Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about
Default Mild to Mediums worth trying

Looking for some mild to medium bodied cigars and these are some I’ve seen and am interested in feedback on whether or not it’s worth my time to get/try them. I have had some fuller bodied smokes and enjoyed them just not the kick to the stomach afterwards so I figured I could work my way up in strength. I really like the Macanudo Hyde Park, 5 Vegas gold, and I like the Rocky Patel Connecticut and I've also had the Gurkha Status (the one I had was a tight draw torpedo). But these are some I've seen (mainly going through the CI catalog and was wondering which ones I should def try or whoa no stay away)
Montecristo
Victor Sinclair Primeros or Connecticut Yankee
LGC Retro Especial
LA Perla Habana Black Pearl & classic
Gurkha’s Park Avenue
Romeo y Julieta vintage & 1875
Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur 1066 Cameroon
1876 reserve
Perdomo Exhibicion Connecticut & ESV 2002
Don Rafael Connecticut
AVO Classic
Ave Maria
Arturo Fente don carlos & im guessing the original
CI Legends orange and blue maybe green
Ashton VSG
Alec Bradley American Classic
CAO gold & black LTD
363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation
Default Re: Mild to Mediums worth trying

Montecristo - I like these but they are pricey. Good change of pace cigar.

Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur 1066 Cameroon - Nice cigar. More medium than mild. Wrappers are very fragile.

Perdomo Exhibicion Connecticut & ESV 2002 - Very boring for me.

AVO Classic- My favorite of the bunch for a mild cigar. Very creamy with dense smoke. Great flavor.

Arturo Fente don carlos & im guessing the original - These are on the fuller side of medium but I love them. Once again, pricey.

Ashton VSG- Once gain, on the fuller side of medium but very good.

These are the ones I've tried.

MCS
Old 05-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
Infecting Via PM

RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post
Montecristo - I like these but they are pricey. Good change of pace cigar.

Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur 1066 Cameroon - Nice cigar. More medium than mild. Wrappers are very fragile.

Perdomo Exhibicion Connecticut & ESV 2002 - Very boring for me.

AVO Classic- My favorite of the bunch for a mild cigar. Very creamy with dense smoke. Great flavor.

Arturo Fente don carlos & im guessing the original - These are on the fuller side of medium but I love them. Once again, pricey.

Ashton VSG- Once gain, on the fuller side of medium but very good.

These are the ones I've tried.

MCS
Very Nice list. Couldn't agree more.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Brnedan...have a mild/medium sampler up right now in the WTS thread. PM incoming.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

I tried a Blue Lable last week. I think I got this in a bomb at some point. I found it to be a very good medium-bodied smoke at a very reasonable price. Yes, it was free for me but I looked up the price and they are cheap! I've seen varying reviews on these but I like the classic Honduran flavor.

MCS
Old 05-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

I'm partial to the Oliva Connecticut Reserve.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #8
kuzi16
the one and only

Trading: (1)
SCdlH
kuzi16 is on a distinguished road

i find it frustrating that many people believe that there are no milds or mediums worth trying. (i am not saying the original poster is saying that, but this thread popped this into my head)

there are TONS of mild and medium cigars that are worth trying. it is only relatively recently that the ultra full market has become popular.it wasnt too long ago that cigars like the el cobre, camacho diploma and the Antano were the strongest on the market and there were few others that compared.

one of the problems that i have found with very full cigars is that there is so much emphasis on the power that they seem to have forgotten about the flavor. the attitude is to pack them full of ligero and market them as powerful and people will flock to them. and they do.

balance, nuance, complexity, seem to be a dying trend in the cigar market these days as does the small ring gauge. Any one can make a flat but powerful cigar, it takes real talent to make a mild cigar with tons of flavor and complexity.

another thought:
over the last few years there has been an increasing demand for cigars. cigars are becoming popular again. not as big as the 90s boom but still on the rise. Cigar smokers tend to have a journey into cigars. I know i did. maybe we are just at that point in the progression. that progression goes something like this:

first cigars tend to be milder. the people that are mentoring the new smoker dont wanna scare off the new guy. if your first cigar makes you sick, you may not have a second. the new guy buys a few mild cigars and a humidor.

then as the new guy craves more, they naturally progress more to medium cigars to get more flavor out of them. because of a yet to be refined palate, these cigars offer way more than the milds do. they also feel more relaxing, satisfying and may last longer. medium cigars are purchased. the previous mild cigars are long gone, either smoked or traded.

soon the new smoke isnt so new anymore. they can handle fuller cigars. the mild cigars start to seem boring and dull. there just isnt as much flavor or power. even medium blends dont quite live up. finding very full cigars is priority. the mediums are traded, sold, or smoked to make room for more ligero. most palate development is done at this stage. there is so much flavor in full bodied cigars that it smacks you in the face. yes, you can argue there is less nuance and complexity (for the most part) but you cant deny the fact that there is flavor. the smoker starts to really understand flavor on many different levels.

then, one day, a package arrives in the mail, or that smoker is digging through the humidor and come across a cigar that is mild. thinking "eh what the heck" he gives it a try. his fully developed palate is now able to understand flavor on a level like he never could the last time he smoked a mild cigar. mind is blown.
there is now an entire world of cigars that he has had before that he will want to try again since the palate has been developed. all the mild cigars that he had in the past are new again. there is a new understanding.

but there is one problem.
the humidor is packed to the brim with full bodied smokes.

not everyone has this EXACT progression. but something similar may happen. or, somewhere along the line, you may stop. some never go back to mild cigars. (personally i think they are missing out). some may appreciate them and just like a medium body or a full body even more.

but most go through a progression similar to the above and end up not necessarily with a love of, but at least an appreciation of mild cigars.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
Infecting Via PM

RA

kuzi16 any suggestions on mild to medium smokes to try that you enjoy?
Old 05-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #10
Infecting Via PM

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
I'm partial to the Oliva Connecticut Reserve.
I got the Oliva sampler with one of those in it, I am looking forward to giving it a try
Old 05-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #11
kuzi16
the one and only

Trading: (1)
SCdlH
kuzi16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 363 View Post
kuzi16 any suggestions on mild to medium smokes to try that you enjoy?
room 101 connecticut, anything by Davidoff but i am partial to the 2000, Avo classic, MoW Virtue, JdN Cabinetta, Cabaiguan by Tatuaje, RyJ Reserva real, San Lotano Connecticut, Ashton Classic, Verdadero Organic, and of course Zino Classic (thats my "mind blown" cigar that got me back into mild cigars).

medium cigars:
Camacho Connecticut, Avo Domaine, 5 Vegas series A, La Palina Family Series, Casa Magna Colorado.

some of this may be subjective. i mean, 6 years ago i would have put a few of the mediums in the full category. but given the full trend, they are only medium.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #12
Infecting Via PM

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzi16 View Post
room 101 connecticut, anything by Davidoff but i am partial to the 2000, Avo classic, MoW Virtue, JdN Cabinetta, Cabaiguan by Tatuaje, RyJ Reserva real, San Lotano Connecticut, Ashton Classic, Verdadero Organic, and of course Zino Classic (thats my "mind blown" cigar that got me back into mild cigars).

medium cigars:
Camacho Connecticut, Avo Domaine, 5 Vegas series A, La Palina Family Series, Casa Magna Colorado.

some of this may be subjective. i mean, 6 years ago i would have put a few of the mediums in the full category. but given the full trend, they are only medium.
awesome thanks a ton I'm def going to look into these. I got the MoW Virtue at home from the CI Mild & Mellow sampler and have had one, was a bit peppery at the time but then I had only smoked 2 or 3 cigars, looking forward to trying it again. I had the San Lotano Habano in a toro gordo it was a great smoke but a little to much for 1 sitting for me, and I've been looking into getting some of the Connecticut.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Kuzi has a great point...as I followed that same progression. While now I perfer a more full bodied smoke...I still revisit those milder sticks once in a while. For me the perfect mild stick is the Tatuaje Series P...these things are mild as can be, but loaded with great flavors. It is my go to change of pace stick when I am feeling something lighter.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

The La Aurora base line Cameroons or maduros. Mild-medium, yummy, and inexpensive.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
Bugbear

Some good suggestions. +1 on the Cabaiguan, although I like the Guapos Natural Wrapper

Some others

La Aroma de Cuba EE Robusto (medium)

Davidoff Colorado Claro (medium, delicious though, assuming you can find them)

EPC New Wave CT - wow what flavor

San Cristobal Elegancia - probably my newest fav Shade grown CT

Camacho 11/18 CT - a classic
Old 05-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #16
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Kuzi has a great point...as I followed that same progression. While now I perfer a more full bodied smoke...I still revisit those milder sticks once in a while. For me the perfect mild stick is the Tatuaje Series P...these things are mild as can be, but loaded with great flavors. It is my go to change of pace stick when I am feeling something lighter.
Agree With Mac On The Tat P For A Mild Smoke.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #17
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

AVO XO

I just had my first one tonight and was very impressed. It started as a slightly heavy-mild and progressed, but never got past medium.

The flavor was excellent, as well as the construction. I'm impressed, and I'm coming back for more.

Give it a try. I saw that you've already tried the AVO classic but, since I've not smoked that cigar, I can't compare them for you unfortunately.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #18
Infecting Via PM

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
AVO XO

I just had my first one tonight and was very impressed. It started as a slightly heavy-mild and progressed, but never got past medium.

The flavor was excellent, as well as the construction. I'm impressed, and I'm coming back for more.

Give it a try. I saw that you've already tried the AVO classic but, since I've not smoked that cigar, I can't compare them for you unfortunately.
I have only tried the first few before the list starts but, I will def give it a shot. I just had the Oliva Connecticut which was really good, while trying to remove the band the wrapper ripped a little but it didnt effect the draw at all which was good
Old 05-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #19
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

Brickhouse !!!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #20
Trace63
We're all mad here

First Name: Kamil
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Trace63 is on a distinguished road

How about you just send me your address and Ill show you what mild and medium smokes are worth it
[replicant_argent] 11:07 am: Wasn't wayne a busboy at the last supper?
[Dooge] 10:49 pm: just judo chopped a fly
Trace63 is offline   Reply With Quote