Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-30-2017, 05:15 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default La Sagrada Familia toro

Last april I posted a review of the La Sagrada Familia, the brand of Dutch cigar aficionado Tom Mulder. The line, made by Joya de Nicaragua, comes in three sizes (so far?), a 5×50 robusto that I reviewed, a 6×50 toro, that I’ll be reviewing now and a 6×60 gordo that I will ignore due to the ring size that I hate. Too much flavorless filler in a big ring cigar compared to the flavorful wrapper, the ratio is gone and that makes almost all big ring gauge cigars flat, undynamic and boring to smoke in my opinion. Ofcourse, there might be gordo sized cigars out there that are specially blended for the size that might not be so boring and flat, but I haven’t had one yet and I’m not eager to try such big cigars anyway.

I really liked the robusto, I have high hopes for the toro too. I haven’t talked to Tom in a while so I don’t know if his cigars will be distributed in other countries than just The Netherlands but if not, and you are dying to try these cigars, there are a few Dutch retailers that will ship to wherever you want them too. Just shoot me a message, here or on Facebook, and I’ll send you in the right direction. And trust me, you want to try these Nicaraguan tobacco filled cigar with the Ecuadorean habano wrapped cigars. The robusto is €8 and the toro will set you back €9, I don’t know the price of the Gordo.

The cigar looks good, reddish brown with a few veins that give it character. The construction feels good and the triple cap is placed perfectly. The cigar has a strong aroma, a mixture of a smoldering fire pit combined with manure. That doesn’t sound to appealing, but somehow it is a pleasant smell. The ring is blue, white and silver. A blue background with silver grayish lining and a silver grayish band in the middle and a crown in the centre, I call it a Rolex crown. There are also two white lines and white lettering La Sagrada Familia and smaller letters hand made Nicaragua. Oh, and in case you haven’t read it, Tom is donating $ 0.10 of every cigar sold to a local charity in Nicaragua, find out more on the website www.bepartofthefamily.com

I punched the cigar, the cold draw is perfect and gives me a rye bread flavor. I lit the cigar with my vintage Ronson. I taste coffee with some bitter chocolate and something metallic. After an inch I taste leaves with a little bit of caramel sweetness. The cigar gets a little spicy too and after two weeks I taste a strong perfumed floral flavor with the autumn leaves, and some toast too. The aftertaste is pepper. After two thirds I taste cinnamon and nutmeg but the flavors give me a dry feeling in the back of my throat and I still taste some floral notes.

The smoke is thick, white and plentiful. The draw is perfect. The burn is good, nothing to complain about. The ash is light colored and firm. The cigar is medium bodied yet full flavored with some interesting flavors and a nice evolution. The smoke time is an hour and a half.

Would I buy this cigar again? I prefer the Robusto, even though the floral notes in this vitola are stronger.

Score: 91

pictures? https://cigarguideorg.wordpress.com/...-familia-toro/