Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road
Default Best Man Speeches

Anybody ever give one? Any advice?
Old 09-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Best Man Speeches

I'd recommend not starting the speech out by telling a story about the groom jello wrestling with two midget strippers.

Best to leave that for the end of the speech. Right after the explanation of what that tattoo really means.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Tell the kind of stories you'd like to hear about yourself in that situation, and avoid those you wouldn't. Oh, and congratulate the groom, and wish the bride good luck.

Yeah, I know it should really be the other way around, but that's the "proper" etiquette.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Whatever you say, the biggest tip there is:

Do not start out a speech say "I don't do this often... Not good at giving speeches..."

The audience has no idea if you are virgin at speaches or is a seasoned speaker until you just said I suck and time to get drink if you don't have one.

Other important tips:

Limit the "I's" like like "I think". Who else is thinking if it is not you? Limit the "um's" and repeititious words one uses when at a loss for words.

Keep the stories polite for the whole of the audience. Cocaine binges and three-somes stories may be a hoot when talking among the guys, but the parents and relatives may not think so.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Short, sweet, forgettable. They aren't there for your speech. Target the older women in the audience. If they think it was sweet then you did good.

Some of the best remarks that I have heard in such speeches are along the lines of, "Who would have thought when you were a mere babe in Aunt Martha's arms that you would meet such a wonderful and loving person as your new wife". Simple reference to the extended family coupled with compliments on doing so well.

Mind you, if there is a well known event, an oblique reference can be heartwarming in the appropriately sappy way. "All of us, of course, hope that your children have the good sense not to make smores with a welder's torch".
Old 09-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I'd recommend not starting the speech out by telling a story about the groom jello wrestling with two midget strippers.

Best to leave that for the end of the speech. Right after the explanation of what that tattoo really means.

I agree with short, sweet, and to the point...nice little inuendos about how the couple is made for each other and how they will spend a life together in harmony. Good luck!!
Old 09-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
darkleeroy
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Josh
Trading: (0)
HUpmann
darkleeroy is on a distinguished road

I'v given and received best man speeches. Here's what I learned:

Congratulate the bride and groom. It doesn't matter if you've got what equates to the Gettysburg Address of wedding speeches, if you forget to mention the groom and especially the bride, you're going to look like a tool.

Prepare something, you're going to give a speech in what costed thousands of dollars. And the guy who considers you his best friend asked you to give a speech to her and his behalf, don't ruin it.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (21)
ERdM
Samsquanch will become famous soon enough

Keep it short, make them laugh and then make them cry.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Echoing some of the above.

- keep it short
- keep it sweet
- keep it about them and their relationship, not your escapades with the groom
- thank everyone for coming on the bride and groom's behalf (they may not have the chance to make that sort of announcement themselves and it was very appreciated when my best man did)
- thank the bride and/or groom's parents on all the guest's behalf

Good luck!
Old 09-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
ahc4353

Lots of great advice from the guys above.

Short and from the heart. If your eyes get misty, you done good.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #11
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

and don't forget to smile
Old 09-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #12
DocLogic77
Feeling at Home

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (1)
Partagas
DocLogic77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Short, sweet, forgettable. They aren't there for your speech. Target the older women in the audience. If they think it was sweet then you did good.

Some of the best remarks that I have heard in such speeches are along the lines of, "Who would have thought when you were a mere babe in Aunt Martha's arms that you would meet such a wonderful and loving person as your new wife". Simple reference to the extended family coupled with compliments on doing so well.

Mind you, if there is a well known event, an oblique reference can be heartwarming in the appropriately sappy way. "All of us, of course, hope that your children have the good sense not to make smores with a welder's torch".
This part

"Who would have thought when you were a mere babe in Aunt Martha's arms that you would meet such a wonderful and loving person as your new wife".

I would probably leave that out. It makes Aunt Martha sound like a byotch.

I agree with short and sweet. Write it out and practice. Give the speech in front of a mirror. Give it to others and ask for input. Unless you are truly a funny person jokes do not always go over well. Comedy isn't my strength and I would probably stay away from jokes. I basically would want a speech that people DONT think about for the next 20 years.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
Vigiles
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Garrett
Trading: (3)
Vigiles is on a distinguished road

I gave my first best man speech over the summer.

It was about 2 mintues long and the bride cried during it. (which is a good thing in this situation!)

Always, always, mention how gorgeous/beautiful the bride looks. Always.

i wrote out my whole speech, but had most of it memorized the night of the reception, which helped a lot.

I had a fair amount of "interruptions" during my speech, be prepared for that, just in case. (they were good interruptions, so it was ok)

I was ALMOST too drunk, which isn't a good thing. I had planned on having maybe 2-3 drinks before the speech, just to loosen up a bit. Then on the 20 minute limo ride from the wedding to the reception, some of the wedding party started passing around multiple bottles of champagne, not good. Luckily in the end it didn't affect the speech, but it could have. So be careful if you drink before the speech.

Its always ok to poke fun at the groom, tread lightly on poking fun at the bride though.

If you aren't a good public speaker (I am not!) practice your speech, out loud, maybe in front of a mirror at first, then in front of some family and friends. Practice, practice, practice!

HAVE FUN with it! I was pretty nervous about the speech, but it ended up being a lot of fun!

If you have any questions please ask!
Vigiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #14
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Like others have mentioned, make sure to write it out and practice it.

A queue card with bullet points works well and will allow you to work the audience as you'll see the next topic at a glance.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #15
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Do not make reference to the grooms former flings, that he was a real player until he met the bride, etc. I've heard a lot of these and it never comes off well at all. Otherwise, I agree with the advise above. Short and sweet and light-hearted are best.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #16
maverickdrinker
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: art
Trading: (15)
Cohiba
maverickdrinker will become famous soon enoughmaverickdrinker will become famous soon enough

Thank the groom for the privledge and opportunity to speak
Congratulate the bride and complement her.
If you have a great story or two of the couple, share them.
Say that they were meant to be and cannot picture them without each other.

My closing line has always been

May the only pain you experience is champagne and strawberries together.

Works like a charm and brings the house down.

Good luck
maverickdrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #17
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

I think my best man speech was something like "I called this one far before they started dating..." and ended it on a heartfelt note.

Don't sweat it too much. It really doesn't have to be as serious and uptight as people make it out to be. I guess it depends on how formal the rehearsal dinner is, my speech was given in a BBQ joint.
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #18
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about

I just winged it! It went well, just let it flow....
Superbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #19
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

It should go along these lines

Old School Wedding Speech

Seriously though something short and from the heart.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #20
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

This is a great best man speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc

Oh, you meant "best man" speech, not best "man" speech.

sorry