Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough
Default Extended Service Warranty's

So I know all the consumer advocate groups out there say don't buy them. And I seldom do. BUT... a little story..

Feb 4th 2006, getting ready to host a Superbowl Party (Seahags and the Squealers) ZAP my big screen TV dies. It was 10 years old so I figure it had served me well. I run to my closest Electronics store (Circuit City) and buy a really nice Sony. My wife is running at the mouth to the sales person and he talks her into an extended warranty. $500(5yrs)

Fast forward to two months ago, my TV goes ZAP! And I figure for sure it is out of warranty, I do some troubleshooting and find that the lamp is just burnt out...fix it my self.

Fast forward to three weeks ago, TV goes ZAP! I figure I must have done something wrong with the lamp replacement...nope still good. I do some diagnostic testing (counted the blinks on the standby light ) and find out BAD NEWS! Its toast. I figure I am buying a new TV and I am royally pissed off!

The wifey goes looking for the warranty, but I tell her "Trust me, its not under warranty anymore"...she finds it and it is under warranty till Feb 6th 2010! WOOHOO!

They came out and looked at it, and sure enough...its TOAST! So they are either gonna send me a brand new 60inch Mitsubishi or 1800 bucks! My choice!

Nice!
Old 08-31-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
adampc22

Default Re: Extended Service Warranty's

if that were me man it would have gone out of warranty the day before it broke thay should change the words ''sods law'' to ''adams law''
Old 08-31-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you!! I always buy them on major purchases. Had my first plasma go out last year and was only 20 months old. Ended up getting the same deal as you...another 50 inch or $ 1799. I took the money and went to Costco and bought a 55 inch Vizeo.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I avoid the extended warranties as a rule, but I did make an exception for my 50" Panasonic plasma....it wasn't too expensive, and gave me peace of mind for my first plasma purchase. Glad yours worked out well for you Kirk.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

I dont by these, I self insure. Figure this... if you bought a TV, washer/dryer, Bluray, etc, etc and add up all the warranties, if probably adds up to more then replacing the most expensive item. A better deal is to use an AMEX card for major purchases, they double manufacturers warranties for up to 2 years for free. Adding this into the equation, make these store offered warranties even more expensive. Anyway, I am gald you got to use it and enjoy the new TV but honestly, you rolled the dice and got lucky. Generally speaking you are better off self-insuring unless you are the most unlucky person in the world. Take the cash and go shopping... $1800 buys a LOT these days! Enjoy it.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloo View Post
I dont by these, I self insure. Figure this... if you bought a TV, washer/dryer, Bluray, etc, etc and add up all the warranties, if probably adds up to more then replacing the most expensive item. A better deal is to use an AMEX card for major purchases, they double manufacturers warranties for up to 2 years for free. Adding this into the equation, make these store offered warranties even more expensive. Anyway, I am gald you got to use it and enjoy the new TV but honestly, you rolled the dice and got lucky. Generally speaking you are better off self-insuring unless you are the most unlucky person in the world. Take the cash and go shopping... $1800 buys a LOT these days! Enjoy it.
I don't use credit cards. And I never buys these, this is the only one I can really think of...glad it worked out!
Old 08-31-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

Partagas

I would seriously consider getting an Amex for big purchases. I had a laptop with a manufacturers warranty of 1 year go bad at 18 months. AMEX tried to fix it, no go, so refunded the full amount and I bought a new one (plus I get a nice 2% check at the end of the year for all purchases). I also charge all bills that accept credit card free of charge to it which essentially saves me 2% on those charges (be careful, some places charge 5% to pay with credit card). I am with you with credit cards in general, but the double warranty is huge for me, I buy anything that can break with it and the 2% cassh back does not hurt either.

Check out the new LED lit LCD screens, they are AMAZING! They have true black which really makes the picture quality amazing.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:35 AM   #8
Azpostal
Feeling at Home

First Name: Don
Trading: (9)
Army (Served With Honor)
Azpostal is on a distinguished road

That is awesome! I just had a Sony go out 3 weeks ago and replaced the lamp and it worked for 2 weeks. Well I didn't get the warranty so I have a 50inch sitting in the living room next to the 32 I took out from the bedroom. I might have to get one next time because the TV was only 3 years old.
Azpostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:49 AM   #9
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
I would seriously consider getting an Amex for big purchases. I had a laptop with a manufacturers warranty of 1 year go bad at 18 months. AMEX tried to fix it, no go, so refunded the full amount and I bought a new one (plus I get a nice 2% check at the end of the year for all purchases). I also charge all bills that accept credit card free of charge to it which essentially saves me 2% on those charges (be careful, some places charge 5% to pay with credit card). I am with you with credit cards in general, but the double warranty is huge for me, I buy anything that can break with it and the 2% cassh back does not hurt either.

Check out the new LED lit LCD screens, they are AMAZING! They have true black which really makes the picture quality amazing.
Yea well, Sears just bought us a new 1000 dollar dryer and threw in a free extended warranty.
That said, on certain appliances we do buy the extended warranty.
Do you work for AMEX?
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:08 AM   #10
DougBushBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
Yea well, Sears just bought us a new 1000 dollar dryer and threw in a free extended warranty.
Do you work for AMEX?
I sure don't and I really really value all of Amex's services, the extended warrenty being just one of them. Any big purchase, and any electronic, I buy on my Amex. I am not carrying a balance with them, you have to pay at the end of every month, but I am getting a LOT from the relationship!

-D
Old 09-01-2009, 06:44 AM   #11
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

This is a great piece of advice Visa, MC and AMEX all offer some sort of warranty when using their cards for purchases. This saves a lot of money and pain when dealing with extended warranties from B&M's. They have a lot of fine print that makes their warranties useless.

Visa Info

MC info

AMEX info
Old 09-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #12
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
Do you work for AMEX?
Heh, no, never have worked for Amex or any other financial company. Nope, just a very happy customer. The reason Amex charges more at the retailer end for their services is in part to cover the services they provide. My Amex is my go to card for this reason. They are truly "on your side" when stuff happens and many people do not know or take advantage of the warranty extension offered automatically on purchases (keep your receipt AND a copy of the billing statement that included the charge BTW).
Old 09-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #13
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

My big screen blew out back in Feb., but thanks to MC's 2x the manufacturer's warranty, they picked up the $700 repair bill. The timing worked well for me, because the MC 2x warranty ended in March.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:35 AM   #14
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

:My girlfriend's billion dollar washer went on the fritz and her extended warrenty fixed it. As a general rule like Tom I avoid them. I factor how much all of them totalled would be vs how many things break on me and thier cost, which isn't many/that much. Course the peace of mind alone they provide may be worth it, it's an individual call.
Glad it worked out for you though.
kenstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:37 AM   #15
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

I normally skip the extended warranty bit myself but I was blessed with a little foresight when I bought my wife's treadmill. In less than three years she's "crossed the country" on that thing at least once. She killed two main motors, one elevation-control-motor, a belt and the actual tread-belt.

I'm so very glad we got the extended warranty on that one.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #16
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Glad to hear this worked out for you brother.

Chris.....
Old 09-01-2009, 08:44 AM   #17
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

I usually only consider an extended warranty when purchasing a car.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #18
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I have a three year bumper to bumper extended warranty on my cars, and I just bought a warranty on my iphone.
I'm pretty sure that's all three extended warranties I've bought in my lifetime.
Nice work, Kirk. (On the listening to the wife part.)
Old 09-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #19
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

My family seems to be pretty hard on cell phones, so I get the warrantee on those now after replacing a few on my own dime.