Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2010, 07:25 AM   #61
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice
Default Re: Quitting Cigs.

Everybody good, no relapses?
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:30 AM   #62
htown
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (29)
RyJ
htown will become famous soon enoughhtown will become famous soon enough

I slipped but I am back at about thirteen days with out a cigarette.
htown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #63
MrsSledn
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Cathy
Trading: (0)
MrsSledn is on a distinguished road

Mike you can do it!

I smoked on and off from 7th grade until last year. 22 years. I quit smoking around the time Crystal (GKitty) did. Early Septmeber, 2009. I found out I was pregnant and stopped. When we found out the baby stopped growing, I thought about going back to smoking. I had to tell myself, no. I would not do it regardless of the baby's status while I still carried it. When the miscarriage was final, I just didn't go back. My mom passed away from lung cancer in November of 2007 that she didn't get from smoking, and even that didn't get me to quit back then. But now, I keep that in the back of my head. I always say now, that the silver lining from my short pregnancy... It got me to quit a nasty habit that I didn't want my 7 year old to pick up.

It's been almost 8 months. I just had my first cigar, the other day. I was afraid to have a cigar thinking it would bring my craving for the quick cigarette, back. I can't say I will have a cigar everyday...

You can kick it. Don't let a slip get you down. Keep going. Take it minute by minute. Hour to hour... Day to day. Try to avoid the things that make you want to smoke.
MrsSledn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #64
tomc3084
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (26)
tomc3084 is on a distinguished road

I need to stop, man do I need to stop
tomc3084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #65
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc3084 View Post
You and me both.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #66
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I had it kicked for 7 months and just relapsed.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #67
kugie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Joe
Trading: (3)
kugie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
I had it kicked for 7 months and just relapsed.

Just do it again.

I Stopped in October relapsed then stopped agin in November and started right back up again then Stopped right before Christmas and have not had one since.

Even on the last couple of jobs I have been on have been a real bear and man did I want one but I held on.
It gets easier even when those bad days happen and you really want one.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #68
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I do best setting a target date and am shooting, for the 10th time, for New Years.

Couple of guys at work pushed me back into it is the excuse I'm using this time.....
Old 04-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #69
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

I quit almost two years ago for about four months (with the help of some BOTLs). I'm ashamed that I relapsed and picked it up again. I really need to quit again....once and for all.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:19 AM   #70
kugie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Joe
Trading: (3)
kugie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
I quit almost two years ago for about four months (with the help of some BOTLs). I'm ashamed that I relapsed and picked it up again. I really need to quit again....once and for all.
When I quit in December That was probablly the 10 th time I had done it over all. 2.5 years one time and started it back up. But for Some reason this one is different. I don't feel the the urgency and I have learned to relax a little better.
So when I want one I have a better time fighting through it.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:05 AM   #71
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc3084 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
You and me both.
You two need to give it up,period. You have and enjoy cigars,you don't need cigarettes.That is enough.

As for the rest of you,no more relapses.That's bullsh!t.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #72
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Wow, opened a can of worms with my post. Still cig free here. If I can do this, so can you. Just think of how much better those cigars will taste without the cigarettes frying your taste buds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #73
68TriShield
Got Torque?

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Wow, opened a can of worms with my post. Still cig free here. If I can do this, so can you. Just think of how much better those cigars will taste without the cigarettes frying your taste buds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not really Jeff.You asked and they spilled the beans.Better to take the heat and help than to lie to your friends
Oh and you are so right about cigars tasting better,but they know that already
Next time you guys get the urge,come back to this thread to be talked off the ledge.
You have support here.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #74
MrsSledn
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Cathy
Trading: (0)
MrsSledn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugie View Post
But for Some reason this one is different. I don't feel the the urgency and I have learned to relax a little better.
So when I want one I have a better time fighting through it.
I felt the same way with quitting this time as well. I tried quitting back in the winter of 2004 or 2005. It didn't fare well. First few days weren't so bad. Then I was getting so anxious and just mad. LOL I even threw a bad working VCR against the front door one morning. After that happened, I said to myself, quitting isn't worth losing it. I called my mom in law and asked her to pick me up a pack.

I remember thinking, I will know when the time is right to quit. This time I am more at ease with my choice. I am not ready to be around multiple people smoking yet though.
MrsSledn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:27 AM   #75
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

There is only one way to quit, and surprisingly it is good for most of what ails you in the long run.
Don't mistake me for a fundamentalist or even a practicing Christian anymore. But think
back on all the things that make you smoke. If you smoke only when you drink, stop going to bars.
If you smoke when your kids stress you out, shoot em and end all that. If you smoke after a meal,
stop eating.

That all sounds fine, but in the real world, you can't get away with number two and three. But the
plain and simple fact is, tricks don't work, gum doesn't work, hypnosis doesn't work. You have to
remove from your life the triggering mechanisms. If that means going to a pipe for an occasional
non-inhaling nicotine fix or some Cohiba Minis, then get some. But for me it was weed. I could not
smoke weed and NOT smoke a cigarette after. As much as it is killing me I had to quit smoking the
weed I dearly love. No cigarettes for me now. I DID go to having a pipe on my ride home from work.
But you have to watch that. based on what I can feel, there is a risk of tongue cancer. But my
lungs are free of smoke, and if you can smoke cigs, you can handle the strong pipe tobacco. Talk
about a nic kick. I have some that makes me feel like I had a big ol bong hit. You GOT TO give up
the things that make you think of cigs or you cannot succeed.

And remember, once you quit, that buying a pack just to get you over a bad day is NOT good.
YOU KNOW WITHOUT SAYING IT, the cig is going to taste like crap, then you have 19 left to
deal with. That is the big hurdle. Find a way over it without that pack.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:08 AM   #76
htown
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (29)
RyJ
htown will become famous soon enoughhtown will become famous soon enough

Twenty days no cigs.
htown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #77
68TriShield
Got Torque?

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
There is only one way to quit, and surprisingly it is good for most of what ails you in the long run.
Don't mistake me for a fundamentalist or even a practicing Christian anymore. But think
back on all the things that make you smoke. If you smoke only when you drink, stop going to bars.
If you smoke when your kids stress you out, shoot em and end all that. If you smoke after a meal,
stop eating.

That all sounds fine, but in the real world, you can't get away with number two and three. But the
plain and simple fact is, tricks don't work, gum doesn't work, hypnosis doesn't work. You have to
remove from your life the triggering mechanisms. If that means going to a pipe for an occasional
non-inhaling nicotine fix or some Cohiba Minis, then get some. But for me it was weed. I could not
smoke weed and NOT smoke a cigarette after. As much as it is killing me I had to quit smoking the
weed I dearly love. No cigarettes for me now. I DID go to having a pipe on my ride home from work.
But you have to watch that. based on what I can feel, there is a risk of tongue cancer. But my
lungs are free of smoke, and if you can smoke cigs, you can handle the strong pipe tobacco. Talk
about a nic kick. I have some that makes me feel like I had a big ol bong hit. You GOT TO give up
the things that make you think of cigs or you cannot succeed.

And remember, once you quit, that buying a pack just to get you over a bad day is NOT good.
YOU KNOW WITHOUT SAYING IT, the cig is going to taste like crap, then you have 19 left to
deal with. That is the big hurdle. Find a way over it without that pack.
I call BS Brad. I and the wife quit cold turkey without giving up the so called triggers.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:18 AM   #78
Kreth
Ronin smoker

So, I haven't really had any serious cravings for a cigarette since the first couple of weeks. I get minor cravings if I see someone smoking on TV, but not serious enough to want to have one. And if I'm actually around smokers, it's like car exhaust to me. I have been smoking small cigars if I have to be in the car longer than 10-15 minutes (one of my triggers).
Anyway, about a week ago, I had a dream where I was going absolutely nuts for a cigarette: turning the apartment upside-down looking for left-overs, trying to bum one. For some strange reason, it never occurred to me in the dream to just go buy a pack. When I woke up, no cravings...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2010, 06:56 AM   #79
D_A
Dave's not here

First Name: David
Bolivar
D_A is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
I call BS Brad. I and the wife quit cold turkey without giving up the so called triggers.
I did it cold turkey as well. Giving up eating, beer, coffee, driving, walking, sitting, standing, riding, breathing, etc wasn't really feasible. It was a *****, but it is so worth it. Hang in there people, the longer you can hold out the easier it gets. Good luck.
D_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:05 AM   #80
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
I quit cold turkey as well almost 2 years ago and I have not relapsed once, in my opinion you have to be quitting for YOU and not because anyone else wants you too. I did not change anything else about my daily activities or the people who I hung out with, many of which smoked.
eber is offline   Reply With Quote