Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (15)
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough
Default Tattoo Artist+Shop suggestion in FL?

Hopefully during the summer or soon after I will get my second tattoo. With that being said I've talked to Jaime about a particular shop in Ybor and artist that more than likely I will go to, HOWEVER that doesn't mean I don't want to see what other people may have to say. I'd say the farthest I'd go is only about 1.5 hours in any direction of Orlando OR 1.5 hours in any direction of Gainesville. If you could provide the shop and artist name so I can perhaps see their work that would be greatly appreciated.
ucubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation
Default Re: Tattoo Artist+Shop suggestion in FL?

Normally, I wouldn't go into the tourist traps, but Corey Hart's place ay City Walk is a great placeto get inked.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Skinfinity Ink in Winter Haven. Have spent many an hour on the table. The owner, Heather, Is also a RN. Awesome work.

Skinfinityink.com.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
ucubed
Corona Cigars

ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

Specific artist Pete? and is that who you would recommend Ogre?
Old 04-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I recommend Heather, she does awesome work. All the Artist there are great though.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Go where you feel comfortable. Nothing more, nothing less. If it takes a drive 4 hours north, then that is where u go.

Anything less and one of these days you will second guess your decision.

I have 7 now, and every one I have been comfortable with my artist. These days I am lucky enough to have a guy whom I trust implicitly.

When you get to a point where you can place that kind of trust to your artist, the rest is easy, until you get to that point, you will be asking questions.

In short, find someone you can rely on, and go there. No matter what it takes. You live with these decisions for the rest of your life.

Hope that didnt come off too serious, but there is really nothing more serious than a crappy tattoo you are stuck with for the next 40-60 years.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #7
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucubed View Post
Specific artist Pete? and is that who you would recommend Ogre?
Forget the guys name, but he did some tribal stuff on my arm. I had just left Margarittaville up City Walk a bit and woke up with nothing to show but this brand new tattoo.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
glassjapan
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (11)
glassjapan is on a distinguished road

I'll second Scott's (Eleven) thoughts and take it to the next step. People don't mind spending their money on cars, big screens, watches, cigars, whatever. And then they go and price shop for tattoos. And you normally get what you pay for. Your tattoo will last a lot longer than any material possession. It's FOREVER....I say, figure out what you truly want on your body and then go get the best artist in the country (for that genre) to do it. You want some black & gray? Go see Jose Lopez or Carlos Torres in SoCal. Tom Renshaw or Bob Tyrrell in MI.....Paul Booth in NYC. For color there are incredible artists all over the country. Jess Yen in CA, Guy or Hannah Aitchison in IL, Shane O'Neil in DE. The amount of sick artists in this country is staggering. Save your money up and go get someone that will blow you away.
glassjapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
ucubed
Corona Cigars

Not to be rude or brash or even condescending, but I find the comments about going to somewhere you are comfortable with common sense and pointless. The point of me asking was to find an artist that was respectable among other people. I already have a tattoo and I know how it works, I've done my research on the artist who did mine, I'm not an idiot. What's wrong with finding a different artist, I have no need to have 10 tattoos by the same person, though it doesn't bother me if I did. However this is me finding a new artist and in order to find someone I can rely on, I first take on recommendations, which is what I am doing now. I will then do my own research by looking at their portfolio's and see if I like that particular artist's work.

I'm not one to support someone if I can not meet them in person hence I want to find local artists. There is nothing wrong with artists in my surrounding area and their is certainly no need for me to travel a crazy distance just to find "the best in the United States". Heck I know an artist in Japan who I'd love to go get one done, but that is just illogical and irrational at this time. The main problem I have with saving money and traveling somewhere to get one done is that if I don't like the artist I meet, then it would have been wasted. It's not about what the artist has done or their massive experience and what not, but I may just not like them. People may acknowledge them as "the best", but there are others right in my area who may not be poplar or mainstream which is no big deal. The place and person I choose will be the person that I think has done great work.

I appreciate the advice and all, but that's not what I'm asking for here. I know tattoos are near permanent and I know what happens if you get a bad one, but this is why I'm asking other people who have had positive experiences with an artist from people I trust. Again I'm not trying to be a douche bag, but also try and remember what I'm asking for.