Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-31-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
Sancho Fuente
Bungle in the Jungle

First Name: Tom
Trading: (4)
Sancho Fuente will become famous soon enough
Default The Vacation Files pt.2 - AF Between the Lines

Decided to go after one of my rarer smokes tonight, an Arturo Fuente Between the Lines. This stick had 6 months in the Vino.

Size - 4"x54 (same as Short Story)
Wrapper - Connecticut Shade & Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro
Binder - Not a Clue
Filler - Same as other Hemingways as far as I know
Location - Yard, 70's, slight breeze, humid
Drink - Water
Price - Enough . . . but I think $17.00

Appearance and Construction - Amazing. The skill that it would take to roll one of these this even, perfectly firm, and being able to keep a perfect draw even through that tiny tip is beyond me. The wrappers are perfect, minimal viens, a nice tan Conn. Shade and a jet black Maduro. Just look at the pictures and see for yourself.
Overall Appearance and Construction - 20/20

First 1/3 of Cigar - This cigar lit super easy with the small nipple tip. Right away a toasty flavor was present with an amazingly smooth butter and cream flavor through the nose on the exhale. From the start this thing was pouring out a velvety smoke that coated your entire mouth. As the burn made its way past the tip onto the main body of the cigar, very evenly I might add, a pepper spice began to present itself. The spice stayed very mild through the first 1/3 and was only present when exhaled through the nose. As the cigar progressed, a caramel sweetness appeared that balanced with the other flavors perfectly. The cigar had a solid medium body, and an absolute perfect balance. Every puff saw the flavors develop more and more complexity.
Overall score for First 1/3 -19/20

Second 1/3 of Cigar - The opposite of most cigars, the farther into it that you got, the less complex the cigar got, but not at all in a bad way. The toasty flavor began to move to the forefront and each puff saw more pepper spice. The finish after each puff began to build with a toasty flavor carried seamlessly into it. Progressing towards the last 1/3 the sweetness and creaminess had started to fade. I would say it was like a relay team. The cream and sweetness started, and the spice and toasty flavor slowly ramped up until they were at the same speed and then just started to pull away. It was really a wonderful transistion that lasted over the entire second 1/3. The burn also stayed sharp and level and the white ash held firm.
Overall score for Second 1/3 - 19/20

Final 1/3 of Cigar - Going into the final 1/3 of the cigar, the cream had disappeared, replaced by the spice and a building woodiness. Leather started to present itself on the finish which stayed long and enjoyable. The toasty flavor persisted, and the flavors continued to be perfectly balanced right up until I layed the nub down.
Overall score for Final 1/3 - 18/20

Overall Experience - Honestly, I am completely blown away by this cigar. The flavors were 100% balanced and the complexity, while not over-the-top, was more than enough to keep me satisfied until the final puffs. I have seen several reviews of this cigar, most of them not being great, but I went into this open minded and ended up with a great smoke. While this is not an everyday cigar, I may be one of the few people that feels it was worth the money spent on it. This was a very nice 'halo' cigar that was a different experience then the Padron Annis or something in that vein. All in all I am totally satisfied and happy with this smoke. (If you couldn't tell by the wall of text)
Overall Experience - 19/20

Overall Score - 95/100
Old 05-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: The Vacation Files pt.2 - AF Between the Lines

Great review, I think I'll pick a few up around winter time.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Awesome review. This is a great stick!!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

Great review Tom!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
racerX
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: john
Trading: (0)
racerX is on a distinguished road

Great review of a great one. I had one last month and thought it was a 19/20 as well.
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:11 AM   #6
SteveH
You lookin at me ?

First Name: Steve
Trading: (4)
HUpmann
SteveH is on a distinguished road

Great Review - thanks !
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:53 AM   #7
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Awesome review brother!!

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
baddevildog82

I really enjoy these. I don't smoke them often, but I always keep a couple on hand. They are very light, but the flavors are terrific and when I am in the mood for a mild smoke I always break one out. I have some with 7-8 years on them and they are smoking fantastic!

Nice review!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review... Why are these sticks soooo hard to find???