Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Drazzil
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: David
Trading: (31)
RyJ
Drazzil will become famous soon enough
Default Need advice on a tablet PC or e reader

I need something to browse the internet, read comic books and books (something that will read standard format books and comics) with no restrictions on the types of files it can read.

I read that the android and ipad file systems lock down the types of programs that can be used on their OS, so I am maybe looking at a cheap tablet PC?

Anyhow any advice would be appreciated.
Drazzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Need advice on a tablet PC or e reader

An eReader is out because the Internet browsers leave a lot to be desired.
I can't speak about android but the iPad can run apps that can read just about any electronic book file type. You can run a Kindle app, iBooks among others. I use freeware on my desktop called Calibre to manage my eLibrary. I can convert books and put them on my laptop, Kindle and iPad.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I have an IPad with a Kindle App, reads real well. If you are wanting something smaller, I would suggest the Kindle Fire. I have been been comparing them for Leigh.

P.S. the price difference also helps, IPad $500, Kindle Fire $200
Old 06-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Microsoft just announced a new tablet today...runs windows 8 2usb ports, screen cover has keyboard built in so you can have a keyboard if you want it or leave it behind. Looks pretty cool. No idea on price yet though.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (21)
ERdM
Samsquanch will become famous soon enough

I'll throw in a +1 for an iPad, I use one and love it. The iBooks app actually reads the open source ebook file types called ePub. It also reads PDFs and the major comic book publishers all have apps to download and read comics.

There are restrictions on the types of files it can read but I haven't run into a problem with it.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

+1 for iPad

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Depends on the apps you want to run. The iPad is great with the kindle app (convert books using the calibre program which also manages your libraries). The new MS tablet that MS hopes will be an iPad killer was just announced and will run Windows 8, but not sure if it has full runtimes and such to be able to run arbitrary apps.

If browsing the internet is not a huge priority, the Amazon Kindle Fire might work, but you can't run your own apps. The price you pay for a good e-reader is a locked down system, at least for now.

If reading e-books, newspapers, magazines, etc. is the main thing for the next 2 years or so, I'd go with the Kindle 3G. Free wireless through AT&T and easy to manage subscriptions at Amazon. I actually turn the wireless off for about 1.5 weeks of heavy reading. I plug the device in to my PC where I run calibre to manage the device. I've heard good things about the Kindle Fire, but I've also heard that you may as well get an iPad on the refurbished market for what they cost and do.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans105 View Post
Microsoft just announced a new tablet today...runs windows 8 2usb ports, screen cover has keyboard built in so you can have a keyboard if you want it or leave it behind. Looks pretty cool. No idea on price yet though.

This is the first tablet I've seen that's actually peaked my interest. It runs on Windows 8 so it basically bridges the gap between the tablet and the laptop. My wife has an iPad and it just seems like a big iPhone to me minus the phone. I don't see what all the hype is about.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans105 View Post
Vapourware until it's released and proven usable. MS has tried tablets and smartphones many times without getting it right. Based on the Win8 smartphones I've played with thus far I see no reason why this tablet will break that trend.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
Malazan
Still Watching My Back

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
Malazan is on a distinguished road

I love my kindle
Old 06-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
Vapourware until it's released and proven usable. MS has tried tablets and smartphones many times without getting it right. Based on the Win8 smartphones I've played with thus far I see no reason why this tablet will break that trend.
True. Sadly very true. If it is a legit product, I'm in. Until then, I have an iPad that I jailbreaked...jailbroke? I like it, probably wouldn't get another though.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:01 AM   #12
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

First Name: J.T.
Trading: (40)
Cohiba
Angry_Pirate is on a distinguished road

I have an Asus Transformer Prime best of both worlds with the keyboard dock and 18 hrs of battery life with the Tablet and Keyboard dock are combined. Usually take it when we go on vacation.
Angry_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:03 AM   #13
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Pirate View Post
I have an Asus Transformer Prime best of both worlds with the keyboard dock and 18 hrs of battery life with the Tablet and Keyboard dock are combined. Usually take it when we go on vacation.
This!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:26 AM   #14
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

I have the kindle fire and love it, though like someone already said, it is limited content-wise by the Amazon market place. You can "sideload" other apps that aren't purchased from Amazon, but I haven't been inclined to do that. I use it primarily as an e-reader and internet browser. It does not have 3-G, so you need to use wi-fi for the internet. I can't imagine relying on an i-pad as an e-reader given its size (it must get tiring to hold for any period of time), but I've not tried it.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

I use a Toshiba Thrive and love it, I didn't think I'd ever use it but It ended up basically being attached to me at the hip. I've yet to find anything an ipad can do that it can't, other than be an overpriced piece of hypeware.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #16
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

We seem to be putting a lot of time on our Kindle Fire. Browser isn't all that bad, IMHO....
Old 06-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #17
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazzil View Post
I read that the android and ipad file systems lock down the types of programs that can be used on their OS, so I am maybe looking at a cheap tablet PC?
Not sure where you heard that, but iOS is the one that locks you down. You can do pretty much anything you want with most android based devices.

I use Aldiko on my Touchpad with Andoird on it. Aldikok with Calibre and I can read any format from any source.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #18
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

I have a Toshiba Thrive and a Nook color. I read a lot more on the Nook Color because of the size/feel in my hand.

My recommendation would be to hit a best buy or similar store if possible to play and see all of your options in one place and see what is most comfortable to you.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #19
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

My 2 cents is an iPad but if price is of importance then the Kindle Fire.

Can't go wrong with either really!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #20
Nathan
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (4)
Partagas
Nathan is on a distinguished road

I love my iPad. I would have never bought one myself, I got it for free. Now that I have it I would buy another if I broke it.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote