Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
airtrade
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Stefan
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
airtrade is on a distinguished road
Default Why do some cellos turn brown?

I have notice some cellos turn brown like the one below while others stay pretty clear. I know the first answer is oils, but I thought they would crystallize too.

airtrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Why do some cellos turn brown?

There really isn't one single answer. Many possible factors can include the manufacture of the cello, thickness of the cello, heat, oils, ammonia from the cigar, age, etc.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road

Mmmm crispy brown cello...
Old 08-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
There really isn't one single answer. Many possible factors can include the manufacture of the cello, thickness of the cello, heat, oils, ammonia from the cigar, age, etc.
Always figured that the first factor, not the last. In any case, I always figured it a good sign.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Airbrushing and or Photoshop
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Always figured that the first factor, not the last. In any case, I always figured it a good sign.
They weren't listed in any particular order, but you want to get technical about it, age is actually a culmination of many of the other factors combined.

I once turned a pile of used but still clear cello to a dark amber resembling cello found on cigars 10-15 years old in a matter of just a few weeks just by sealing them in a tupperware with a ramekin of ammonia and setting the tupperware where it would be exposed to some heat.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
They weren't listed in any particular order, but you want to get technical about it, age is actually a culmination of many of the other factors combined.

I once turned a pile of used but still clear cello to a dark amber resembling cello found on cigars 10-15 years old in a matter of just a few weeks just by sealing them in a tupperware with a ramekin of ammonia and setting the tupperware where it would be exposed to some heat.
hah, chemistry at work. So, now here is an interesting idea. Take off all of these cellos, turn them dark amber, carefully get them back onto the ROTT cigars and then cell them as aged cello cigars!!!
Weelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I really hope you didn't mean to call fraud and deception "am interesting idea"

Much like plume or bloom, there really is no evidence that brown cello imparts any additional flavor to a cigar. But is a nice curiosity and always good for conversation.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

The brown cello thing is great but from what I have seen means very little other than to hold it up and have people say "wow", smoked a '94 Upmann machine made the other night, en cello, the cello was barely discolored at all, yet the cigar was and you can quote me on this, freaking out of this world.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
badbriar

Quote:

Would have said age and chemistry over time, but Adam blew that right out of the water!
At any rate, at one of my favorite local B&M's, people have been known to dig for those 'toned' wrapper sticks!
RR
Old 08-02-2014, 02:56 PM   #11
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Re this, and on topic, what about those faux brown cellos resulting from fake oscuros whose wrappers have been dyed a dark brown or even near-black by something?

It isn't a common practice, but it happens.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #12
airtrade
Just in from the Storm

Bolivar

Strange thing is not all in the box turned so brown. No photoshop it is more pronounced on the white cutting board.
These are lot 23 natural from 2006.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #13
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post

Much like plume or bloom, there really is no evidence that brown cello imparts any additional flavor to a cigar. But is a nice curiosity and always good for conversation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
The brown cello thing is great but from what I have seen means very little other than to hold it up and have people say "wow", smoked a '94 Upmann machine made the other night, en cello, the cello was barely discolored at all, yet the cigar was and you can quote me on this, freaking out of this world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbriar View Post
Would have said age and chemistry over time, but Adam blew that right out of the water!
At any rate, at one of my favorite local B&M's, people have been known to dig for those 'toned' wrapper sticks!
RR

Bob, the other Adam and Rob, you've kind of hit on why I did what I did with a bunch of empty cello wrappers; to show that brown cello can mean nothing. Sure, it can mean old, but my point in that experiment was to disprove the commonly held incorrect belief that "yellow cello =(absolute)= aged cigar" and show that the creation of darker cello can be accelerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Re this, and on topic, what about those faux brown cellos resulting from fake oscuros whose wrappers have been dyed a dark brown or even near-black by something?

It isn't a common practice, but it happens.
Meh. Most of the dyed nc cigars today (last 10 or so years) are are colored with a dye derived from crushed and boiled tobacco plant stalks or just simply boiled capa leaves. Cello isn't the same as your fingers or lips, it's unlikely it will absorb these compounds any faster than they would for a cigar sporting a naturally fermented capa of the same shade. In fact, boiled capa leaf might actually have a slower rate of yellowing as the oils and other compounds that might cause a cello to turn yellow all leeched out in the boil process.

Last edited by T.G; 08-02-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:09 PM   #14
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by airtrade View Post
Strange thing is not all in the box turned so brown. No photoshop it is more pronounced on the white cutting board.
These are lot 23 natural from 2006.

No, not strange at all.

Uneven yellowing after that age is normal. Unequal airflow, uneven heat, how close the cigars are packed and how gasses are trapped or oxygen flow is restricted can all affect the cello.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #15
dvickery
Team of 1

First Name: derrek
dvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura about

so ... my take on this thread ... the more ammonia in the original cigar = the yellower the cello .

make sense ???

derrek
Old 08-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #16
allanb3369
Pedestrian Cigar Smoker

First Name: Allan
LGC
allanb3369 will become famous soon enoughallanb3369 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Only you, Adam! I learned something new today! Had no clue that could be done.

"Who knew that Nicaragua wasn't an island?"
allanb3369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #17
airtrade
Just in from the Storm

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvickery View Post
so ... my take on this thread ... the more ammonia in the original cigar = the yellower the cello .

make sense ???

derrek
Makes sense to me!
Old 08-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #18
Shaneg
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Shane
Partagas
Shaneg is on a distinguished road

Wow, I've never owned a cigar long enough for the cellophane to turn color with age, but I have had a few old ones from friends- and never given any thought at all to why exactly the cellophane changed colors. Interesting topic!
Shaneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:28 PM   #19
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvickery View Post

make sense ???

derrek
I don't think it can be pinned down to a single reason. There are too many possible factors and variables.