Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2008, 07:27 AM   #1
Tombstone

Default Assault Rifle Ban

What does everyone think about the inevitable assault rifle ban. After this ban is passed do you think that there will be a slippery slope in regards to banning all firearms?

IMHO the government does not have the right to take away my second amendment right. My forefathers died for private citizens to own guns to defend ourselves from any threat both domestic and foreign. This is America isn't it?
Old 11-18-2008, 07:45 AM   #2
ahc4353

Default Re: Assault Rifle Ban

Not an assault rifle kind guy however I do own many guns and support your right to own what you like. Yes, I think this is just another step closer to taking away or Second Amendment right. Sad, very sad.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I think it is inevitable I stocked up on mags, ammo, and lowers a year ago b/c I could see what was going to happen.

I am going to stop there. I don't want to make this political.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #4
Tombstone

Nothing politically wrong with discussing a private citizen’s fundamental right.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:54 AM   #5
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
I think it is inevitable I stocked up on mags, ammo, and lowers a year ago b/c I could see what was going to happen.

I am going to stop there. I don't want to make this political.
Same approach I took last time.

Most states do not track individual weapon type purchases so it would be very difficult to say "Ok, give up your assault weapons." I still have several purchased before the last ban and may pick up a couple more just in case.

Like Dan, I will stop here before it gets political.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:56 AM   #6
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Oh, by the way, they aren't "assault rifles" unless they are fully automatic.

They want to ban all rifles. They just use words like "assault rifles" to get all the sheep scared.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:00 AM   #7
BC-Axeman

Suppliers are getting cleaned out. Stock is getting low everywhere. I stocked up on ammo and reloading components. I could not find a way to word what I wanted to put next that would pass the censors.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:12 AM   #8
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
What does everyone think about the inevitable assault rifle ban. After this ban is passed do you think that there will be a slippery slope in regards to banning all firearms?

IMHO the government does not have the right to take away my second amendment right. My forefathers died for private citizens to own guns to defend ourselves from any threat both domestic and foreign. This is America isn't it?
I just wrote a long post in reply to this thread, but decided I would rather pare it down so as not to start any kind of argument or make this thread political. The only thing I really want to say is that:

At the time the 2nd ammendment was written there was a definite and dire need to own a gun that doesn't exist anymore.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:12 AM   #9
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
Suppliers are getting cleaned out. Stock is getting low everywhere...
Yeah, pretty much every site is out of magazines. On ar15.com they tried to organize a group buy on P-mags. Magpul said it would be AT LEAST a 6 month wait

People are also getting gouged right now. Mag prices doubled and tripled a couple weeks ago. The classified ads on ar15.com are insane right now.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:27 AM   #10
spooble
Palmetto State Herf Crew

First Name: Chad
Trading: (58)
ERdM
spooble will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
At the time the 2nd ammendment was written there was a definite and dire need to own a gun that doesn't exist anymore.

The 2nd amendment guarantees a right... it doesn't address a need. There is a distinct difference.
spooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:31 AM   #11
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
I just wrote a long post in reply to this thread, but decided I would rather pare it down so as not to start any kind of argument or make this thread political. The only thing I really want to say is that:

You are incorrect. My blood pressure rises when i hear ignorant people speak. "The founders added the 2nd amendment so that when, after a long train of abuses, agovernment evinces a methodical design upon our natural rights, we will have the means to protect and recover our rights. That is why the right to keep and bear arms was included in the Bill of Rights."

Please study American history.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:34 AM   #12
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Well that didn't take long to get a little heated

Quote:
You are incorrect. My blood pressure rises when i hear ignorant people speak.

I think that he is just as entitled to an opinion (without being called ignorant), just as you are entitled to the opinion that we need assault rifles to protect ourselves.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:34 AM   #13
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
You are incorrect. My blood pressure rises when i hear ignorant people speak. "The founders added the 2nd amendment so that when, after a long train of abuses, agovernment evinces a methodical design upon our natural rights, we will have the means to protect and recover our rights. That is why the right to keep and bear arms was included in the Bill of Rights."

Feel free to disagree and debate the points. Personal insults are not allowed. Ever see a thread go "poof"?
Old 11-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #14
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooble View Post
The 2nd amendment guarantees a right... it doesn't address a need. There is a distinct difference.
Exactly!!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #15
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Keep it civil folks. This thread is lighting up the radar screen.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:45 AM   #16
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Allright, time to lighten this up a little folks.

What is your favorite magazine to use? I like D&H Black Teflon with the Magpul follower.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:45 AM   #17
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:

Quote:

The slippery slope we deal with here is much different.

From long experience we know that religion and politics are not subjects that engender brotherhood and good cheer on cigar boards. Lot's of places that support those types of discussions. This isn't one of them.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:45 AM   #18
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Insulting other members will not be tolerated.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:48 AM   #19
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Keep it civil folks. This thread is lighting up the radar screen.
And I didn't do it!!! It is a good day!

Sensitive topic on both sides of the fence. But a good one if handled correctly by all involved.

(Congrats on over 1,000 thought provoking posts Kelly!)
Old 11-18-2008, 08:51 AM   #20
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
And I didn't do it!!! It is a good day!

(Congrats on over 1,000 thought provoking posts Kelly!)
Thanks! Trying to catch up to tom
Im just a junior douche LOL

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote