Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
GHC_Hambone

Default Flor de Oliva (4 different wrappers)

First off, sorry if the title was a tease but right now there is only one review I recently purchased one of each, a Maduro, Corojo, Gold and Natural (Cameroon I think, correct me if I am wrong.) Tonight I smoked the Maduro.

It started off with your typical coffee and cocoa maduro flavors, but with a little extra. A little bit of earthiness and a slight bit of pepper. Draw is a
little tight. Mid way through the flavors are still pretty much the same, with a little more sweetness. The draw is still tight but the cigar is burning well. Near the nub the pepper flavors picked up a little more, and a bit of harshness came in.

Overall, this cigar gets a 7.5/10. While I wasn't amazed by the cigar I thought it was decent. The draw was a little tight, but I did just pick it up from the B&M yesterday so it might be a little wet still. I chose to smoke this one because it was the least "squishy" out of the four. Burned well, one touch-up was needed because it had a dead spot but besides that fine.

Of course I would prefer a regular Oliva maduro, but for the price these are great. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a bundle for $40 and sit on them for a while.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
dccraft

Default Re: Flor de Oliva (4 different wrappers)

These are a very nice cigar that seems to age well. I agree with your review. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Thanks for the review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHC_Hambone View Post
Of course I would prefer a regular Oliva maduro,.
I think that the Oliva Family cigars and Flor de Oliva are two different companies. The Oliva Serie G Special G Maduro is an awesome little stick for just a couple bucks.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I think you are wrong Moe. There is an Oliva family out of ybor (I think) that primarily sells tobacco to other companies, and then there is the Olivas that make the Gs, Os, Vs, and I am pretty sure they make Flor De Oliva's and they are only bundles in the US. They are sold in boxes elsewhere in the world. Not 100% sure of this, but I think it's right.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
I think you are wrong Moe. There is an Oliva family out of ybor (I think) that primarily sells tobacco to other companies, and then there is the Olivas that make the Gs, Os, Vs, and I am pretty sure they make Flor De Oliva's and they are only bundles in the US. They are sold in boxes elsewhere in the world. Not 100% sure of this, but I think it's right.
I probably am wrong. I just could never find any Flor de Oliva info on the Oliva website, thats the only basis for my prior statement.

"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
I think that the Oliva Family cigars and Flor de Oliva are two different companies. The Oliva Serie G Special G Maduro is an awesome little stick for just a couple bucks.
Nope, Moe. Same company.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Nope, Moe. Same company.
know-it-all

Old 07-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Nope, Moe. Same company.
Thanks for taking the heat from Moe. I told him he was wrong and you agree and get the blame. Cool.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
GHC_Hambone

I just smoked the natural (which is a Sumatra wrapper, not a Cameroon as I previously stated).

Begins woody and toasty with a slight bit of spice. Midway through not much change in the flavor except a little harshness now and then. Burning and drawing great, only construction complaint is the ash is a little flakey. No big deal. In the last third, the spice picked up but the harshness did as well. There were also some grassy flavors.

Overall a good cigar, not great but for a bundle cigar a very good deal. I liked it a little better than the maduro, so I give it a 7.7/10. Once again I would definitely like to buy a bundle and age them a bit. I'm sure they would turn out to be great smokes.

A good value for the money.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:02 AM   #10
Aldebaran

Did you give this up? I was looking forward to seeing the Corojo review. It is a cool idea to review an entire brand.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #11
GHC_Hambone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldebaran View Post
Did you give this up? I was looking forward to seeing the Corojo review. It is a cool idea to review an entire brand.
I'm on vacation right now, so the reviews will continue when I get back.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
Aldebaran

Good to know thanks
Old 08-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #13
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

I've been taking it easy on the wallet and burning the Maduros while knocking around the house. I like the Sumatra and the Maduros are pretty darn good themselves.

Definitely a good bundle cigar.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #14
SkinsFanLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
You are 100% correct my brother!
Old 08-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
SkinsFanLarry

"a Maduro, Corojo, Gold and Natural (Cameroon I think, correct me if I am wrong.)"

The Natural and Maduro are both 100% Nic's (not cameroon!), the Gold is a Nic with Connecticut Shade wrapper.

Last edited by SkinsFanLarry; 08-08-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #16
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

The FdO Maduros are good
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #17
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
The FdO Maduros are good
Old 08-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #18
GHC_Hambone

Hello everyone, I'm back and this afternoon I got around to smoking the Corojo.

The cigar starts with cedary spice. Draw is a bit tight but still a nice amount of smoke. Burning excellent as well. Half way through the spice flavors picked up and a little leather came through as well. Last third really picked up on the spice flavors. A little bit of harshness as well but not bad.

I am finishing this up as I type, and so far this is my favorite out of the bunch. Great flavors and very well constructed. Hell you could have slapped a different band on it and I would have payed 5 bucks or more for it. I do have the Gold left to smoke, but it will be tough to beat this one.

I give it an 8/10.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #19
GHC_Hambone

I finished up the last of the bunch with the Gold today.

First few draws are nutty, with a hint of pepper. Tight draw but a decent amount of smoke. A mild flavored cigar with a slight kick, reminds me of the 5 Vegas Golds I have smoked in the past. The cigar shows solid construction, sturdy ash and a nice even burn. Midway thorough I had to put it down for a few minutes. I relight and initially it was harsh but soon resumed with the same flavors as before. Last 3rd has a bit more pepper flavors, a slight harshness as well (this could be from relighting the cigar, but the bit of harshness at the end was a characteristic of the other FdO cigars as well)

Overall I would give this cigar a 7.7/10. A good smoke if you dig Connecticut wrappers (which I do).

Out of the bunch I preferred the Corojo the best. However, if you look through the reviews you can see the scores were pretty close. All were great for being bundle cigars, so if you go to pick up a bundle I guess go with your personal preference. All of them were good and I'm sure with age they will become even better. Next bundle purchase I make, I'm for sure picking up the Corojos.

It was fun trying all the different wrappers and comparing the flavors. I would definitely recomend trying it so you can see the impact a wrapper has on the flavor of a cigar.

Thanks for reading!
Old 08-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #20
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Thanks for the reviews.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote