Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #21
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Stray black lab mix story.

Still making progress, Michael. Continued well wishes on your effort to help.
14holestogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #22
nozero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
Me too Bro.
Thank you Sir, much appreciated!
Old 01-23-2009, 07:03 PM   #23
nozero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
Still making progress, Michael. Continued well wishes on your effort to help.
And thanks to you Sir as well!

Thanks to all for the kind words. I'm just doing what feels right.

Over the last week, I had some heat pump problems because my unit lost all the freon, then the compressor failed so I've been home a few times from work. I've seen 3-4 maybe 5 people approach her, she lets me get closer than anybody else and it give me a very nice warm feeling. But, I'd do what I do, even if that were not the case.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #24
piperman

All I have to say is your of hell of a person, thank you for caring so much about animals.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #25
nozero

Post Re: Stray black lab mix story.

Still feeding her and giving her fresh water daily and sharing some of our dogs butcher bones with her. The animal control truck chased her across the lot yesterday and nearly into heavy traffic. They should know by now that they can't catch her.

Everytime somebody or somebodies vehicle chases her, she gets harder to get close to for a few days and it's "just like starting over".

There are now 2-4 other folks feeding her from time to time, so she's well fed, that's for sure!
Old 03-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #26
nozero

She sniffed my hand!

I looked out for her just now and she was waiting in the front yard again. I went back in and got a bone and some dry food. Put the food and the bone in the bowl and she was jumping around like crazy, I put out my hand and sat down on the ground and she very cautiously came over and sniffed my hand. I didn't try to pet her, just talked to her. It made me feel so good!
Old 03-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #27
nozero

Thumbs up Re: Stray black lab mix story.

More progress! I just got her to take a piece of hotdog from my hand!

There are still 3-4 others feeding her regularly, so she is getting finicky about what she'll eat and when. She still shys away from those "strangers" who stop by and try to feed her or get close to her.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #28
yellowgoat

So cool of you!
I hope she gets a good home soon.

cheers, Michael! your a good person.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #29
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Your patience is paying off...

Any more pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozero View Post
More progress! I just got her to take a piece of hotdog from my hand!

There are still 3-4 others feeding her regularly, so she is getting finicky about what she'll eat and when. She still shys away from those "strangers" who stop by and try to feed her or get close to her.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:20 AM   #30
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Great persistance, Michael. Looks like it's paying off.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:46 AM   #31
ahc4353

Great news!
Old 03-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #32
nozero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
Your patience is paying off...

Any more pics?
None yet, I'll try to get some today or tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #33
michael88n
Finger Sniffer

First Name: Michael
Trading: (3)
Punch Army (Retired)
michael88n is on a distinguished road

Jeez. You must have the patience of a Saint.
I love reading this thread.

Cheers,
Michael
michael88n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #34
heavyd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
heavyd has disabled reputation

Nice work Michael. I'm glad the animal services guy can't catch her. They would have to put her down for sure. In tough economic times animal services operations get swamped, and a pooch like Oprah that's not accustomed to human contact would not stand a chance.

I got a knot in my throat when you wrote about her chasing her tail and darting around by herself

"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright." ~Bill Withers
heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #35
nozero

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyd View Post
Nice work Michael. I'm glad the animal services guy can't catch her. They would have to put her down for sure. In tough economic times animal services operations get swamped, and a pooch like Oprah that's not accustomed to human contact would not stand a chance.

I got a knot in my throat when you wrote about her chasing her tail and darting around by herself
Another of "Oprah's friends" brought her two dog toys about a week ago, a pink tug-of-war and a neon green Kong TM dumbbell. Oprah took the pink one across the street to her hill.

When I fed her this morning, I took the green one and squeezed it and squeaked it toward her then tossed it to her. She snatched it up and danced around tossing it up in the air and sometimes catching it.

She came to me twice this morning and sniffed my hand again and then retreated to her "safe distance". I just sat in our yard talking to her until I started getting bit by ants, then I got up and walked over to her, she just sat there and let me approach. I offered my hand and she let me touch her chin briefly.

As I think I've mentioned, there are others who feed her as well. One in particular, the one who brought the dog toys, used to do volunteer work for Arlington Animal Services. She has contacts and has already found a potential home for Oprah. I'd love to take her in, but our "Rockie" is dog agressive and I don't think it would work out. Plus, we don't really have room for another dog. Our youngest son has said he'd take her, but he'd be violating his lease agreement at his apartment complex if he did and he's already in violation, since has a boxer and three cats.

Thanks again for all your kind comments in this thread.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #36
nozero

Thumbs up Re: Stray black lab mix story.

Another breakthrough!

I just went out and took Oprah some water since she'd been in the lot in the sun most of the day, I took it across the street to her. After I came back to the house, I looked out and she was in the front yard, so I went out and sat in the yard and she came close and sniffed me again, then went and laid down about 8-10 feet away. I got up and went over to her and she just laid there so I bent over and she let me pet her head. I got to scratch behind her ears and her neck too. It was amazing!

Got this picture earlier today too.

Last edited by nozero; 03-08-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #37
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

Partagas

Sweet.

She looks like a sweetheart. To teach her about a friendly hand after what she probably went through is amazingly cool. Continued success with reaching into her heart.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #38
BamBam
Just Pipin'

Trading: (37)
Montecristo
BamBam will become famous soon enoughBamBam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozero View Post
Another breakthrough!

I just went out and took Oprah some water since she'd been in the lot in the sun most of the day, I took it across the street to her. After I came back to the house, I looked out and she was in the front yard, so I went out and sat in the yard and she came close and sniffed me again, then went and laid down about 8-10 feet away. I got up and went over to her and she just laid there so I bent over and she let me pet her head. I got to scratch behind her ears and her neck too. It was amazing!

Got this picture earlier today too.
Is that Animal Control in the background there
BamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #39
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

You are doing an incredible job with her... reminds me of Kevin Costner in "Dances with Wolves."

Thanks for the picture - looks like a sweet old girl.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #40
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

Great story so far. This is a very cool thing you've been doing.