Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #41
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Verizon Finally Lands iPhone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post
This is the killer....people currently with VZ jumping the gun by getting the iphone ASAP. I think I will wait until the summer for the supposed 5g iphone. Heck, I've been patiently waiting over 2 years for this day to come.....what's another few months
Will you please tell that to my wife? I'm not relishing having to try to talk her into waiting a few more months.

The real deal breaker for me at least, is not so much the lack of 4g since VW will not have the entire country covered (at least to the extent that the 3g service does) until the end of 2012 or early 2013.

The issue is that the CDMA protocol doesn't allow for simultaneous data and voice. That WILL be rectified in late 2011. I would want a guarantee that this iphone phone will be compatible with that. And that ain't gonna happen.

They (apple) are not stupid, there is a reason their stock is hanging around $340 a share. They are masters at getting people to buy the same thing over and over again.

Whatever they unveil in July is going to be just different, sexy, cool enough to make the hunk of aluminum and circuit boards that you spent a week’s pay on and waited in line for 6 hours to buy seem like a piece of $hit.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #42
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

screw the Iphone, The droid bionic(dual core, LTE android) is going to be way better then the iphone. And it comes out when i re-up my contract, lucky me!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #43
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanmc View Post
screw the Iphone, The droid bionic(dual core, LTE android) is going to be way better then the iphone. And it comes out when i re-up my contract, lucky me!
I'm due for an early upgrade in March.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #44
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Id take a look at it. Im sold on keeping a droid phone. But i like being able to do what i want and having more free apps.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/01/10...-phone-lineup/
Old 01-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #45
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
The real deal breaker for me at least, is not so much the lack of 4g since VW will not have the entire country covered (at least to the extent that the 3g service does) until the end of 2012 or early 2013.
Boston is already on VZ's 4G network which is why I really want to wait for the 5g.

Quote:
I will have to research this phone. I will wait until my birthday comes around before getting a new phone.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #46
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

finally all the att haters about dropped calls will be exposed as iphone users. im sorry but my gf continually has connection issues even while right next to me that i have never had with my phones. she still loves the iphone and i do too, except when she makes me call her back because she has bad connection on a call.
Posted via Mobile Device
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #47
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

No 4G. I will CONSIDER a switch once the new iPhone with 4G comes out.
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #48
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
finally all the att haters about dropped calls will be exposed as iphone users. im sorry but my gf continually has connection issues even while right next to me that i have never had with my phones. she still loves the iphone and i do too, except when she makes me call her back because she has bad connection on a call.
Posted via Mobile Device
Is it really the phone? When I had ATT (before the iphone) I always had dropped calls. I've yet to have that issue with VZ **knock on wood**.

I looked at the DRIOD bionic and it's a beast with a 4.3" display (iphone is 3.5"). I think the iphone is almost too big as is.....plus I never had good luck with motorola.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #49
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)

apple had expressed a few months ago they weren't working to hard on putting 4g into the iphone currently. I cant remember where i heard this however.

ive had great luck with my Motorola. My original flip phone about 6ish years ago. Washed it and it still worked. then the original droid, which is the only phone i haven't managed to break. But just my experiance
Old 01-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #50
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

Quote:
apple had expressed a few months ago they weren't working to hard on putting 4g into the iphone currently. I cant remember where i heard this however.
They mentioned that in the press conference today. Someone asked "Why no LTE?" and they said that there are design compromises that they weren't ready to address and that customers wanted it now.

Translation: Buy it now and then buy it again in July suckers!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #51
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Is it really the phone? When I had ATT (before the iphone) I always had dropped calls. I've yet to have that issue with VZ **knock on wood**.

I looked at the DRIOD bionic and it's a beast with a 4.3" display (iphone is 3.5"). I think the iphone is almost too big as is.....plus I never had good luck with motorola.

just the phone? no, but my experience is that the att network is comparable to at least verizon in everywhere in this country i have been as witnesed by a personal att phone and work verizon carried and used coast to coast.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #52
Darrell

I am up for renewal in Sept 2011. I will get my iPhone then!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #53
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

after years of waiting, the damn thing is finally on a real network. I'll be first in line
Old 01-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #54
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
after years of waiting, the damn thing is finally on a real network. I'll be first in line
this what i dont get. i have been with; alltel, gci, att alaska(seperate from lower 48 version), cellone, att(mothership lower 48 version) for personal phones. verizon, sprint, and back to att for work phones. cellone was the best in cs and servive imo, then alltel, att alaska, att, verizon, sprint, gci. att has always been very responsive to problems i have had, something verizon never was whether it was the gov phone or not. service and coverage are above average but not much. of all the people i know the only ones who oobjectively have issues with att are iphone users and i have personally seen those issues too. i wont go to verizon because i need gsm for overseas but even then i wouldnt consider them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #55
Krish the Fish
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Krishna
Trading: (2)
Trinidad
Krish the Fish is on a distinguished road

I'm getting myself and my dad one asap. The LTE iPhone is probably not going to be released until june 2012, so I think I can hold on to this one for 18 months, and by then I'll have another upgrade ready for an LTE iPhone then.

But I've been waiting for this day for a while. Finally!
Krish the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #56
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
this what i dont get. i have been with; alltel, gci, att alaska(seperate from lower 48 version), cellone, att(mothership lower 48 version) for personal phones. verizon, sprint, and back to att for work phones. cellone was the best in cs and servive imo, then alltel, att alaska, att, verizon, sprint, gci. att has always been very responsive to problems i have had, something verizon never was whether it was the gov phone or not. service and coverage are above average but not much. of all the people i know the only ones who oobjectively have issues with att are iphone users and i have personally seen those issues too. i wont go to verizon because i need gsm for overseas but even then i wouldnt consider them.
Posted via Mobile Device
My guess is the area you are in? Back about 5 years ago ATT sucked in my area and VZ was the best. Now reception is the same, but our neighbor needs ATT for international travel and he complaisn about dropped calls from his home. For domestic usage I will keep VZ, but if I needed a phone for use internationally I would look at ATT.

Also, I used to go to my grandparents beach house in the summer and Sprint was the only thing that worked there. Then up at my uncle's house in Maine VZ was the only one that worked. Today, the issue at the beach is no longer, but in Maine VZ is still the better choice.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #57
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My guess is the area you are in? Back about 5 years ago ATT sucked in my area and VZ was the best. Now reception is the same, but our neighbor needs ATT for international travel and he complaisn about dropped calls from his home. For domestic usage I will keep VZ, but if I needed a phone for use internationally I would look at ATT.
I understand travelling with a VZW phone will be less of an issue in the future. The 4G technology they are using is going to be the international standard.

Interesting press conference about the new VZW iPhone. They confirmed the phone will be the same price as at AT&T, but not much in the way of details beyond that. It sounds like the vPhone won't be 100% the same as the AT&T version. Also, no info yet on the data plans either. I signed up on Apple.com to get further info as it becomes available.

My AT&T contract is up next month so this is good timing. I might go with a Droid phone though to get the 4G service.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #58
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

The rumor mill says the voice + data price plan pricing will be VERY similar.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #59
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsetGO View Post
Is the verizon iphone 4g?
Posted via Mobile Device
No, allegedly it will still be running on 3G which means no browsing while on a call. Additionally it would be a bad move for someone to buy now as traditionally apple releases a new model each June and I don't forsee this being any different if the verizon phone is going to be the same platform as the current iPhone 4
Old 01-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #60
staminator

Now I just need to figure out how to get out of my current contract with Verizon without paying ridiculous fees.