Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
4theLoveofCedar
Burn and Turn

Trading: (0)
4theLoveofCedar is on a distinguished road
Default Smaller ring gauges = less flavor complexity?

I've discovered that I prefer smaller ring gauge cigars. My ideal size is the classic corona and I have been enjoying some lanceros recently. They just seem to burn more evenly and have a better feel in the hand. I've started buying smaller ring gauge versions of cigars that I like, and it's too soon to draw any firm conclusions, but it seems so far that cutting the RG might also cut a little bit of the complexity from the flavor profile, perhaps because the blenders can't use as many varieties of filler leaves in the smaller RGs? I don't know if there is anything to this, and I still prefer smaller RGs regardless, but just curious what others' experiences are. To be sure, there are coronas and smaller RGs that are insanely full bodied, like the Ilusione MK Corona, one of my personal favorites. But I'm just wondering if, on average, smaller RGs might be ever so slightly less complex than the larger RGs. Has anyone tried a favorite blend in a corona or smaller RG and the same blend in a robusto or larger RG? Do you notice a slightly less complex profile in the smaller RG? It might just be the particular blends I've tried (Padron 2000 v. Londres, Oliva V Torpedo v. Lancero).
4theLoveofCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Smaller ring gauges = less flavor complexity?

I would say it depends on the blend. I usually prefer a lancero and find them typically to be more nuanced in their flavors but not less complex. The thinner ring gauge allows the wrapper leaf to be more pronounced in the flavor as well. If you are heading the thin direction, might I suggest the Tatuaje Especiales or Daruma Mutante. Two of my personal lancero favorites that are fairly easy to get a hold of.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
4theLoveofCedar
Burn and Turn

Thanks. I'll check those out. Definitely digging lanceros these days.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
REALMCCOY
Just trying to keep up

REALMCCOY is on a distinguished road

The few that I had opportunity to try in different vitolas have always been less complex in a corona. But the wrapper is always on the forefront of the flavor profile in my experience. Sometimes it was a good thing. But the coronas have been somewhat one dimensional and the larger rings mostly boring. I usually know what to expect for the most part. I've had both coronas and larger sizes draw horribly when well rested. I prefer a robusto size especially in a 5.5" length, sometimes even toros. For the ones I enjoy they always satisfy. I do have my favorites in corona too. I never hesitate to try anything smaller than a sixty if its something I already like.
REALMCCOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I have actually experienced more flavor complexity in some of the smaller ring gauge cigars...Punch Ninfas, ERdM Panatela Largas, Montecristo Especiales, Partagas Serie Connoisseur and Charlottes, and La Gloria Medaille d'Or No.4 are a few that come right to mind....but I also agree with Matt that a lot depends on the individual blend.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with the Hog on this one. When I smoke smaller ring gauge sticks, the flavors are a lot more pronounced. I've only experienced this in the last year or so.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

agree... this is the reason I prefer the Corona Vitola
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

There's less (or none) volado leaf in thinner ring gauge cigars and volado is used as filler to make combustion. The leaf itself does not have much flavor.

Typically bigger ring gauge (and long) cigars aren't supposed to be a heavy full flavored as they are be being smoked for hours.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

I'm with Tom and Mac on this one. I believe the smaller Ring Guages have much more / better flavor that the larger. I prefer anything smaller that 46, even better is 42 or smaller. IMO.
And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” Acts 10:13
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
4theLoveofCedar
Burn and Turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
There's less (or none) volado leaf in thinner ring gauge cigars and volado is used as filler to make combustion. The leaf itself does not have much flavor.
Interesting. I always wondered how they could maintain the same/similar flavor profile in such drastically different RG cigars of the same blend. That makes sense.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough

It's the wrapper.The ratio of wrapper to filler is greater in a smaller stick.also the makers use less of the neutral leaf that is needed to make a larger cigar.

Is there an older thread on this?
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

I can say that generally speaking, I am able to identify more flavors out of smaller RG cigars vs. larger ones. I think the blend has a lot to do with this, because there is an intended ratio of filler-binder-wrapper with all blends. I think that once you get into RGs much larger than 50, the filler ratio gets higher and can start to mute some of the wrapper/binder flavors. It is fun to smoke different sizes of the same blend and see which size is your favorite.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

If you are used to smoking large ring gauges then switching to a smaller ring gauge requires a change in how you smoke -- at least it did for me.

Smaller ring gauge cigars require slower eaiser puffs, otherwise the cigar will overheat. If you slow down and ease up on the draw you might find the smaller ring gauges to be more flaverful.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
If you are used to smoking large ring gauges then switching to a smaller ring gauge requires a change in how you smoke -- at least it did for me.

Smaller ring gauge cigars require slower eaiser puffs, otherwise the cigar will overheat. If you slow down and ease up on the draw you might find the smaller ring gauges to be more flaverful.
This. Over the last year or so I've transitioned from smoking toros and robustos almost exclusively to preferring coronas and robustos. Smoking a 46rg when used to a 60 takes a change in how you smoke, otherwise you'll turn every smoke into a hot, bitter disappointment.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
dvickery
Team of 1

First Name: derrek
dvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura about

the most complex cigars I have ... bolivar coronas juniors ... don't get much smaller than this.

regardless of ratio of filler binder ligero etc etc ... true complexity like true strength ... only comes with time. most (Cuban) cigars don't reach peak strength for 10 years or more. lots of (Cuban) cigars don't become truly complex for 2 decades.

final thought...most people don't smoke their "epiphany" cigar...until they try their first 20 or 25 year old Cuban cigar.

trying hard not to sound snooty
derrek
Old 08-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #16
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Derrek knows his stuff ^

whatever he says, I agree.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #17
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvickery View Post
the most complex cigars I have ... bolivar coronas juniors ... don't get much smaller than this.

regardless of ratio of filler binder ligero etc etc ... true complexity like true strength ... only comes with time. most (Cuban) cigars don't reach peak strength for 10 years or more. lots of (Cuban) cigars don't become truly complex for 2 decades.

final thought...most people don't smoke their "epiphany" cigar...until they try their first 20 or 25 year old Cuban cigar.

trying hard not to sound snooty
derrek
For those that know Derrek, no explanation is needed.

For those that don't, he is as far from snooty as one can get. One of the most humble and unassuming people I know. And very knowledgeable about Cuban cigars.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #18
warpedcigars
Warehouse Smoking

Trading: (11)
warpedcigars is on a distinguished road

The most complex cigars I have smoked and blended were in the 40-46RG area, its all about the leaf used and how its blended. Large RG's to me actually produce less complexity and more dominance of a single flavor profile, smaller RG's allow you to experience the wrapper, binder, and filler in harmony.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
4theLoveofCedar
Burn and Turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvickery View Post
Looking forward to trying one someday.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #20
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

My two cents and I have not smoked a 20+ year old Cuban cigar but I drool with anticipation

I believe most blenders target an optimal size for a blend and the size varies. Illusione blends are initially designed around the corona size so it's "optimized". Then the other sizes are tweaked usually by adding more filler which I believe why large ring gauge cigars taste washed out and bland. In the last few years 60 RG cigars became vogue so new blends are optimized around the larger ring gauge and the smaller RG in the newer cigars may appear lacking.

The best advice I could offer is try various sizes in the brand and see which size appeals to you more.

My tastes enjoy the corona sizes from Illusione, Toros from Don Pepin blends and Viaje. I would love to hear others as they weigh in? I will never claim I have a good palate so take what I say as just my two cents
Weelok is offline   Reply With Quote