Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
badbriar

Default Big ring gauge cigars...

What's with the reluctance on the part of so many towards big ring gauge cigars? Now, I realize that a 70 rg is pretty ridiculous, but I personally like the occasional 60 to 62 stick. Was at the local B&M looking for something different and was recommended to try a LFD double ligero maduro. Love the Oscuro natural, so I jumped at the advice. Only thing was that the only Vitola left was the double toro at 6-1/2 x 60. Absolutely superb tasting cigar, but rocked my world with the strength. First experience at a bi rg stick was a good one for me!
Just my 2c...
RR
Old 10-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Big ring gauge cigars...

for me it is just not a comfortable cigar...i prefer 52 and down with the robusto as a favorite and the petite corona as a close second. the larger cigars just dont feel right in my hand or mouth (insert joke here) and the taste and flavors seem muted.
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

The Tyrone?
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

I don't have anything against big RG cigars, but in most cases I have found that I enjoy the flavors in the smaller RG vitolas (Corona, Robusto) to be more pleasing to me. Also, for general smoking comfort, I just don't enjoy dealing with puffing on a 60 RG cigar for the 1+ hour it usually takes to smoke them.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

For me, I'm going to say it boils down to convenience and comfort. For example, I like to smoke with no hands when I'm surfing the web or doing yardwork. Anything over 50 becomes tough to hold onto without running the risk of dropping the cigar or having to use your teeth. Second, while a lot of larger RG sticks do indeed have good draws, I feel like you have to work a lot harder to smoke them and keep them lit (the camacho triple Maduro, while an amazing stick, comes to mind). But that's just me. Big RG isn't a deal breaker, just not my preference.
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
MUNKY
Resident Pig Hunter

First Name: Brandon
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
MUNKY will become famous soon enoughMUNKY will become famous soon enough

For me its time, I can burn through and fully enjoy 2 robustos and smaller in the time I can a snickers bar. The one big one I did enjoy that comes to mind is the Animal Cracker!
Old 10-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
the jiggler
¡taste my pirate paddy!

First Name: Craig
Trading: (24)
the jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura about

Heard the surrogates Animal Cracker is the best 60 yet... Can't wait to try it.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Leaf_PDX View Post
I don't have anything against big RG cigars, but in most cases I have found that I enjoy the flavors in the smaller RG vitolas (Corona, Robusto) to be more pleasing to me. Also, for general smoking comfort, I just don't enjoy dealing with puffing on a 60 RG cigar for the 1+ hour it usually takes to smoke them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_jaygee View Post
for me it is just not a comfortable cigar...i prefer 52 and down with the robusto as a favorite and the petite corona as a close second. the larger cigars just dont feel right in my hand or mouth (insert joke here) and the taste and flavors seem muted.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

Just don't like the way if feels in my mouth.... (thats what she said) yup...
Old 10-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

My understanding is that the blends for each line typically done to a corona size, then adapted to each other vitola. This results in more bland filler used to create larger ring guage cigars. The other thing I've read and found to be true is that the flavor of the wrapper leaf, the most expensive/best quality leaf in the cigar, is more prominant in smaller ring guage cigars as it represents a larger percentage of the overall tobacco vs a big ring.

I'm far from a expert but those are the reasons I'm familiar with, personal preference aside. I started off with bigger ring sticks and moved to smaller over time. Now my favorite vitolas are corona or petite corona. Lanceros are nice from time to time as well. With very small RG stuff you are forced to take your time or you'll ruin the cigar. They quickly turn hot/bitter if you "Hoover" them. Larger RG are more forgiving in that regard, making them a little easier for less experienced smokers.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
My understanding is that the blends for each line typically done to a corona size, then adapted to each other vitola. This results in more bland filler used to create larger ring guage cigars. The other thing I've read and found to be true is that the flavor of the wrapper leaf, the most expensive/best quality leaf in the cigar, is more prominant in smaller ring guage cigars as it represents a larger percentage of the overall tobacco vs a big ring.

This is exactly my thoughts too.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Big rings are just uncomfortable for me, and if I'm working, they take up a hand.
PC's and lanceros are quick and fit the time I usually have allotted for a smoke. If I have more time, I can enjoy a lot more different cigars in the time I'd spend on a big ring toro.
That's just me, though. Smoke what you like, brother.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Long and Skinny cigars FTW.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Big rings are just uncomfortable for me, and if I'm working, they take up a hand.
PC's and lanceros are quick and fit the time I usually have allotted for a smoke. If I have more time, I can enjoy a lot more different cigars in the time I'd spend on a big ring toro.
That's just me, though. Smoke what you like, brother.
+1 What he said.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #15
Big Maduro
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
Army (Served With Honor)
Big Maduro will become famous soon enough

I used to smoke almost nothing but 60 ring gauge. I find the slightly smaller RG has more flavor and better draw.( usually not always)
Big Maduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #16
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

To me the big RG is just too large and seems like a jaw breaker. But I'll submit that recent blends are designed around the 60 RG or even higher so blends created in the last 2-3 years will more then likely taste just great. I'll also submit that blends designed at a time longer then that and then released as a big RG in the last few years are going to be washed out or at a minimum quite a bit different then intended.

But as always, smoke what you like as everyone's palate is unique.
Weelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #17
Retiredguy
Life is good

First Name: Jack
Trading: (0)
Retiredguy is on a distinguished road

Anything bigger than a 52 is just not comfortable for me.
Retiredguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #18
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

I prefer smaller RG's for all the reasons stated above....and, I just generally find that they taste better to me.

On the other hand, smoke what you like.

My biggest 'problem' with the larger RG's is that their popularity is crowding out the skinnies for B&M facings. It isn't unusual for my local to put out a new blend with nothing smaller than 56 -- because that's what the 'masses' want. Pisses me off that I have trouble finding a corona when I want one.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #19
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
My biggest 'problem' with the larger RG's is that their popularity is crowding out the skinnies for B&M facings. It isn't unusual for my local to put out a new blend with nothing smaller than 56 -- because that's what the 'masses' want. Pisses me off that I have trouble finding a corona when I want one.
+1 for this. Obviously, most shops aren't going to have every vitola a cigar comes in, but it's rare that they carry lancero or corona formats when they can have Robusto Gordos or larger formats. But hey, that's just me being picky!
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #20
CigarInspector
Blogging hedonist

First Name: Denis
Trading: (0)
RA
CigarInspector is on a distinguished road

I thought you guys were going to play one-upsman. I prefer a 52 and down, but recently had the horror of smoking an El Monstruo Bazukas, a whopping 140 gauge. Thankfully, there were no cameras present to capture the absurdity of having that monster in my mouth. This cigar was a gift purchased by a friend. He thought I needed to smoke it at the same time he smoked his, of course.

The cigar's flavor was decent. It burned nice and even. It gave me the feeling of having lockjaw. I used scotch to lubricate my jaw.

After smoking that monster with him, I took two days off from smoking cigars. I felt like smoke was seeping out of every pore of my body. Fun experience, but I will never do it again.
CigarInspector is offline   Reply With Quote