Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #21
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lars Tetens Cigars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
The new LVHs are a mixed filler bargain smoke made specifically for CI.

The old LVHs were an entirely different cigar, long filler, w/ cameroon capas. Pretty decent cigar actually,

The long-gone LVH Early Years with the broadleaf maduro capas were actually a rather high quality product but CI sold them at such a deep discount it was ridiculous.

Yeah, I hear you. ACIDs aren't for me either. Lot of people like them though - they sell like mad.

I do keep some Tabak Especial negras around, pretty much for the same reason as you did.
I bought a number of boxes of LVH from cigarbid for damn near free. I'd send them to my buddy in North Carolina, because he loved them.
I can't remember what wrappers were on them, one was light, one darker. I was thinking Connie and Cameroon. I don't remember seeing maduros.

The acids are something else. All I can say is that the troops love them, so I gather up what I can. I try not to get them near my nose. I like a flavored cigar from time to time, I really have nothing against them, and if I mouth smoked an acid, maybe it wouldn't be so acrid. I'm guessing that's why kids like them so much? All I can say is EEEeee-yewwww.

Is the Negra the replacement for the Kahlua? I reemember them losing the rights to the name, unless it was another name, and they were going to launch their own replacement.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #22
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I bought a number of boxes of LVH from cigarbid for damn near free. I'd send them to my buddy in North Carolina, because he loved them.
I can't remember what wrappers were on them, one was light, one darker. I was thinking Connie and Cameroon. I don't remember seeing maduros.

The acids are something else. All I can say is that the troops love them, so I gather up what I can. I try not to get them near my nose. I like a flavored cigar from time to time, I really have nothing against them, and if I mouth smoked an acid, maybe it wouldn't be so acrid. I'm guessing that's why kids like them so much? All I can say is EEEeee-yewwww.

Is the Negra the replacement for the Kahlua? I reemember them losing the rights to the name, unless it was another name, and they were going to launch their own replacement.
You're right, there was a Connecticut and maybe a few other capas in the blue bands. I was thinking of the LVH Leather Patch (white band) which was a different blend and only came with a Cameroon capa when I wrote the earlier post.

The La Vieja Habana Early Years (red band) were a stronger blend that only came as a maduro. These were the best of the bunch. In fact for the final run of these, Jon had changed the blend to one of the Liga Privada #9 sample blends that didn't make the final cut for the Liga, but they liked it enough to use it for the LVHEY line.

The Tabak Especial was kind of intended as the replacement for Kahlua, although I've been told by people who have smoked both that the Tabak isn't as heavily infused, nor as sweet, but they are happy with it. The negra is the broadleaf maduro capa, the colada (?) is the natural. I would avoid the colada personally, it has a funky carbon and flax seed type taste.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #23
mariogolbee

I liked the first Kuba Kuba I smoked. I liked the second a little less. I still have to go back and revisit one of the two I still have some time. I enjoyed the Kahlua from time to time in the past. I know one BOTL who really likes the Tabak Especial. There is one other Acid I really likes at one point, and several I've hated to death. I do have one LVH that I still need to smoke. I think it may be one of those older Maduro ones.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #24
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

Gorilla Finger bad.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #25
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
The new LVHs are a mixed filler bargain smoke made specifically for CI.

The old LVHs were an entirely different cigar, long filler, w/ cameroon capas. Pretty decent cigar actually,
(SNIP)
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the donkey turds I got were the mixed filler LVHs, but I got mine from JRs.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #26
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I have had a few of the DEs. They seem to taste delicious to me at first, before I was into cigars. Now I can't go back. The Opulence 3 is decent just too sweet for my tastes.
The ACID Toast is good but way too sweet as well. I think the biggest thing is they are just too sweet, I have trouble tasting the tabacco. I now recommend them to anybody who is a non cigar smoker. The Erin Go Braugh and the Acid Toast are what got me into cigars so I can't bash them too hard.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #27
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
Don't lie, you loved every single minute of it. I even saw you nub the damn thing
It was a dare...I had to do it.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #28
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Darren, if you bought it off the shelf in the last few years it probably was mixed filler. I should clarify the CI connection, the mixed filler was done at their request and to their specifications, that's what I meant by made specifically for them. Since then, other vendors have gotten them, although I'm not sure if they are buying them direct from DE or from CI.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #29
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaDooley View Post
Gorilla Finger bad.
I see the CI mug hiding in there!
Old 07-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #30
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Darren, if you bought it off the shelf in the last few years it probably was mixed filler. I should clarify the CI connection, the mixed filler was done at their request and to their specifications, that's what I meant by made specifically for them. Since then, other vendors have gotten them, although I'm not sure if they are buying them direct from DE or from CI.
I gotta wonder if the folks at CI who commissioned them actually tried smoking these things, and did they actually like them?
Old 07-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #31
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Ya know, some days, it's all about the Benjamins...
Old 07-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #32
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
It was a dare...I had to do it.
what if I dare you to smoke another one?
Old 01-17-2017, 03:28 AM   #33
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Lars Tetens quit making cigars but now he's back into cigars, both infused and non-infused.

I got approached yesterday by Josh from Lions of Luxury, a company Tetens now works with and apparently my old Gorillafinger review is haunting them. They want to redeem themselves and are sending me a few non infused cigars to review. Can't wait to try them.