,
Posted via Mobile Device
colinb913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #11
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

As I understand it, one of he other advantages to the LED sets is that they produce much less heat. Always a factor in terms of wear-and-tear, etc.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #12
skullnrose

HUpmann

Quote:
It is picture lag. Do I change settings on the xbox or TV? The tv seems to change to 120 when watching blu-ray,
Posted via Mobile Device
There should be an option to turn the motion settings off in the TV's menu. Some TV's have a Game mode setting depending on the TV.

Try going over to the AVS Forum and search for your TV Model these people rip into everything TV like we rip into everything cigar.

Last edited by skullnrose; 05-14-2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Added AVS
skullnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

I have a Samsung LN55B650 Touch of Color 55" LCD and am quite happy with it. Maybe when the LED technology becomes old news I'll spring for one, but any new technology is expensive technology.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #14
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Carlos - A big plasma fan here, so all I can do is send some info your way. Trying doing some research before you buy. You can start here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/televisions/...OCleftColumn.0

Also, google the model numbers of your interests and see how they perform.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

I just bought a 55" LED from Samsung that rocks. In my opinion, way better than LED and more flexible with regard to location and viewing options as well. This is the one we bought

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...=1218176210288
Old 05-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #16
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Carlos, I'm like Jamie. I have two plasmas and a DLP.
I've looked at LED laptop displays, and the tv's at the store. I don't get it.
I wouldn't own an lcd tv, I think they suck. The picture is choppy, the viewing angle is poor, they just plain suck from start to finish, at least in my world.
If I were to buy a new tv right now, it'd be plasma if I could find one.
Maybe once the LED's come down in price and they get the bugs worked out, I'd jump. I wouldn't own another DLP, even though I love mine. It's broken more often than not, and didn't work for an entire year when I got it. They finally sent a guy from 200 miles away to fix it.
I do think LED is where it's all going to stop, and we'll settle in with that technology, if only for the energy savings. I'm going to look at them a little closer now and see what's to like. I suppose I should get up to speed.
Good luck, however you decide, brother!!!
Old 05-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #17
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

I have a Plasma and a DLP. Both Samsung.
We bought the DLP due to the price for that size. 61" would have cost 4x a plasma when we bought it almost 4 years ago. No issues and still gonig on the original bulb.
I love the colors on the plasma.
I did not like the LCDs when I was shopping and the LEDs had not come out yet, so I have not researched them at all.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #18
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Samsung LED is the best thing on the market right now (without spending a whole lot more) and far far superior to the other LED's produced. Costco has had some Samsung LED's at good prices recently but you never know what they will have at any given time.

LED has a tremendously longer life than Plasma or DLP.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #19
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aich75013 View Post
I have a Plasma and a DLP. Both Samsung.
We bought the DLP due to the price for that size. 61" would have cost 4x a plasma when we bought it almost 4 years ago. No issues and still gonig on the original bulb.
I love the colors on the plasma.
I did not like the LCDs when I was shopping and the LEDs had not come out yet, so I have not researched them at all.
I have a 4 year old Samsung 61" and replaced the $150 bulb last year and now the color wheel went out (a common failure) and it is ovder $500 for the repair so it is going to the $hit Can. Hello LED!
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #20
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Carlos, yet another site to keep your eye on.

http://slickdeals.net/