Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-17-2009, 11:39 PM   #1
SkinsFanLarry

Default Pete Johnson goes Vampire!

This article is from CigarCyclopedia.com

Los Angeles, September 15, 2009 – Halloween isn’t far off, so that means Pete Johnson’s annual “Monster” series is getting ready to debut for 2009.

After inaugurating the series with “The Frank,” in honor of the Frankenstein movie series of the 1930s and 1940s, the 2009 edition will be led by “The Drac,” saluting Universal Studios’ movie series of the 1930s that starred Bela Lugosi – a big cigar smoker, by the way – in the title role.

“‘The Drac’ will be a 6 3/4-inch by 52-ring torpedo,” said Johnson. “It’s a long torpedo, with a very easy, elegant internal blend and a very big flavored Habano Maduro wrapper. It’s kind of like dressing an elegant man in his black cape!”

The Drac’s wrapper was grown in Ecuador, with the binder and filler leaves from Nicaragua. The cigars were made at Pepin Garcia’s My Father cigar factory in Esteli, Nicaragua. “The cigars will be in boxes of 13,” Johnson added. “The boxes are still in the coffin shape, but this will be a prettier coffin than for The Frank last year. It’s shiny and there’s a little touch of (fake) blood on the tooth coming out of the ‘D’.”

As always, this is a very limited-production cigar, with only 1,300 boxes of 13 actually produced (16,900 cigars in total). “We picked out 13 retailers who got the product last year. We’ll pick again and those 13 will get a bigger chunk, but the remaining distribution will be through the territories, so most [of our] stores will be get a piece of it,” Johnson noted.

In order to give more of his retailers nationwide a chance to participate in his Halloween limited-edition program, Johnson is also started his “sub-series” of the Monster program, called the “Actor’s Series.” These cigars will be themed around the actors whose portrayals made their monster pictures so memorable.

As the 2008 series featured “The Frank,” the 2009 Actor’s Series entry will be “Boris” in honor of Boris Karloff, who brought Frankenstein’s monster to life in 1932. “It’s in boxes of 10, with only 1,000 boxes to be produced. The boxes are white with a very elegant white band on the cigars,” said Johnson.

“It allows you to taste a version of the previous year’s Monster blend, but it’s not the exact blend. We’ve shortened the cigar – it’s 7 inches by 49 ring – and instead of Broadleaf, we put an Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper with a rosado tone to it. It changes the cigar drastically, but it’s also made at My Father cigars in Nicaragua. Retailers who won the pick last year will get a nice little chunk of the sub-series and everybody else will be able to get some.”

Johnson isn’t finished, however. He’s also giving away a motorcycle as part of this year’s Halloween promotion. “We came up with this last year,” Johnson noted. “It’s a Ducati Monster (696) and we’re going Willy Wonka to select the winner.

“There are 13 spooky tickets inside boxes of The Drac. There’s no purchase necessary, but if you find one of the 13 tickets and register it online, you have a 1-13 chance to win the bike. We know a lot of these cigars are given as gifts and retailers will open a lot of boxes before they put the cigars on the shelf and we’re fine that they are eligible to win as well.”

He’s already thinking ahead to next year as well. “In 2010, we’re going new school with LeatherFace, it will be called ‘The Face.’ The size has not yet been determined, but it’s going to be a fatter cigar, with a gnarly, ugly wrapper on it, a marbelized cover leaf. The cigar will be unfinished, with the wrapper drooping off the cigar.

“The box will be a coffin, but ugly and brown. We’re going to have the boxmaker swipe them over the grinder one more time after they’re finished. The band will be some weird combination of the colors, too.” He hasn’t yet figured out how to package a miniature chain saw in the box to use as a cutter!

Johnson has also planned ahead for the Actor’s Series cigar for 2010: “It will be the Bela sub-series. We’ve already kind-of created that cigar. It will have a classic, elegant Ecuador Connecticut wrapper.”

Johnson’s success began with his Tatuaje brand and now has distribution all over the country, reaching about 700 stores in total. “I’m glad it’s still small,” he added.

He also noted the success of his newest blend, the Ambos Mundos. “It’s aimed at a lower price point,” he explained. “It’s my way of trying to create something that had flavor at a nicer price point for this economy. It’s been out since January and the response has been great.

“It’s a base Nicaraguan, with mild seco-viso-volado leaves and two different wrappers: Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper on one, and a Nicaraguan Habano on the other.”

He also noted that the LaRiqueza and La Riqueza Cabinet lines “are the same blend, only the box is different. We added two sizes in the Cabinet and those are round not square.

“We’re making everything out of My Father cigars in Nicaragua now except for the Tatuaje (brown label) which is still in Miami at El Rey de Los Habanos.”

Johnson’s emphasis on quality and control has made his cigars widely known and much appreciated among the cigar cognoscenti, but he’s not above having some fun with his retailers and with smokers. For an activity which is essentially a hobby, that’s a good thing.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation
Default Re: Pete Johnson goes Vampire!

I hope to be able to get a box this year since I missed the franks last year.
theonlybear4CORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21084 see here for the Drac box.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
Cool, Andrew, thanks!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:55 PM   #6
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Cool, Andrew, thanks!
, I knew it was on here before. I hope to get in on a box split.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
, I knew it was on here before. I hope to get in on a box split.
Me too. I still need to try the Frank & T110.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:21 AM   #8
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be happy to get my hands on ONE stick!!!
Old 09-18-2009, 06:30 AM   #9
bookman

Sounds like a cigar I could really SINK my teeth into!

huh? Huh? Get it??!

Old 09-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #10
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Woo hoo!

Another limited edition from Pete.

Let the games begin!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:19 AM   #11
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

Did the Frank come 13 to a box also?
Old 09-18-2009, 07:55 AM   #12
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Well, I am off to buy a new cooler today so that I will have room.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:07 AM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

After smelling the Franks, I might like to try this cigar.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #14
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate View Post
Did the Frank come 13 to a box also?
Yes. All the Halloween releases will be boxes of 13. Frankly, the Frank did nothing for me. (pun intended) I hope the Drac is better.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:39 AM   #15
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

What did a box of Franks go for?
I had one Frank cigar and gave it away. Then I never saw them ever again.
I regret being so generous!
Old 09-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #16
Red

wheres the pics
Old 09-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #17
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
wheres the pics

Old 09-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #18
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
thank ya sir! replied
Old 09-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #19
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Trading: (23)
chenvt will become famous soon enough

when are the vendors going to be announced? I need to make sure I put an order in with one for the Boris
chenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #20
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenvt View Post
when are the vendors going to be announced? I need to make sure I put an order in with one for the Boris
They made double of the Drac than the Frank (1660 boxes) so what I have heard is the 13 stores that got the Frank last year will have the most boxes and the rest will be distributed to other stores across the country. So these should be easier to get.