Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #21
troutbreath
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
troutbreath is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Nicotine Sickness Action Plan

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

I have never had any nicotine issues with the Hemingways, though. Actually consider them to be pretty tame. Those Litto Gomez Diez, though -- wow! I love 'em, but they are strong.
troutbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #22
SilverFox

I think there is a little confusion surrounding the whole Nicotine Sugar relationship.

Although a quick hit of sugar will sometimes in some people help in the "Nicotine Sickness" it doesn't actually have a counteracting effect as some people believe.

Nicotine actually causes reduced pancreatic activity which lowers the insulin released in your blood stream thereby causing increase glucose in the blood (temporary hyperglycemia).

The best ways to counteract the hyperglycemia are some of the ways that the OP mentioned. Hydration and a good meal of complex carbs being the primary ones, both of which help to reduce the bodies need for insulin as a result of well balance cellular glucose.

When you take something very sugary you are basically just masking one impact with another its kind of like taking a depressant to combat the effects of a stimulant, you essentially have two combating ailments in your body rather than balance.

Hydration, Diet and Exercise are your best fighters of Nicotine Sickness of course followed by the OP's other points of reduced exposure (smoking outside, less strong cigar, stop smoking at onset of signs, water and spitting)

If sugar works for you go for it, I am not suggesting it doesn't work for you I am just saying that it isn't a correction of the situation.

Oh and apparently I read too much LOL
Old 01-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #23
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Great post: Sticky?

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #24
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough

Great post Fox! When I said sugar works, I didn't know that was why. But wouldn't that increase your blood sugar and worsen the problem (which is temporary hyperglycemia)?

Anyway, I'll be gulpin' water instead from now on
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #25
ca21455
Working on Reality

First Name: John
Trading: (7)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ca21455 is on a distinguished road

Very good advice!

Some people may be more sensitive to nicotine then others. I have found that you build up a tolerance over time. There were a few sticks I had to avoid when first starting, but now have no problem lighting up a strong cigar first thing in the morning before breakfast.
ca21455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #26
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

First Name: Tattejuaje
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
TomHagen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
If you start to get the feeling of Nicotine sickness, plain sugar is the quickest cure. Candy is ok, but a couple of spoons of straight sugar will get into the bloodstream quicker and will reduce the effects.

There are a couple of other smokes to stay away from on an empty stomach:
LFD Double Ligero
Litto Gomez Diez-IMHO the strongest stick out there, particularly the Chisel.

^100% Agreed, with all the above^

also add Juan Lopez Churchill (NC)
Old 01-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #27
SilverFox

One other thing is don't drink Alcohol with your cigars if you are prone to getting "NicSick" Alcohol increases the permeability of oral mucosa and allows for greater absorption of nicotine.

Yet another vote for water, 90% of the time I have two drinks with me when I am smoking, lots of water and a cup of hot coffee. (Might as well add Cafeine to my nic hit )
Old 01-12-2009, 06:51 AM   #28
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Start smoking on a full stomach and hopefully you won't have to do anything else.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #29
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

Thats funny you have 5Vegas Miami in there... thats the first, and only thank goodness, time I got light headed and woozy after a cigar!

I've got a camacho in my humi, I'll be ready for that one!
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #30
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

First Name: Sam
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Buena Fortuna will become famous soon enough

Smoke more...that's my action plan
Old 04-30-2010, 12:27 AM   #31
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
3) Don't nose smoke

Indeed pushing some of the cigar's smoke out through your nose allows you to taste many more facets of the smoke, but the nicotine you get from a cigar is absorbed through your mouth's mucous membranes. These are pretty thick when compared to your nose's mucous membranes, and when you put smoke through your nose you are not only letting it pass over the extremely thin and blood filled membrane of your septum, but you are giving the smoke much more surface area through which to absorb. Its tempting, but don't do it!
Mostly good info, but I would have to quit smoking if I couldn't nose smoke. This is what truly allows me to taste the cigar's nuances, and I do it most every puff. I can count the times I have felt nicotine sick in the last 6 years on less than one hand.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:30 AM   #32
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

I Always Keep Some Jelly Beans Around. Works Instantly For Me, Taken As Soon As I Feel Queasy!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:20 AM   #33
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
ODLS1 is on a distinguished road

I've yet to feel any sickness, although I'm still fairly new to the hobby, but I often experience a little buzz for a little while. Common sense always told me not to smoke on an empty stomach (same with drinking). I always drink a beer while smoking, usually big heavy beers. Those still have a good amount of residual sugar so that could offset the effects, but maybe not in the best way as previously mentioned. The only time it was worse than a buzz was when I scarfed down some Jimmy Johns right before some friends and I smoked. I really had to babysit because I felt if I kept smoking, it would just be downhill from there, and it kept going out. Granted I didn't have anything to drink, and it was a LFD Maduro Chisel. That could have had something to do with it. I usually smoke decent size maduros, definitely more than 1 puff a minute. I've never been a cigarette smoker by the way.
ODLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:13 AM   #34
whodeeni

great info
Old 04-30-2010, 02:23 AM   #35
Titan410
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Vince
Trading: (26)
Titan410 is on a distinguished road

Going to bed and sleeping for 8 hours worked for me after I smoked an insanely large ring gauge LFD double ligero. NOT fun.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:37 AM   #36
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post

Hydration, Diet and Exercise are your best fighters of Nicotine Sickness of course followed by the OP's other points of reduced exposure (smoking outside, less strong cigar, stop smoking at onset of signs, water and spitting)
Just asking since this is the first time I've heard of exercise or being in shape as a direct relationship to nicotine absorbtion/sickness.

Do out of shape people get sick from nicotine faster or more often?

Just curious.

I've never seen it in that light and over a long period of time I've seen sugar releave symtoms of nicotine sickness the quickest, even if it doesn't actually flush the body and fix the damage like water does. I think at the time of sickness, people want a fast solution to cover the symtoms and to help keep their stomachs in check. Kind of like Malox for an ulcer. Sure it doesn't fix the problem, but it helps to get past the attack.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:18 AM   #37
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

I recently smoked a JdN Antano Gran Consul and had to lie down and take a nap. Woke up and felt fine. Anothe rone that did it for me was a Perdomo Immenso 6x72. Smoked the whole damn thing and then threw up for the next three hours. Thanks for these great tips. They will come in handy.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:34 AM   #38
darkninja67

I definitely agree with smoking outside and spitting. I can smoke all day like that.

Illusione strong?

definitely the LFD DL Chisel, that is a powerful smoke.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:20 AM   #39
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_Hippo View Post
Just asking since this is the first time I've heard of exercise or being in shape as a direct relationship to nicotine absorbtion/sickness.

Do out of shape people get sick from nicotine faster or more often?

Just curious.

I've never seen it in that light and over a long period of time I've seen sugar releave symtoms of nicotine sickness the quickest, even if it doesn't actually flush the body and fix the damage like water does. I think at the time of sickness, people want a fast solution to cover the symtoms and to help keep their stomachs in check. Kind of like Malox for an ulcer. Sure it doesn't fix the problem, but it helps to get past the attack.
I believe the inclusion of exercise is to combat hyperglycemia, not nicotine sickness. By exercising more, your body uses insulin more effectively.

You definitely need to stop smoking and get lots of fluids in. The goal is to try and get the nicotine out of your body. However, if you are smoking and already dehydrated and didn't eat, a quick hit of glucose does work.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #40
itzfrank

good read. already had this happen to me.