Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 12-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Here's some bad news on five finger bags.

I managed to get in touch with the gentleman that drop-ships five finger bags for Gargoyle and found out what's up.
Gargoyle isn't out of business.
Though he had no idea their website was down and that their phone numbers no longer work, he assured me that they're changing the way they do things, still exist, and are phasing out cigar paraphenalia.
So far as five finger bags go, they're not going to happen. There are gazillions of three finger bags sitting in the warehouse and they absolutely have to be moved out or there will never be any more five finger bags.
That's for sure.

As the conversation happened I got the distinct impression that there just will never be any more finger bags, period (once the three fingers are gone).
This is just one of a bunch of products the parent company offers, it's a very low profit item, and although they're important to us and we love them, their importance to the manufacturer and distributor is near zero.

I also found that they are patented. As such, manufacture is protected to the extent of the patent. That doesn't mean that someone can't make five fingered resealable bags, it just means that no one can make them the way they're made, kinda.
Long story short is that I've talked to a few poly bag makers and so far they can only make two finger bags.

The point of sharing this story is that I've been waiting for months on five finger bags to become available again. I know lots of you guys are waiting, too. I've decided I'm not waiting anymore because it looks like I'm waiting for something that's not going to happen at least in the next year and it's highly likely that they'll never be available again.

I'm going to continue to try to get them made if at all possible, but that looks less likely with each conversation I have.
I know how to make them, but they'd take lots of hand time and cost a lot, so although I could make them for myself, making them for others is highly unlikely.
It may be a good idea to get some three fingers while you can. I had a bunch but I just cleared them out in the WTS forum. I'm not sure if I can score any more, either.
Sorry, guys. I thought some of you might like to know this stuff.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Here's some bad news on five finger bags.

Bummer.

I will certainly be reusing ALL of the bags that I have/received. Even the ones with writing, etc.

Thanks for doing the research Scott.
AD720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
j-easy

Thanks for the info, I was waiting for them to become available before i jumped in on the noob pass and PIF. you spoke about making your own 5 finger bags, if you don't plan on making them and selling them would you mind sharing some information, is this something all the BOTL could make at home for themselves with some basic equipment?
Old 12-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Thanks for letting us know Scott! Are they willing to give us a super deal on the three finger bags?? I see a potential group buy in the works.

Also, when I visited JR Cigar in NYC they putall your purchases in SIX finger bags. I wonder if these are made by the same manufacturer???

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
av8tor152d
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jason
Trading: (21)
RA Army (Disabled Vet)
av8tor152d will become famous soon enoughav8tor152d will become famous soon enough

Good to know Scott. Might have to grab up some of the 3 finger bags myself.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #6
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

That does stink. I think we all need to committ to recycling our 5 finger bags.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-easy View Post
you spoke about making your own 5 finger bags, if you don't plan on making them and selling them would you mind sharing some information, is this something all the BOTL could make at home for themselves with some basic equipment?
You can make finger bags with an impulse sealer.
The heat has to be perfect and the bag has to be of the right material to work without making holes. It's a tightrope act to get everything right and will probably require resistorizing the impulse sealer, blah, blah, blah.
So the answer is "maybe". If it turns out to be real simple, I'll definately share whatever I find out with the brothers here.
If it turns out to be tough, I'll just build an impulse sealer with four elements and make them myself by the gobs.
It's a project that's about 20 deep in the shilala cue right now, but I think it's worthwhile. I just need to get things off my bench before I can mess with it. I gotta make some money before I end up living in Vinnie's basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post

Also, when I visited JR Cigar in NYC they putall your purchases in SIX finger bags. I wonder if these are made by the same manufacturer???
I'm sure someone somewhere can make more than two compartments in a bag. I just haven't found them yet.
Minimum order is always 35,000+ bags, so you got that, too.
It's very highly unlikely that the patent owner does the manufacture, so if I get lucky I should be able to find the guy with the machine that makes the bags. If I can do that, I'm sure he'll be able to help out.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Hmmm Thanks for the info Scott. Do we have a source on the 3 finger stuff. As teh fiver is now dead and teh sixer is the new standard
Old 12-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
Hmmm Thanks for the info Scott. Do we have a source on the 3 finger stuff. As teh fiver is now dead and teh sixer is the new standard
Mike, I don't even know if a guy can order 3 fingers now.
Gargoyle's website is gone and their numbers are disconnected.
I don't even know if I still have the dropshipper's address and he sounded like he won't/doesn't take orders. I more or less asked him, too.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:39 PM   #10
tenbaseg
Saying no to daily deals!

First Name: Garrett
Trading: (40)
tenbaseg will become famous soon enoughtenbaseg will become famous soon enough

Jeez. I was just about to post a WTB for some finger bags. I have ZERO left.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully something will emerge soon.
tenbaseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Bummer. That blows. Those little bags rocked.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #12
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the info. I just don't understand why they don't raise the prices of the bags if they are not making much of a profit off of them.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:42 PM   #13
Yazzie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mark
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
Yazzie will become famous soon enough

Look on the bright side. when they are all gone we will just have to start sending each other full boxes
Yazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Thanks for the info. I just don't understand why they don't raise the prices of the bags if they are not making much of a profit off of them.
If Gargoyle is doing away with cigar accessories, price doesn't matter. Even if they double the price, it isn't going to make any difference in an unprofitable line of items.
I would have thought they sell more of these bags than they obviously do, but if you consider that you can only buy them at one place in the world, they must not have been concerned about marketing them.
Kinda like me and my beads.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #15
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
If Gargoyle is doing away with cigar accessories, price doesn't matter. Even if they double the price, it isn't going to make any difference in an unprofitable line of items.
I would have thought they sell more of these bags than they obviously do, but if you consider that you can only buy them at one place in the world, they must not have been concerned about marketing them.
Kinda like me and my beads.
Ummm If you get out of the bead business, can we get a heads up to order some
Old 12-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #16
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
When I get out of the bead business, it'll be because passed the whole shootin' match off to someone who wants to make some money.
That's what I do. I invent stuff, do all the fun parts, and then pass it along. Been doing it for lots of years and I've created some really cool stuff.
I just don't enjoy the business/marketing/selling thing. It's too much drudgery and the whole time I'm doing it I just want to be doing something else. I tried it. Blech.
I LOVE researching and inventing stuff, it makes me happy.
All the rest sucks.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:14 PM   #17
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

For those of you that use a LOT of finger bags, you can buy a Traco TISH-100 Impulse Sealer for around 50 dollars. Buy boxes of 1000 polypropylene bags in the size you need and seal your own finger bags down to custom sizes.

I have access to a slightly larger one, the TISH-200 that does an 8" long seal (the 100 model has a 4" seal), so I can adjust my seal size as needed. Both models make a seal about 2mm wide, and as far as I've been using it, I buy just plain cheap 8x8 or 8x10 2mil/4mil poly bags for around 35-40 dollars for a case of 1000.

Granted that's a time consuming effort if I needed 1000 bags right away, but I have a handful made and can make a handful more if I ever need them.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:14 PM   #18
av8tor152d
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jason
Trading: (21)
RA Army (Disabled Vet)
av8tor152d will become famous soon enoughav8tor152d will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I agree Scott I would have to order enough to fill any and all storage devices I would possibly ever own. To include my B&M when I retire from the Army.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #19
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silound View Post
For those of you that use a LOT of finger bags, you can buy a Traco TISH-100 Impulse Sealer for around 50 dollars. Buy boxes of 1000 polypropylene bags in the size you need and seal your own finger bags down to custom sizes.

I have access to a slightly larger one, the TISH-200 that does an 8" long seal (the 100 model has a 4" seal), so I can adjust my seal size as needed. Both models make a seal about 2mm wide, and as far as I've been using it, I buy just plain cheap 8x8 or 8x10 2mil/4mil poly bags for around 35-40 dollars for a case of 1000.

Granted that's a time consuming effort if I needed 1000 bags right away, but I have a handful made and can make a handful more if I ever need them.
Can you keep them airtight with that sealer? We used different sealers back in the day to seal the same material (gussetted poly bags) and they were an incredible pain in the ass to keep them the right temperature. I can't even imagine how painful it'd be putting 4000 seals in 1000 bags.
I used to have a girlfriend whose parents owned a balloon business. I used to get coralled into making balloons when they did parades and weddings. We used heat sealers on the mylar balloons.
I had about a 500 balloon limit and I was looking for the door.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #20
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tor152d View Post
I agree Scott I would have to order enough to fill any and all storage devices I would possibly ever own. To include my B&M when I retire from the Army.
I'm gonna go put five pounds on the WTS board right now.
Consider yourself heads upped.