Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
mscales

Default V-cut cutter?

Is anyone using the V-Cut cutters and if so, how do you like them. I have tried different cutters but haave not found one I like so I use a punch. In fact, I make the punches out of shell cases. I use a nickel plated .270 or .30 cal case for most and a .40 or .45 cal for some of the larger cigars. For small cigars I use a .223 or even a .17 HMR case. I use a Exacto Knife to sharpen the edge by beveling the inside edge until the case rim is sharp. These work great and are good conversastion pieces. But, I would still like a cutter and teh V-Cut cutters look interesting. Any thoughts?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice
Default Re: V-cut cutter?

I actually prefer a V-Cut except on Torps and Belis. I feel I get a cleaner cut than a Guillitine and I just don't like a Punch for some reason.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
mscales

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
I actually prefer a V-Cut except on Torps and Belis. I feel I get a cleaner cut than a Guillitine and I just don't like a Punch for some reason.
What brand V cutter do you use or have used? Any reccomendations?

The reason I like my Punches is that they make a nice cut without tearing. The ones I make stay sharp and don't break or loosen. I hate the punch that comes on the torch type lighters as they seem to come loose and are not big enough and are not very sharp. On my sheels I drill out the primer pockets to almost the diameter of the inside of the case. This gives a place for the debris to go but it doesn't just fall out leaving little cut discs in your pocket or on the floor. Then every so often you just clean it out.

Last edited by mscales; 03-20-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscales View Post
What brand V cutter do you use or have used? Any reccomendations?
I actually use the cheap $5 one I got from my local B&M although a Xikar is on the short list. When I am home I have a stainless table top one that has two different sized holes for the caps. I can get the brand for you when I go back out to the garage.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

I have the Xikar VX V-cutter and it's my go-to for just about any cigar, if you like a V-cut I highly recommend it.
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
GolfNut
Back in the woodshop!

First Name: Forrest
Trading: (38)
Partagas
GolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura about

Yup, another vote for the Xikar. It's pretty much all I use.

I even used it last night on a LGC Figurado Reserva
Old 03-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

How is that Xikar? Is it cheap plastic or no? I've been skeptical about getting one because they look kinda cheap but command around $40-$45 bucks.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
mscales

Thanks. I was doing a little research on V cutters and found a 4 place table top cutter. It had 2 cutters for different size cigars that cut a slice and then had 2 V cutters for different size cigars. Looked very nice but they were out of stock. I forgot to bookmark it and so i will have to search for it again.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post
I have the Xikar VX V-cutter and it's my go-to for just about any cigar, if you like a V-cut I highly recommend it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
Yup, another vote for the Xikar. It's pretty much all I use.

I even used it last night on a LGC Figurado Reserva
Another vote for the V-Cut. Bought mine a couple of months ago and use it for pretty much everything now. Love it.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
How is that Xikar? Is it cheap plastic or no? I've been skeptical about getting one because they look kinda cheap but command around $40-$45 bucks.
They're very solid with the aluminum and polycarbonate bodies. The Wolf cutter on the other hand, which is where the reverse angle V-cutter blades originated, is plastic and feels flimsy.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
They're very solid with the aluminum and polycarbonate bodies. The Wolf cutter on the other hand, which is where the reverse angle V-cutter blades originated, is plastic and feels flimsy.
Goes to show you looks can be deceiving.....I'll definitely look into one of those.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Goes to show you looks can be deceiving.....I'll definitely look into one of those.

Thanks
No doubt. It definitely does look "plasticy" in the photos.

There is some blade flex when the unit is fully open, but that's unavoidable as the blade itself is very thin - it's basically a shaped razor blade (not quite as thick as a drywall blade).

The lifetime warranty on the blade makes it worthwhile, as it will probably dull with heavy use. They even planned for it, the cutter can be easily disassembled to change the blade - it has allen screws underneath to open it up.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #13
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

That's what my thoughts were, I figured plastic.

I've never V-cut a cigar though so I figure I should give it a shot.

That is true as well, could always send it in to Xikar for repairs.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #14
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

To me, the V-cut doesn't deliver much differently than a punch. Maybe a slight concentration, definite reduction in flow. Doesn't tar up or get soggy as easily as a punched cigar though.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

I was debating on getting one myself. Might do an interest thread for a GB on these.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote