Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
CigarRod
CigarRod

First Name: Rod
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
CigarRod is on a distinguished road
Default Glass Jar Humidors

Just got a H. Upmann Glass Jar humidor from a yard sale for 3 bucks.
I see some folks sellin em online used as "rare" humidors for like 120-150 bucks.
It has a cedar like inset and a removable foam bottom.
What if any of your experience with these type of humidors? Thanks and have a great week with some long ashes!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Glass Jar Humidors

Can you post some pictures of it Rod?
Old 06-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
justonemorestick
Kat Krap Kontanment Media

First Name: Warren
Trading: (13)
justonemorestick is on a distinguished road

I would be careful trying to buy anything "rare and one of a kind" online as most people want too much for the items they have. That being said you might have found yourself a great bargain. Pictures will make it easier to get a good read on what its value might be.

The only ones I have seen were originally used to ship/display a box of cigars ie: Free with Purchase. But This could have been some sort of limited release and worth $$$.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:39 AM   #4
CigarRod
CigarRod

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaDooley View Post
Can you post some pictures of it Rod?
Here are a couple pictures.
One of the jar with the insert that came with it.
(not sure if I should gently wipe this down with distilled water or not and how often)
and one of some type of authinticity sticker from the bottom of the jar.

Thanks for the input so far!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0063.jpg (89.8 KB, 516 views)
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqIOKiwE3D+u91-(BNzgYtcom!~~_1.jpg (34.4 KB, 355 views)
Old 06-06-2011, 05:56 AM   #5
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarRod View Post
Here are a couple pictures.
One of the jar with the insert that came with it.
(not sure if I should gently wipe this down with distilled water or not and how often)
and one of some type of authinticity sticker from the bottom of the jar.

Thanks for the input so far!!
Looks like one of the Noella Jars
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan View Post
Nope, look at the pic of the bottom. It is a NC Upmann Vintage Cameroon Belicoso jar. With that authenticity sticker, I would guess not terribly old but a great humidor.

scottie
lol, I'm a dope. Saw that and just wasn't paying attention. I think I'm still hung over from Saturday
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #7
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

That's probably worth about ten bucks to someone on this forum. It is a fairly recent item, but not SO recent.
However, "ProCigar" as a Dominican Producers Association is a second generation organization, that has likely
been around less than 12 years. The first was started about 16 years ago or less. That said, I had never seen that jar.
If you had posted it without the pic of the bottom, I would have sworn it was a cuban item, at least as a thumbnail.
Even as a large pic, that 1844 doesn't stand out too bad, marking it as a non-cuban item. If it was an actual cuban jar
from 30-70 years ago, it would be worth a decent amount even without cigars, perhaps a hundred bucks to the right person.
As it is, you got it for approx 1/2 or 1/3 the value at 3 bucks. Like anything here, it's worth what someone would PM you
and offer. REGARDELESS, that's one nice piece of ephemera
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:04 AM   #8
CigarRod
CigarRod

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
That's probably worth about ten bucks to someone on this forum. It is a fairly recent item, but not SO recent.
However, "ProCigar" as a Dominican Producers Association is a second generation organization, that has likely
been around less than 12 years. The first was started about 16 years ago or less. That said, I had never seen that jar.
If you had posted it without the pic of the bottom, I would have sworn it was a cuban item, at least as a thumbnail.
Even as a large pic, that 1844 doesn't stand out too bad, marking it as a non-cuban item. If it was an actual cuban jar
from 30-70 years ago, it would be worth a decent amount even without cigars, perhaps a hundred bucks to the right person.
As it is, you got it for approx 1/2 or 1/3 the value at 3 bucks. Like anything here, it's worth what someone would PM you
and offer. REGARDELESS, that's one nice piece of ephemera
Awesome info! I have already had a PM offer for it, but naw, I wont sell it, I'm slowly turning into a SWAG HAG much to my girlfriends dismay, but at three bucks it looks cool enough me to keep, and may even use. Should I throw a humidisc in there? A water pouch? Boveda? I'm thinking of keeping some premiums in there since it holds about 25.

I don't keep much inventory since I'm looking for work.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
lbowles2
Luv me some broadleaf!!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (84)
lbowles2 will become famous soon enough

I would just use a Boveda pack with it. It should work great and it looks cool. Put some nice looking smokes in there and display em.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I also should have clarified, it's REALLY worth what someone here will pay, because there is no way to know
what someone feels it is worth to have one of their own. Might be as high as 40-50 bucks. As far as humidity,
remember that these are airtight. If you introduce moisture into it, you may grow mold. If the cigars that go in are
properly humidified you might be best served by putting NOTHING in it. However, as stated, Bovedas are good at
absorbing excess moisture, so maybe that would not be a terrible idea, but CERTAINLY no old-style 'green foam'-type
devices. And there is nothing wrong with being a swag-hag, one day we will ALL have our own smoking rooms.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #11
CigarRod
CigarRod

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I also should have clarified, it's REALLY worth what someone here will pay, because there is no way to know
what someone feels it is worth to have one of their own. Might be as high as 40-50 bucks. As far as humidity,
remember that these are airtight. If you introduce moisture into it, you may grow mold. If the cigars that go in are
properly humidified you might be best served by putting NOTHING in it. However, as stated, Bovedas are good at
absorbing excess moisture, so maybe that would not be a terrible idea, but CERTAINLY no old-style 'green foam'-type
devices. And there is nothing wrong with being a swag-hag, one day we will ALL have our own smoking rooms.
here here!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #12
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Make sure your cigars won't 'float' around in there. If you have any room for movement, put some bubble wrap in there to take up space. I don't like standing cigars on their feet because if it is not full, the slightest movement may cause foot damage to the cigar.

Last time I was there, there were still a couple of those jars in JR's in Statesville.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
OLS
Suck It

I was so disappounted when Lew came out with his "amatista jars" that were supposed to be as good as these
old school jars. Not only do I not prefer the smokes that came packed in these gimmicks, but a plastic
'tub' is not a glass cigar jar. I wonder if there are any of these glass ones left in their online store.....hmmm.
------edit-----------
Nope, lol.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #14
CigarRod
CigarRod

Cohiba

This thing closes so tight that I think I'll put at least a water pillow in there to support the cedar circle thing that came with it. Also, open this thing at least a couple times a week. Mold conserns me.