Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Humi Pillow question

So lets just say I have a box or two of cigars that are VERY wet. And lets say that I'll be theoretically shipping them to a very cold area, and it might take a couple weeks to arrive.

Does a humi pillow have the ability to absorb moisture from the air in the way beads do, or do they just release moisture?

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
Slavac

Default Re: Humi Pillow question

I don't believe so.

Consider that you have to immerse the pillow in water to 'active' it. Further, these often sit out in the open air and do not appear to absorb moisture.

If it were me, I'd sacrifice a palm full of heartfelt or Shilala beads, toss them in a small tupperware with holes in the top and be done w/ it.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

I know Bovedas are supposed to be two-way. I dont have any of those though.

"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
I know Bovedas are supposed to be two-way. I dont have any of those though.
Boveda's absorb moisture? I didn't know that. You learn something new every day.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Boveda's absorb moisture? I didn't know that. You learn something new every day.
http://www.boveda-direct.com/company/process.cfm

Quote:
In Humid Environments
If the humidity inside the humidor starts to climb above the target humidity percentage printed on the packet, it will immediately absorb excess water-vapor until the humidity is lowered to the exact humidity target on the packet.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Yup, they do. As do the humidipacks that Fuente and a few other manufacturers use. I recharge them all the time - when the pack starts to get crunchy, I just grab a tupperware container and seal the pack in there with a paper towel or two that have been saturated with distilled water - just make sure the pack and the towel aren't contacting each other, and then just wait a week. The back will be pretty close to fully recharged.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

I'm pretty sure they would...

http://www.stogiefresh.com/journal/C...5DA44D947.html
Old 10-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

From Kevin at Water Pillow -

In theory, yes…an unhydrated Water Pillow should act as a desiccant within an a sealed, over-humidified environment. The key would be to ensure that the WP cell is completely “dry”, as the polymer will seek to absorb moisture and create an equilibrium. This is the first request I’ve had for this application, however, and I cannot guarantee its success…however it stands to reason that this will help to reduce the moisture level in the cigars.

I hope this information helps…please let me know if it works! If I may answer any additional questions, please let me know.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
So lets just say I have a box or two of cigars that are VERY wet. And lets say that I'll be theoretically shipping them to a very cold area, and it might take a couple weeks to arrive.

Does a humi pillow have the ability to absorb moisture from the air in the way beads do, or do they just release moisture?
Moe, I've used a new water pillow (place the blue part dry inside the plastic holder) and it will absorb some moisture from cigars. Not as well as a Boveda pack or beads do, but it does work. I've used them that way with a spare 20 stick humi to dry out some rather wet sticks. They would have to be in some sort of airtight container or at least a big ziplock bag. YMMV...

I usually buy 12 packs of pillows at Famous for about $6, when I'm placing an order. I like to use them when I'm shipping sticks.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Thanks for all the info fellas. Im just gonna wait a couple days and dry box these before shipping them out.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

I think most humi packs use PG to regulate and if so they should be able to absorb moisture. right?
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunng View Post
From Kevin at Water Pillow -

In theory, yes…an unhydrated Water Pillow should act as a desiccant within an a sealed, over-humidified environment. The key would be to ensure that the WP cell is completely “dry”, as the polymer will seek to absorb moisture and create an equilibrium. This is the first request I’ve had for this application, however, and I cannot guarantee its success…however it stands to reason that this will help to reduce the moisture level in the cigars.

I hope this information helps…please let me know if it works! If I may answer any additional questions, please let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alley00p View Post
Moe, I've used a new water pillow (place the blue part dry inside the plastic holder) and it will absorb some moisture from cigars. Not as well as a Boveda pack or beads do, but it does work. I've used them that way with a spare 20 stick humi to dry out some rather wet sticks. They would have to be in some sort of airtight container or at least a big ziplock bag. YMMV...

I usually buy 12 packs of pillows at Famous for about $6, when I'm placing an order. I like to use them when I'm shipping sticks.

If you cut the pillows open and dump the polymer gel into a jar or dish, then slilghtly hydrate it before placing it in a humidor, it tends to work better as both a dessicant and humidifier. I have a friend in Florida who swears by that method.

YMMV.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:56 PM   #13
tenbaseg
Saying no to daily deals!

First Name: Garrett
Trading: (40)
tenbaseg will become famous soon enoughtenbaseg will become famous soon enough

Moe, I don't live THAT far away.
tenbaseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #14
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Yup, they do. As do the humidipacks that Fuente and a few other manufacturers use. I recharge them all the time - when the pack starts to get crunchy, I just grab a tupperware container and seal the pack in there with a paper towel or two that have been saturated with distilled water - just make sure the pack and the towel aren't contacting each other, and then just wait a week. The back will be pretty close to fully recharged.
I placed a shot glass filled with distilled water and a bone dry Fuente pillow into a tuperware container and it worked like a charm. Now they're nice and plump again.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #15
sodomanaz

During this time of the year, most pillows arrive at my doorstep frozen anyway. This is usually the time that any cigar that arrives to me in the mail sits a lot longer in the humidor.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:29 PM   #16
Slavac

Huh. Learned something today.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #17
SilverFox

For future reference if you are looking for fast dry boxing silica beads work great you have all seen them, the are the little tea bag looking things that are shipped inside almost every electronics box and marked "Do Not Eat". They are used to prevent any moisture from forming during shipping and warwhousing that can vause damage to sensitive circuitry.

Next time you see them throw em with the rest of your accessories they make for helpful dryboxing accelerators

oh and kudos to Moe for giving a damn about his hypothetical situation.