Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 05-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #381
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Being a Hockey Parent

Crappy cell phone pic, but here is the Little One heading out on the ice with her new gear. We still need to get numbers and the "M" for her jersey, but she was pretty proud all the same...
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #382
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Summer Season starts tonight.... I am REALLY happy to have the High Schoolers back on the ice....seems like it has been soooo long, but really only 3 months. Anyway, I'm pretty excited and the Little Man is geeked...
Old 05-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #383
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Summer Season starts tonight.... I am REALLY happy to have the High Schoolers back on the ice....seems like it has been soooo long, but really only 3 months. Anyway, I'm pretty excited and the Little Man is geeked...
UGH....snapped a stick tonight.... Luck has it, he is having one delivered tomorrow, but it also means that I need to order another... It is the one expense that sneaks up on me....

Crushed tonight. 1-6....
Old 05-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #384
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Ouch 1-6 no bueno.

Caught a break today with the Cougar mite skate fees. $200 he gets tuesday mite skate, friday U10 practice, sunday U10 games after Hawks MASS ends through summer, and he can skate in another regular hockey class before the tuesday mite skate if he wants. They definitely want him so I am sure thats why.

Tball tomorrow night.

Thursday blackstars skate.

This weekend is the norcal cup rollerhockey championships
He got recruited to play on a U7 team. May have to miss tball game saturday.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #385
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Ouch 1-6 no bueno.

Caught a break today with the Cougar mite skate fees. $200 he gets tuesday mite skate, friday U10 practice, sunday U10 games after Hawks MASS ends through summer, and he can skate in another regular hockey class before the tuesday mite skate if he wants. They definitely want him so I am sure thats why.

Tball tomorrow night.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #386
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Wish I knew why my phone keeps double posting.

SPOS!
Old 05-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #387
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Ouch 1-6 no bueno.

Tball tomorrow night.

Yea, it was not a banner night for the Spartans.... Hopefully Thursday night goes better.

Good news on the fees!

I look forward to hearing about the weekend rollerhockey....keep me updated & good luck to Micah!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #388
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Much better night with the Varsity tonight.... 7-3 win. Played forward, which is different, but had a few nice chances. Here are a few photos...

Old 05-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #389
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Recently found an OUTSTANDING online shop http://www.icewarehouse.com/ Have ordered twice, both times orders were processed same day and shipped. To me, that means standard shipping is two days.

No processing fees and shipping is free over $100. Also, if you join the IW Club or whatever it is(one time purchase of a $10 t-shirt), all orders are 10% off....

Long story short, I have been doing this for 8ish years and it is the best online shop I have dealt with.....
Old 05-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #390
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Recently found an OUTSTANDING online shop http://www.icewarehouse.com/ Have ordered twice, both times orders were processed same day and shipped. To me, that means standard shipping is two days.

No processing fees and shipping is free over $100. Also, if you join the IW Club or whatever it is(one time purchase of a $10 t-shirt), all orders are 10% off....

Long story short, I have been doing this for 8ish years and it is the best online shop I have dealt with.....
I use their inline section all the time.
J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #391
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Well he did the roller tourney today. There were four teams. They should have taken second, but the team that finished second had a ringer. They lost 7-3 or something and the kid scored all their goals. They did okay for a house formed team that never practiced together. But against the Quakes travel team who won out it was very obvious it was house kids.

Micah scored a fair number of goals, but at times just tried to stay back and play D. They got a medal so he had fun and was proud. He also got recruited by the coach of the house team who is forming a U8 team in the fall. The coach is a really great guy.

Micah is second from left and his buddy Alex who hes been playing ice with for two years and did the ice tourney with is behind him. Second row fourth in. They hung out all day and had a lot of fun.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #392
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Forgot to mention. He got the messier project helmet and liked it a lot. Got the one with the cage and when he saw it he said he wanted to wear a cage like everyone else now. He wore it all day yesterday. At the end of the day he implied he may still want to wear his 50/50 sometimes.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #393
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Hockey last night for the girl, hockey tonight for the boy(crossing my fingers that the JV squad has a better outing)....

Private powerskating lesson tomorrow for the boy. I send them both out, because it is "free skate". Ab's goes to the other side of the rink and tries to mimic what they are doing....
Old 05-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #394
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

You know I have been noticing it more and more on the ice and now when we went in to get new shoulder pads, we went another direction. It seems like kids are out there looking like they are wearing football shoulder pads.

We have been waiting for the 11K’s to hit the shelves here and they came yesterday. We drove down to pick some up and first think I noticed was the weight, they are HEAVY. The Little Man put them on and first thing he said, “I feel like a tank.” I kept pushing the shoulder cap down, we tried on a different size, bla…bla..bla…

Grabbed the CCM U+ Pro’s and put them on, ahhhhh….that is what a shoulder pad is supposed to look like. MUCH, MUCH lighter…. Has to be half the weight, maybe more? I am sure there is some sacrifice in protection, but????

Anyway, as it has become now….it was not my decision anyway and after going back and forth a few times, the CCM’s went to the counter…along with a new bag(last one was literally falling apart).
Old 05-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #395
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Very cool about Abby trying to copy. Thats great she has that passion. Its funny how they suprise you. As the off season has progressed and Micah is now practicing with the three clubs I have noticed he prefers the better tougher practices and wants to go to those the most. As I mentioned in the text he almost pulled off the spinorama during shootout practice tuesday. The coaches went nuts. Then on the way home he keeps talking about how he needs to practice in the garage more to get the move right.

As to the shoulder pads they are out of control. Its proven people use them as a weapon.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #396
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Kind of a spin on that we were talking about the checking age being raised by USA Hockey.
Scott said its a done deal. Having atleast one boy this will affect and possibly two I am okay with it.

I went out and got the boy a new helmet. We went with the Messier project helmet. Al isnt a fan of it and felt it was flimsy. I will say the rear lower section of the helmet has more play then I expected. It seems designed that way. The upper section seems well made. The helmet is also very heavy even with just a cage and it suprised me. It weighed noticeably more then his youth itech with a 50/50 cage. Its also a pretty big helmet size wise. We decided he really needed an upgraded helmet as he is playing with kids often a foot taller. Now I am wondering though if it was the wrong helmet. Last thing we want is him getting his bell rung this early. You can hit the helmet much harder then the Itech and he says it doesnt hurt.

Hoping Scott and Al chime in on the checking age issue as to pros and cons. As a whole I think its a good thing. I dont see much benefit in rushing checking.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #397
ahc4353

Hell, its been so many years I don't even know what age they start checking anymore.

I do remember I wished it was younger.

Last edited by ahc4353; 05-19-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #398
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Micah likes the contact and hitting a little already. I just dont see the point. The age was 11 and they appear to be moving it to 13. I cant see younger then 11 benefiting from checking.

I may not stick with the M11. Will likely have him checkout the Bauer 9900 before the season starts to see what he prefers.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #399
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

I watched a segment on ESPN's "Between the Lines" re: this. Seems like the players that they talked to, can't remember who they were, both said they were not in favor or the later checking age, saying kids need to learn how to do it and the sooner the better.... Think they were also concerned with not learning to keep your head up, making sure you weren't going to get hit...

Later you start worrying about that, the harder it is to teach or something.... I can't remember, other than them both being against raising the age.

Both sides made a rational argument.

Found the piece....

http://search.espn.go.com/outside-th...ockey/videos/6
Old 05-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #400
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Here is the discussion with Messier, Barnaby and King....

http://www.ovguide.com/video/are-con...117d36eef89c9f

....and speaking of Messier, take a look at him and then this mug...

Last edited by E.J.; 05-19-2011 at 05:53 PM.