Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-28-2022, 01:54 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Southern Draw help

OK, Southern Draw is a line of smokes put out by AJ Fernandez. At this point, I have tried the Kudzu and Firethorn lines and have enjoyed them both - being box worthy in both cases. I especially enjoyed the Lancero in both lines.

My question is this. There are other lines with Lanceros - Cedrus & Jacobs Ladder & Rose of Sharon.
How do they square up with the other two I have tried?

Thanks for your assistance.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 04-28-2022, 02:07 PM   #2
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Southern Draw help

Maybe I should also ask, "If you've had the lancero, compare it to the others in that particular line (if you have had any).

I am not normally a fan of Churchill sizes, enjoying robustos, lonsdales, coronas, petites, and then lanceros. Do not ask me why my tastes have gravitated that way, but they have.

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-29-2022, 10:17 AM   #3
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

So, nobody has any opinion about this?

Seriously!

Old 04-29-2022, 11:48 AM   #4
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

I've heard of these, just never tried any yet.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:15 PM   #5
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

I've only tried the box pressed Kudzu, Firethorn, Rose of Sharon, Jacob's Ladder. One other I can't remember. What I do remember is they were a bit underwhelming. I bet the lanceros would be better.
Old 04-29-2022, 03:49 PM   #6
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

There’s a reviewer named Phil Kohn who has his own site. He has reviewed quite a few of their cigars. I’ll warn you, his reviews get pretty crude. But, as long as you don’t quote them in your sermon…
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:39 PM   #7
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
I’ll warn you, his reviews get pretty crude. But, as long as you don’t quote them in your sermon…

Thanks for the chuckle.
Old 04-29-2022, 04:41 PM   #8
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
I've only tried the box pressed Kudzu, Firethorn, Rose of Sharon, Jacob's Ladder. One other I can't remember. What I do remember is they were a bit underwhelming. I bet the lanceros would be better.
Hmmm, underwhelming? That is interesting. I found the ones I had to be wonderfully tasty and complex...not on the upper end of the strong scale in either taste or lady nic.

Thanks for your viewpoint!

Old 04-30-2022, 07:48 AM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I've had a couple (Rose of Sharon, Firethorn) but in larger formats. I thought they were good, and I bet Clayton is correct about the lanceros.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 03:17 PM   #10
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

I've heard good things about the entire line. Everyone's tastes vary so YMMV
Old 04-30-2022, 05:19 PM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post
I've heard good things about the entire line. Everyone's tastes vary so YMMV
This is so true!

I am thinking of picking up some cigar from some of the different lines. I have some Firethorn & Kudzu Lanceros. I was looking to get a couple 5ers of some of the other lines (or 20 count bundles or boxes), but my problem is that I am a tightwad - and I haven't found them at a price point at which I'd be willing to pull the trigger.

I guess I need to keep looking.

Old 05-07-2022, 08:23 AM   #12
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (5)
RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Southern Draw help

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
OK, Southern Draw is a line of smokes put out by AJ Fernandez. At this point, I have tried the Kudzu and Firethorn lines and have enjoyed them both - being box worthy in both cases. I especially enjoyed the Lancero in both lines.

My question is this. There are other lines with Lanceros - Cedrus & Jacobs Ladder & Rose of Sharon.
How do they square up with the other two I have tried?

Thanks for your assistance.

Hey Rev! Hope all has been well with you! Just saw this post and wanted to give you a little feedback from my experience.

The Cedrus uses Sumatra Indonesian tobacco as I recall so those lean more to the dry spicy/peppery side. If you don't like Indonesian tobacco (I know some out there don't) then I would suggest avoiding the Cedrus.

Jacobs Ladder is a different story altogether. Earthy, zesty rich smoke, it's been a while since I've had one but I remember them being very good.

Jacobs Ladder Brimstone is very close to the original except way more savory. If you like the bbq/savory meat note that some people describe in cigars then I'd definitely suggest trying the Brimstone.

Hope that helps!!
gomeitsmybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:38 PM   #13
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomeitsmybday View Post
Hey Rev! Hope all has been well with you! Just saw this post and wanted to give you a little feedback from my experience.

The Cedrus uses Sumatra Indonesian tobacco as I recall so those lean more to the dry spicy/peppery side. If you don't like Indonesian tobacco (I know some out there don't) then I would suggest avoiding the Cedrus.

Jacobs Ladder is a different story altogether. Earthy, zesty rich smoke, it's been a while since I've had one but I remember them being very good.

Jacobs Ladder Brimstone is very close to the original except way more savory. If you like the bbq/savory meat note that some people describe in cigars then I'd definitely suggest trying the Brimstone.

Hope that helps!!
This is very helpful.
Thank you!

Peace of the Lord be with you!
Old 05-08-2022, 08:58 PM   #14
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

I tried a fiver of the Rose of Sharon lanceros. I think they were lanceros. They were 6.5" X 40. Lancero or lonsdale?

They were good, but not great. Pretty typical for the blend and nothing that made me want to buy more.