Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice
Question Broken EdgeStar cooler

All this talk of wineadors got me looking in to doing my own.

I found one on Craigslist for $100, but it's broken. It's a BWC120SSLT - EdgeStar 103 Can and 5 Bottle Ultra Low Temperature Beverage Cooler - Stainless Steel.

Here's his statement: "I purchased a Beverage cooler 13 months ago and I believe it has a short in it. From what I can tell, it needs a new relay/overload and costs at $30 from the manufaturere (Edgestar) but It may need a new compressor. I am not mechanical at all and just figured I should sell it and get a brand new one instead. Sometimes it turns on, and sometimes it doesnt, it makes a clicking sound every few minutes from the back of the machine (Maybe you will know what this means?)"

Sound like a decent deal? I know I'll never use the "cooler" part of it, and am looking for a fancy glass-doored Igloo. He says it looks brand new.
Lockspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Broken EdgeStar cooler

If the room where you will keep the wine cooler maintains a reasonable temperature then you should not need to run the compressor. Many people use wine coolers as humidors and never plug them in.

Having said that, $100 seems a little high for a broken one. Just my

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #3
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

for another $100 you can get a working one that IS BRAND NEW. i had to go the wineador route because my room and humidor would get too hot in the summer so i needed something to keep it cool.

this is the one i have and if you keep a look out you can get it for $199 on sale but the company is Austin so you will have to pay sales tax and it comes with free shipping.

http://www.compactappliance.com/Kold..._Refrigerators
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

If it's the kind of cooler that uses a compressor, it may not be suitable as a humidor because it may not be airtight.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
If it's the kind of cooler that uses a compressor, it may not be suitable as a humidor because it may not be airtight.
I do not think that this is a true statement. The actual storage box in a wine cooler is the same construction whether the unit uses a compressor or thermo-electric unit for cooling.

To ensure that the cooler is airtight (in either case) you just need to seal up the drain plug with some putty or duct tape.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_jaygee View Post
...some knowledge...
I'm debating going the wineador route for all of my loose cigars. I buy a lot of samplers and 5-10 packs. The desktop will be for my "premium smokes" , the big Igloo™ is for boxes, small Igloo™ for overflow from big. Small desktop for 60% beads. Plus I need a side table in the living room, and I can't afford an Aristocrat. It was either that, or extend and enclose my patio. Guess which won?

(sigh) I dunno. I still have that large desktop coming at the beginning of May. I'll wait for it to show up before I pull the trigger on anything.

Thanks for the link tho. That looks like a winner. And 219 is still a good price.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

I bought mine when it went down to $199 so keep checking it every couple of days and the price will drop.
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockspur View Post
I'm debating going the wineador route for all of my loose cigars. I buy a lot of samplers and 5-10 packs. The desktop will be for my "premium smokes" , the big Igloo™ is for boxes, small Igloo™ for overflow from big. Small desktop for 60% beads. Plus I need a side table in the living room, and I can't afford an Aristocrat. It was either that, or extend and enclose my patio. Guess which won?

(sigh) I dunno. I still have that large desktop coming at the beginning of May. I'll wait for it to show up before I pull the trigger on anything.

Thanks for the link tho. That looks like a winner. And 219 is still a good price.
Scotty, you definintely need a Wine Cooler. You absolutely do not have enough storage for your cigars!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Scotty, you definintely need a Wine Cooler. You absolutely do not have enough storage for your cigars!
Said the dealer to his drug addict.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post

Just remember though, it'll only be for storing second rate tobacco.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Just remember though, it'll only be for storing second rate tobacco.
AND third rate.