Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-08-2017, 02:01 AM   #21
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: Vintage cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Maybe he was expecting someone to tell him they were worth a ton and be willing to buy them off him.
Nah, I directed him here when I saw the picture on a Facebook group. He didn't even had a clue how old these cigars were, only after my response to his picture he found that out.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:11 AM   #22
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Thank you, Ferdie.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #23
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
Nah, I directed him here when I saw the picture on a Facebook group. He didn't even had a clue how old these cigars were, only after my response to his picture he found that out.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:57 PM   #24
kevind587
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
kevind587 is on a distinguished road

Here is a link to better quality pictures
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/Kevi...ibrary/?src=pb
kevind587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #25
kevind587
Just in from the Storm

Thanks for the detailed info, I'm definitely interested in learning more about these so I can tell the story when they are displayed. But I will definitely pick a few to restore using the steps you described and try smoking them. I've been smoking cigars for a few years now and am always up for a news experience.

Here is the link to better quality pics

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/Kevi...ibrary/?src=pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post
Hi, guys. Sorry I've been away so long. I'm battling health issues, the nature of which I won't bore you with. I missed the camaraderie and the friendships I nurtured here.

To the OP, Kevin; I need a graphically better photo than the one you provided to make an educated guess. The reason it will be a guess (albeit imbued with some fairly extensive knowledge of very old cigars; I have boxes over 100 years old) is that, unfortunately, you didn't receive the boxes for these, and those (along with the tax stamps on them) are what tell the true story of an old cigar's age and provenance.

I can tell right off the top that you have two genuine Clear Havana, long-filler sticks there; the two wrapped in foil. That was expensive back then, and reserved for very special cigars. The rest, well...it's hard to say. They certainly do seem to be of the era in which a lot of US-rolled cigars used Cuban tobacco. But many more of them used tobacco from CT, PA, OH, and other states. That doesn't mean they're not desirable; but the "clear" Havanas, or especially the Bonded Havanas are premium.

I would be grateful if you could capture a clearer, high-quality photo, close-up, of the lot. I could probably tell you more by examining the bands and other aspects. I am by no means the definitive expert on this, but as I said I collect them extensively and have acquired valuable knowledge over the 40+ years that I have smoked hand-made cigars.

One more thing; On NYE, I have a tradition of picking one stick out of my "oldies" humidor, and smoking it. Last 31 January, I smoked a White Owl, non-punched, long-filler cigar. These attributes denote a quality smoke for the time. The cigar came to me unboxed, but I estimate it (and its companion, still in my humidor, to be a 1940s-1950s stick. As you would imagine, it was light on the palate, but through the nose I was delighted to find nuance and flavor. Not bad at all for a stick as old as 70+yrs.

So here's my advice regarding keeping/smoking these:

Humidify them at 70% (with beads) and keep them cool to keep them from bursting or bulging...for as long as six months to a year. These cigars often come to us from estate sales, and they are by and large not curated as we would now. They'll need time in a TLC environment in order to restore as much as they can be. I recommend a humidor lined with Spanish cedar; don't keep them in the tin unless you open the top, nor in glass, to prevent mold.

If they are in very bad shape, they may never come back completely. If they were kept at least in a cool, dark place, you may be able to restore them close to their original states. Certainly, they will not approach the strength nor vitality of more recent cigars, curated properly all their lives. Don't let that stop you.

Either way, after whatever time you deem enough, smoke one. You might be delighted and surprised by it.

Meantime, please try to publish a higher-quality photo. I'd love to have a closer look.

I'll make an effort to be around more often than every four years. No promises, though.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:03 PM   #26
kevind587
Just in from the Storm

Sorry for the delay in responding, been a busy week. I definitely plan on hanging around long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post
Hi, guys. Sorry I've been away so long. I'm battling health issues, the nature of which I won't bore you with. I missed the camaraderie and the friendships I nurtured here.

To the OP, Kevin; I need a graphically better photo than the one you provided to make an educated guess. The reason it will be a guess (albeit imbued with some fairly extensive knowledge of very old cigars; I have boxes over 100 years old) is that, unfortunately, you didn't receive the boxes for these, and those (along with the tax stamps on them) are what tell the true story of an old cigar's age and provenance.

I can tell right off the top that you have two genuine Clear Havana, long-filler sticks there; the two wrapped in foil. That was expensive back then, and reserved for very special cigars. The rest, well...it's hard to say. They certainly do seem to be of the era in which a lot of US-rolled cigars used Cuban tobacco. But many more of them used tobacco from CT, PA, OH, and other states. That doesn't mean they're not desirable; but the "clear" Havanas, or especially the Bonded Havanas are premium.

I would be grateful if you could capture a clearer, high-quality photo, close-up, of the lot. I could probably tell you more by examining the bands and other aspects. I am by no means the definitive expert on this, but as I said I collect them extensively and have acquired valuable knowledge over the 40+ years that I have smoked hand-made cigars.

One more thing; On NYE, I have a tradition of picking one stick out of my "oldies" humidor, and smoking it. Last 31 January, I smoked a White Owl, non-punched, long-filler cigar. These attributes denote a quality smoke for the time. The cigar came to me unboxed, but I estimate it (and its companion, still in my humidor, to be a 1940s-1950s stick. As you would imagine, it was light on the palate, but through the nose I was delighted to find nuance and flavor. Not bad at all for a stick as old as 70+yrs.

So here's my advice regarding keeping/smoking these:

Humidify them at 70% (with beads) and keep them cool to keep them from bursting or bulging...for as long as six months to a year. These cigars often come to us from estate sales, and they are by and large not curated as we would now. They'll need time in a TLC environment in order to restore as much as they can be. I recommend a humidor lined with Spanish cedar; don't keep them in the tin unless you open the top, nor in glass, to prevent mold.

If they are in very bad shape, they may never come back completely. If they were kept at least in a cool, dark place, you may be able to restore them close to their original states. Certainly, they will not approach the strength nor vitality of more recent cigars, curated properly all their lives. Don't let that stop you.

Either way, after whatever time you deem enough, smoke one. You might be delighted and surprised by it.

Meantime, please try to publish a higher-quality photo. I'd love to have a closer look.

I'll make an effort to be around more often than every four years. No promises, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I will assume the best, and hope that kevind587 comes back for some info, and decides to become a part of our community.

But it wouldn't be the first time.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:25 AM   #27
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Thank you for the update and link, Kevin.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote