Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 10-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about
Default A Basic Humidor Buying Guide

Humidor Buying, Simple Guidelines

Buying a humidor is a serious step, so having the best knowledge possible is essential in choosing a humidor that not only fits your needs but doesn't break your bank.

The keys points in choosing a quality humidor:

1.) Size. This is tricky because most places list the size by "Cigar Count". The estimates on how many cigars the humidor they are selling varies greatly. IGNORE the "Cigar Count" and look at the actual dimensions. When comparing two humidors, multiply the L x W x H to get the cubic inches and then compare them. FYI- Typically, "cigar count" when referring to humidors, is based on a Corona size cigar, which is 42 x 5 5/8".

2.) Gauging quality is tough when viewing humidors online but there are a couple of things you can look for.

A.) The first thing to watch out for is using any wood other than Spanish Cedar for the inside lining. You'll be amazed at how many places don't!

B.) The second is the use of acrylic instead of glass for glass top models or screen printing a "wood inlay" instead actually using wood. If the manufacturer skimps on the glass or inlay, they probably skimped somewhere else as well.

C.) Joinery. The best quality humidors use dove tails or splines and are made of exotic woods. An affordable humidor should have at least mitered corners "butt joints" are no good and should be avoided.

D.) The pictures. Look closely at the pictures, you can often tell how "cheap" a humidor is if you look closely at the finish and hardware shown in the pics.

3.) Beware of inflated shipping! Humidors can be pricey to ship depending on the size but a humidor that costs $20 shouldn't have shipping cost of $35. An average desktop humidor (13"x10"x6") shouldn't run more than about $15 shipped within the US via Priority Mail. If someone won't openly list their shipping prices, keep looking. This particularly is important when buying off of Ebay.

4.) Check their return policy! Avoid "no returns if box is open" or "all sale are final".

5.) Also, go bigger! Everyone who gets into cigars eventually ends up buy a larger humidor down the road. You have done the research and are finally making a decision to buy a quality humidor, you might as well buy one that you can "grow into" instead of starting over a few months from now.

If in doubt, ask questions! And don't forget about the coolerdor! It's simply the most cost effective way to get started in the hobby!

It's a weird phenomenon that occurs with we cigar smokers. We will spend a fortune on cigars but when it comes to the two most important aspects of properly maintaining their collection (humidors & humidification, they suddenly turn thrifty. This is DEFINITELY not the time to sacrifice quality for a deal if you intend on storing cigars for any period of time, whether a month, months or years….don't cheap out on your humidor or it's humidification!

I hope this helps and happy smoking!

~Mark

N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A Basic Humidor Buying Guide

I just designed my dream humidor and went way bigger than I need now but I wanted this to be the last one I would need for awhile. Having a gentlemen custom build it for me should have it mid-April can't wait.
marge796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Any Recommendations For A Quality Humidor That Holds RH Very well, 200-300 Count for $300 or less? I Have 4 Humidors , None Of Which Hold RH Well at all. Is The Sure Seal Technology Found on Some humidors found in www.cheaphumidors.com A Good Quality? Thanks For Recommendations!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Any Recommendations For A Quality Humidor That Holds RH Very well, 200-300 Count for $300 or less? I Have 4 Humidors , None Of Which Hold RH Well at all. Is The Sure Seal Technology Found on Some humidors found in www.cheahumidors.com A Good Quality? Thanks For Recommendations!
The "Sure Seal" is in all Quality Importers humdiors

In that price range & count requirement, I'd recommend this one:

http://www.cigarmony.com/thetreasuredome250count.aspx

But I'd also recommend reseasoning your humidors, replacing the batteries in your digital hygrometers and calibrating as well as upgrading your humidification to RH Beads if you haven't done so already.

I hope this helps

~Mark
N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
htown
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (29)
RyJ
htown will become famous soon enoughhtown will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Advnture View Post
The "Sure Seal" is in all Quality Importers humdiors

In that price range & count requirement, I'd recommend this one:

http://www.cigarmony.com/thetreasuredome250count.aspx

But I'd also recommend reseasoning your humidors, replacing the batteries in your digital hygrometers and calibrating as well as upgrading your humidification to RH Beads if you haven't done so already.

I hope this helps

~Mark
I have this humidor and love it. I got it on the devil site for $86.
htown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #6
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Thanks, Mark & Mike!
Old 11-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

Heed guide #5. If you think you are buying a humidor ten sizes bigger than you'll ever need, you're only about 12 sizes too short.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Oh, My Lord!!!! Just Received My Treasure Dome Today. That Thing Is Huge!!!! Beautiful, Well Made Humidor That Should Last Me A Lifetime! Thanks For All The Advice, All!
Old 11-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Oh, My Lord!!!! Just Received My Treasure Dome Today. That Thing Is Huge!!!! Beautiful, Well Made Humidor That Should Last Me A Lifetime! Thanks For All The Advice, All!
Can I quote this post when you make the inevitable "Looking To Upgrade" thread in, let's say 6 months?
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Can I quote this post when you make the inevitable "Looking To Upgrade" thread in, let's say 6 months?
Posted via Mobile Device
This Is It For Me, Jeff! This Thing Is As Big As A Footlocker!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #11
bigheadmark
Uncle Jun, how was Boca?

First Name: MARK
Trading: (1)
bigheadmark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by htown View Post
I have this humidor and love it. I got it on the devil site for $86.
? what's the devil site?
bigheadmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #12
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigheadmark View Post
? what's the devil site?
www.cigarbid.com Look Under "Merchandise". Looks Like The BID for The "Treasuredome" is going for $65 At The Moment.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #13
bigheadmark
Uncle Jun, how was Boca?

First Name: MARK
Trading: (1)
bigheadmark is on a distinguished road

Thanks!
bigheadmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #14
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigheadmark View Post
Thanks!
You Will Soon Know Why They Call It "The Devil's Site", My Friend!
Old 11-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #15
Humidor Minister

Very good advice. The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #16
Pauly Walnuts

i bought my first humidor the other day, i thought i would go with a 20 capacity, but everyone says buy more than what you think you will need so i got the 50 capacity with a glasstop because i know i would always be opening the lid to look inside haha, what do you guys think of this one as far as a beginner goes?
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...text=whitetail
Old 01-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #17
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Walnuts View Post
i bought my first humidor the other day, i thought i would go with a 20 capacity, but everyone says buy more than what you think you will need so i got the 50 capacity with a glasstop because i know i would always be opening the lid to look inside haha, what do you guys think of this one as far as a beginner goes?
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...text=whitetail
That's a nice one. I notice you like Acids. Be sure not to store them and regular cigars together. If you like the Acids enough to buy alot of them, you will need to store them in a separate humidor.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #18
Pauly Walnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
That's a nice one. I notice you like Acids. Be sure not to store them and regular cigars together. If you like the Acids enough to buy alot of them, you will need to store them in a separate humidor.

Really.... I didnt know that, is it because their aroma is so intense that it will affect the taste of other cigars in the humidor? or something along those lines?
Old 01-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #19
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Walnuts View Post
Really.... I didnt know that, is it because their aroma is so intense that it will affect the taste of other cigars in the humidor? or something along those lines?
Yep. That goes for any flavored cigar too.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #20
Pauly Walnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Yep. That goes for any flavored cigar too.
Alright thanks for the info.