Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 12-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #441
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Official SEC Football Thread 2011

haha, USC, huh? That would be good, no doubt. The only facet of your analysis that I do not necessarily think
holds MUCH water is the wins versus top ten teams. IT IS A TELLING STAT, but in reality it shouldn't weigh
too highly, simply because of the difficulty in scheduling. You can't expect all viable teams to be able to successfully
schedule super-competition, or to be able to plan far enough in advance to get it done in practical terms. That said,
you need to play good teams to have a shot at the respect you need to be in that one game that REALLY matters.

That's where I think your top 25 stat shines. THAT is a reasonable stat to hold up as viable for more teams.
You don't see a lot of GA Southerns and McNeese St.'s and Sisters of the Poor on OK St's resume. (I do not have
their schedule available, maybe they do) I agree, I think it is not only more fair but more interesting to give another
team a shot at LSU. If bama had not been AT HOME when they lost, I would likely be a little more convinced. I am
on record as thinking OT losses and wins are a toss up, I think you get it done in regulation if you want to be taken
seriously, but AT HOME and under SUCH conditions of being the favorite.,,not good.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #442
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Alabama had their shot at this LSU team(who I personally don't think can be beat by anyone we are talking about), so give the team that earned their shot a try.
This always makes me smile. For the past 5 years we've had vocal non-SEC fans say the SEC team in the title game is overrated. Hell, I remember ESPN saying the '06 Ohio State offense was one of the best ever and Florida held 'em to 82 yards of TOTAL offense. Both Bama and LSU would do the same thing to any of this year's teams

One of the reasons I want a playoff system is to prove yet again, as if the past 5 years haven't, that the SEC dominates
Old 12-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #443
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
This always makes me smile. For the past 5 years we've had vocal non-SEC fans say the SEC team in the title game is overrated. Hell, I remember ESPN saying the '06 Ohio State offense was one of the best ever and Florida held 'em to 82 yards of TOTAL offense. Both Bama and LSU would do the same thing to any of this year's teams

One of the reasons I want a playoff system is to prove yet again, as if the past 5 years haven't, that the SEC dominates
I think you misread that one, I think he is saying that it doesn't matter, because in his mind, none of the other
teams we are talking about seem capable of beating LSU, anyway. I think most people agree that SEC football is the
peak of power and balance in football today. They don't like it much, but it has indeed been made clear of late.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #444
OLS
Suck It

Let me tell you ANOTHER reason why I think OK state is going to get into the slot in New Orleans.
I think the voters have been grudgingly swallowing a rematch given all the attrition taking place
all over the field of battle before them. They have been holding their breath hoping a team would
rise to the challenge and give them a viable and believable resume with which to avoid the REAL
controversy nationwide that would ensue were they to vote in a rematch A., and B. a inter-conference
rematch, and C. a SEC INTER-CONFERENCE REMATCH. I am not saying they want to avoid controversy
at all costs, but I would bet that they hear the drums beating for the abolition of the system they have set up.
It never ends, every year you have furious fans. Not what you are looking for in a system that's designed
to create a concensus No.1. I say they JUMP at the chance to bump bama out of the title game.
------edit----------
Ehhh, JUMP at the chance to vote bama out is a real stretch. COVER SHOULD they vote bama out is more like it.

Last edited by OLS; 12-04-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #445
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Let me tell you ANOTHER reason why I think OK state is going to get into the slot in New Orleans.
I think the voters have been grudgingly swallowing a rematch given all the attrition taking place
all over the field of battle before them. They have been holding their breath hoping a team would
rise to the challenge and give them a viable and believable resume with which to avoid the REAL
controversy nationwide that would ensue were they to vote in a rematch A., and B. a inter-conference
rematch, and C. a SEC INTER-CONFERENCE REMATCH. I am not saying they want to avoid controversy
at all costs, but I would bet that they hear the drums beating for the abolition of the system they have set up.
It never ends, every year you have furious fans. Not what you are looking for in a system that's designed
to create a concensus No.1. I say they JUMP at the chance to bump bama out of the title game.
------edit----------
Ehhh, JUMP at the chance to vote bama out is a real stretch. COVER SHOULD they vote bama out is more like it.
It's Possible, Brad. 50-50 Chance?
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #446
OLS
Suck It

I'd say you have 80% bama - 20 % Oklahoma State. It should come down to how the voters want to be seen.
Do they want to be seen as realistic consumers of football or as accountants and arbiters of fairness across
the national spectrum. Most fans of brutal, power football that want to see the pure game played at the
highest level see it as a no-brainer...bama is in. There are other fans that see the SEC as a bunch of cheating
football programs with loudmouth, arrogant fans. Who do the voters play to?

Last edited by OLS; 12-04-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #447
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'd say you have 80% bama - 20 % Oklahoma State. It should come down to how the voters want to be seen.
Do they want to be seen as realistic consumers of football or as accountants and arbiters of fairness across
the national spectrum. Most fans of brutal, power football that want to see the pure game played at the
highest level see it as a no-brainer...bama is in. There are other fans that see the SEC as a bunch of cheating
Should Be Interesting. Guess We'll Have To Wait 'Til Tonite To Find Out.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #448
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
That is so insulting and the exact arrogance you recognize..... You assume if people do not agree with you, they don't know the game.....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #449
OLS
Suck It

Huh? I just provided MY estimate in addition to Greg's. I do not mean to infer that his is incorrect, not at all.
I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. I gave my reasoning and my analysis. Never once
did I even intimate that I was right and someone else was wrong. In fact, i don't even have a problem with
being WRONG here. I do not want bama in that game, but I am in a minority, especially here. Me wanting them
out and giving reasons why I think they should be out will in fact likely LEAD to me being wrong in this case.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #450
OLS
Suck It

EJ, who do you think is better than Alabama and LSU? You talk about not having a dog in the hunt,
but you clearly stated in your analysis that all this talk about them being the two best teams in the USA is crap.
With no SEC bias from me outside the fact that I pull for LSU, I think it is fairly clear that the two best teams
in the USA are bama and LSU. You are right in saying "that's why they play the games" because there has been nothing
but top dogs falling all season long. But I am not sure what you are thinking. You call my statements arrogant, but
to me it seems that your reasoning is that I think I know it all, or that I think that LSU and bama are the best there are.
Is it going to take LSU ripping OK state apart to prove to you that they are dominant? Because as you know, bama is not
going to be allowed to play OK state or USC or Stanford for the Nat. Champ. It's LSU and somebody. But if you put LSU
and bama head to head for it all, you are going to see two great teams once again basically tie. What I guess you want,
and I find reasonable, is both "top teams" playing a non-SEC powerhouse in two bowls and removing their organs. Basically two
national championship games. I AM a SEC fan, no doubt, but that's not why I think the way I do. I have looked
EVERYWHERE for a team that I thought could go for 60 minutes with either one of the two SEC dominators and
come out on top, and I do not think such a team exists. Again, I would hate to see LSU-bama in the end. It's not fair
to LSU or the rest of the NCAA. But GET a dog in the hunt, WHO do you think can beat either one?

And USC is not eligible, not from what I think but for what they got caught doing, so let's not go there...no hypotheticals.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #451
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Brad, to me that read "If the voters want a real football game, looking at this with their eyes wide open, it is a no brainer, LSU vs Alabama. If the voters want to appease fans of other conferences, squinting into thinking there is a team as good as either Alabama or LSU. Maybe giving some backlash to the "SEC, SEC, SEC" group think, then maybe they'll vote someone else gets in."

Apparently I am reading into the comments way too much, I apologize.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #452
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
EJ, who do you think is better than Alabama and LSU? You talk about not having a dog in the hunt,
but you clearly stated in your analysis that all this talk about them being the two best teams in the USA is crap.
With no SEC bias from me outside the fact that I pull for LSU, I think it is fairly clear that the two best teams
in the USA are bama and LSU. You are right in saying "that's why they play the games" because there has been nothing
but top dogs falling all season long. But I am not sure what you are thinking. You call my statements arrogant, but
to me it seems that your reasoning is that I think I know it all, or that I think that LSU and bama are the best there are.
Is it going to take LSU ripping OK state apart to prove to you that they are dominant? Because as you know, bama is not
going to be allowed to play OK state or USC or Stanford for the Nat. Champ. It's LSU and somebody. But if you put LSU
and bama head to head for it all, you are going to see two great teams once again basically tie. What I guess you want,
and I find reasonable, is both "top teams" playing a non-SEC powerhouse in two bowls and removing their organs. Basically two
national championship games. I AM a SEC fan, no doubt, but that's not why I think the way I do. I have looked
EVERYWHERE for a team that I thought could go for 60 minutes with either one of the two SEC dominators and
come out on top, and I do not think such a team exists. Again, I would hate to see LSU-bama in the end. It's not fair
to LSU or the rest of the NCAA. But GET a dog in the hunt, WHO do you think can beat either one?

And USC is not eligible, not from what I think but for what they got caught doing, so let's not go there...no hypotheticals.
Alabama is a great team, there is no doubt about that. But I cannot honestly say that I think Alabama is better than Oklahoma State, nor can I say that I think that Oklahoma State is better than Alabama. Hell, I couldn't say it about USC over either of them either(if they could play).... Hell, I didn't think OSU would go blow the pants off OU last night....it is why we play these games.

I don't bring in the PAC12 because Stanford didn't win it and Oregon already lost to LSU... I will also not bring into the discussion 2 loss teams, if everyone was 2 loss, but 'Bama....a rematch would be okay.

Things I do know. I know Alabama had their shot, at home, and lost...and IMO, with other deserving teams(I think OSU is one), they should not get a do-over. The regular season is the playoff we have in football.

Again, I think LSU is the cream of the crop and I don't think anyone will beat them....but they have to play the game and someone else should be given the chance.

Am late to go herf.....but have more thoughts.....
Old 12-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #453
OLS
Suck It

YOU are arrogant sir!!! You know how I know?? I agree with everything you say, lol.
I want to see LSU-OK St. in the Champ. and Alabama vs Boise/Stanford in some other bowl.
At the risk of acting like I am teaching people football/BCS, I will say that I know this because
in the end, it's all about the money. Fox would step in and say "Hold it, you give us LSU and Bama
in two DIFFERENT games and I will show you two blockbuster ratings creators. Without that, ehh,
who knows what people will watch." What you want to do with the results (co-champs etc) is up to you.
FOLLOW THE MONEY this time around, boys..
Old 12-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #454
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
YOU are arrogant sir!!! You know how I know?? I agree with everything you say, lol.
My Man.....
Old 12-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #455
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

I hate Craig James, but he's right.....
Old 12-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #456
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Done Deal. LSU-BAMA! Bring It On!
Old 12-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #457
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

I'm excited

I guess the only way to have an SEC team lose in the national title game is to have two of 'em play each other
Old 12-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #458
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
I'm excited

I guess the only way to have an SEC team lose in the national title game is to have two of 'em play each other
Good Point, Mike! Think I'll Smoke A Padron'26 To Celebrate! Roll, Tide!
Old 12-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #459
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
I'm excited

And now, the Big 10 doesn't have to worry about looking like weaklings in another national championship game against the SEC!!

I have to disagree strongly with what the OkSt coach said about what the fans want to see. He said something to the tune that the fans want to see a 36-35 National championship game, not a 6-3 game. If Oklahoma State played LSU in the game, it would be a 45-3 game (LSU winning), not a 36-35 game!!! What was he thinking about!!
Old 12-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #460
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
And now, the Big 10 doesn't have to worry about looking like weaklings in another national championship game against the SEC!!

I have to disagree strongly with what the OkSt coach said about what the fans want to see. He said something to the tune that the fans want to see a 36-35 National championship game, not a 6-3 game. What was he thinking??? If Oklahoma State played LSU in the game, it would be a 45-3 game (LSU winning), not a 36-35 game!!! What was he thinking about!!
True!