Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #1
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation
Default internet speed help

So I was convinced to pay extra to get "super fast up to 75 MBS" internet speed. Yet, my speed rarely goes over 25MBS. I realize that 75 is unrealistic, but shouldn't I get speeds closer o 40 or even 50? I hooked up to one of those "through the house wiring" devices to get a wired connection, but this seems to make little difference. I was told that the modem is not the problem. HELP! Verizon FIOS.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #2
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Re: internet speed help

Are you getting the same basic speed you were before you switched and did you try http://www.speedtest.net/ to see what actual speed you are getting? It tells you what other people are reporting their speeds as as well to compare.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #3
mncigarguy
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
mncigarguy is on a distinguished road

Your modem must be able to support those speeds, I would look into that again.
mncigarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #4
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Best option, move to Seoul. US internet sucks, but makes up for it by being overpriced,
Old 02-21-2015, 07:29 PM   #5
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

I had a problem with FIOS 2 years ago when the 35Mbps that I was paying for wasn't toping 12Mbps. Many calls to Frontier and several service calls including twice replacing the point-of-presence before they found the one guy who knew how to handle this specific situation and sent him out.

Push hard and tell them that they owe you money for not delivering on what they sold you until they start delivering what you are paying for.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:12 PM   #6
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Check your speed when closer to the router, preferably in the same room. Speed will decrease the farther you are away. If its slower to where you need it, you might try moving the router to a different location.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:52 AM   #7
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

If you are paying for 75 then you should be seeing upper 60s at least. I would keep bugging them and ask for a refund on your bill due to not receiving the higher speeds.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #8
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

If you're wireless is only on 802.11g "G" being the important indicator, you're probably at the max it can handle. "G" tops out around 24-25Mbps. Ideally you want 802.11n for devices and the WAP/Router, which can handle around 150Mb/s. This will give you faster wireless capabilities than your ISP is providing (75 Mb/s), preventing a bottleneck.