Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-29-2014, 07:52 AM   #1
alfredo_buscatti
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
alfredo_buscatti is on a distinguished road
Default Camacho Blackout Review

I bought a churchill in Chicago over Thanksgiving. My brother mailed it to me; I didn't want to take the it on the plane. But the box he used had a barcode destination tag on it for Chicago which hadn't been disabled, and thus it bounced back and forth between Chicago and NC for three weeks, the cigars out of proper humidity. When I finally got it, I put it in my humi and gave it a month to recover.

I finally got to smoke it last night, and it performed with bravura.

All the components of the cigar were aged before being rolled, and they were aged another two years afterward. I taste age as smooth, married tobaccos. If I tasted age in this cigar it would be in the ease with which I smoked that strength. To me ligero tastes sour and bright, but this was not the case with the Blackout, which to me tasted much more integrated, despite having a strong presence of ligero. The strength didn't bother me, and truth be told I like strong cigars.

I smoked a Bolivar Fuerte a few weeks ago, and in it the ligero was not as integrated.

The taste was deeply maduro, much deeper than the La Gloria Cubana Soberano and the E. P. Carrillo Core Line Club 52. I would call the taste associations expresso and potent dark chocolate.

This fine cigar is priced accordingly, and given all the handling the components underwent as the makers aged it, it could perhaps sell for a few dollars more. If I had the money I'd buy a box, but then again, I'd also buy 50 others; I can see myself loving 2-3 of these cigars a month. I'd like more complexity, but the makers wanted to fashion a triple maduro, and they did so quite well. 4/5 stars.
alfredo_buscatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
badbriar

Default Re: Camacho Blackout Review

Know this is an old post, but have to agree. The Blackout is one of the best cigars I've had. Excellent, deep, smooth bold flavors throughout. One of the few cigars you want to never end. Draw and burn are superb. I think Camacho was looking to pull off something like a LP #9, but for some reason, the Blackout didn't catch on. Probably was the butt-ugly band. This fine stick deserves a much more reserved, old school look.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbriar View Post
Know this is an old post, but have to agree. The Blackout is one of the best cigars I've had. Excellent, deep, smooth bold flavors throughout. One of the few cigars you want to never end. Draw and burn are superb. I think Camacho was looking to pull off something like a LP #9, but for some reason, the Blackout didn't catch on. Probably was the butt-ugly band. This fine stick deserves a much more reserved, old school look.
Makes me wanna fire up the one you gave me, this weekend perhaps
Old 10-02-2014, 12:22 AM   #4
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Same here. One of my favorites also. Had one last weekend.