Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #101
gravelman

Default Re: pistol or cigars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiE View Post
Glock 23 then more cigars!
I agree, this was my first pistol, still have it and love it...you cant beat a Glock, and for those on the Springfield XD side, those are very good as well, I'd suggest gripping both several times because the frames have different angles, and some prefer one of another, thats my thoughts... haha
Old 01-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #102
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogface_313 View Post
Home defense? I wouldn't get a pistol. Get an AR, get Hornady TAP ammunition, mount a weapon light to it. People may disagree but look into "over penetration" the right 5.56 ammo is less likely to over penetrate and hit somebody you don't want it to vs pistol ammunition.
Can you tell me how a rifle cartridge wouldn't overpenetrate compared to a pistol cartridge? I would love to learn more of this.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #103
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Can you tell me how a rifle cartridge wouldn't overpenetrate compared to a pistol cartridge? I would love to learn more of this.
I'm also curious about this.

I use hollowpoints specifically for this reason.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #104
mpd340

I would go with a Glock 23 or anything Glock as they are easy to maintain. I have talked to several officers who are carrying the Springfield XD's and love them. Have not shot one myself, but trust those guys enough to say it's probably a pretty good pistol.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:33 PM   #105
Neens
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (21)
Montecristo
Neens will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
I'm also curious about this.

I use hollowpoints specifically for this reason.
http://www.theboxotruth.com/ has some info on this. If you have never checked it out they just set up a box with sheets of dry wall and other things to see how many the round passes through.
Neens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:52 PM   #106
Neens
Adjusting to the Life

Montecristo

Wouldn't let me edit the post.

Devan you should get what ever fire arm you shoot best. That being said I was never a fan of the 40 Short and Weak. For me thats a 1911. They carry a limited number of rounds compared to other models. However seeing as I am not a LEO I don't see my self getting into a prolonged fire fight where 8+1 and 2 extra mags isn't enough. If you have the money take a look at http://www.wilsoncombat.com/ they make some very very nice firearms. Their customer service is top notch and take the time to make sure you get what you want. If your going to get a safe make sure you get one that can't be broken into in a matter of seconds. The american security BF line from Amsec is very popular, if you want something along the same lines in terms of protection but smaller in size check out Sturdy Safe. They are a small shop out of fresno california. They use thicker steel than anyone in their price range.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #107
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Best pistol is as subjective as best cigar. That said the 1911 has been around for 100 years and just about every manufacturer is making at least one version. Anyway, go to a range that rents handguns and try a bunch of them out. It might take some time to try out the ones you like, but it will be worth it when you finally plunk down the cash for the one you want. If you are going to wait until you get back to Michigan, you could always go to the range with some of us locals and try out pistols for free. You're welcome to shoot my Kimber, just provide the ammo. If you just want to squeeze off a mag or two no prob. If you want to really fling some lead pick up a box.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #108
dogface_313

Sorry been away for a bit.
http://www.theboxotruth.com/ is a decent site but look at how his test was conducted, not very scientific.
Personally i am more concerned on how round will act after they have penetrated through a human when i am thinking home defense. Hence just shooting into the boards/drywall is not a good test. He also uses ball ammunition, which i would never recommend for home defense to anyone.

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De..._FAQ/index.htm
this is a very through and well done test that include the use of ballistic gel, also includes adding layers such as denim and analyzes bullet penetration. Proper selection of .223/5.56 ammunition is a great selection for home defense. This is because these rounds tend to fragment and/or yaw/change direction of travel after hitting the target drastically reducing momentum (mass x velocity). Most 5.56 rounds are already lower mass then pistol calibers, now that the velocity is dramatically especially in regards to it's initial direction the round has less likely to over penetrate.

Over penetration also comes back to one of the fundamental firearms rules. Know your target and what is beyond it. You wouldn't shoot the guy with you child standing behind him, so why would you do it if your child is separated by only a small piece of plaster and paper.

Ultimately the choice for home defense is very personal. You say you are in the service then you are probably familiar with the AR platform and the M9. Go with something similar to them but no matter what you choose practice practice practice with it.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #109
ambientboy
...from the internet

First Name: Dan
Trading: (0)
RA
ambientboy is on a distinguished road

I'm so glad I found this thread. I've been arguing with myself over a couple box purchases or a handgun. I've been leaning towards the gun, especially because, being in MO, the gun laws are awesome here.

I'm debating between the Glock 26 and the Beretta PX4 SC. I love me some SA/DA with an external hammer!
ambientboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #110
Neens
Adjusting to the Life

Montecristo

He tests other ammo also ryan not just ball. I know theres a video of him testing black talon rounds and frangible ammunition.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:57 AM   #111
dogface_313

I will admit, I am biased. I love my AR.
What i am most adamant about however is that the weapon is just a tool. The most important thing for defense is to practice with it. Find out what does and does not work for you, then go from there.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #112
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Personally, I love my SW1911 more so than my PT145 Millenium Pro. The 1911 is more accurate and target ammo is rather cheap. I use Federal rounds in mine and they pack a punch, and though I haven't had to yet but its a great home defense weapon. Of course if your looking for home defense you should consider a Mosberg 12 gauge...You can always buy cigars later then enjoy one while target practicing...just sayin
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote