Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 09-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Jim Calhoun Retires

Hall Of Fame (and some would contend Hall Of Shame) coach of U Conn, winner of 3 National Championships, survivor of 3 fights with cancer (and at least that many with the NCAA), Jim Calhoun announced his retirement today. Typically, he did this in a controversial manner, as he waited until the fall semester had already begun, and thus insuring the University had no recourse but to name his hand-picked replacement, former Husky Kevin Ollie, to the job so suddenly vacated.

People in Storrs may mourn this passing, people elsewhere may rejoice, and we with some perspective shall await the judgement of history regarding the legacy of this conflicted, ambitious, and flawed man, who ultimately let his sense of integrity be compromised by his need for success.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jim Calhoun Retires

Boy, he sure didn't get any kind words on Pittsburgh sports radio today. I haven't followed college ball for years, so I don't know his story, but the Love is not forthcoming.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Boy, he sure didn't get any kind words on Pittsburgh sports radio today. I haven't followed college ball for years, so I don't know his story, but the Love is not forthcoming.

Do not think this vitriol is based upon the Huskies beating up on the Panthers for years now, brother, although it may be a factor. Not only did Calhoun compromise the integrity of the basketball program, and the academic standing, of U Conn in order to win a few games, he also had the personality of a rabid badger, and was as prickly as a hedgehog. If anybody made any comment or asked any question which put even the slightest criticism upon him, he went totally postal.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Both your comments are spot on, Thomas.

Knowing him and his ego, bet he even walked into a few living rooms and told parents, "I'll make sure your son gets an education." He didn't lie, he just didn't mean that he'd get a degree from the UConn....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Add....one of our local sports guys, was a longtime Connecticut resident(assume it is where he started his career?) and blasted Calhoun today...he's a UCLA guy if it matters...
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Thomas..sounds like you knew him personally???
Old 09-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
ß Typically, he did this in a controversial manner, as he waited until the fall semester had already begun, and thus insuring the University had no recourse but to name his hand-picked replacement, former Husky Kevin Ollie, to the job so suddenly vacated.
Same as Dean Smith did to ensure a cushion for Guthridge.
Posted via Mobile Device
Col. Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought Calhoun came off as a "class A asshole".
Old 09-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

One less cheater in college basketball.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz View Post
Same as Dean Smith did to ensure a cushion for Guthridge.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ehh, I don't see the comparison here, Jerry. Bill was a loooooong-time assistant for Dean, and it was understood from the get-go that his tenure as head coach for UNC was merely a short-term interim position while a search committee found a suitable replacement (which, unfortunately, turned out to be the failed homecoming of Matt Doherty) as a "reward" for many years of service sitting by Dean's side. In my eyes, there's a world of difference.

And this does not even consider the fact that Dean Smith announced his upcoming retirement right after the end of his last NCAA appearance (a loss to Arizona, if I recall correctly), and fully 6 months before the start of the next season . . . not the six weeks in Calhoun's case. But I totally understand why a Wolfpack fan would feel that way . . . they don't have the benefit of a good education.

P.S. - BTW, if George Blaney had been named to take over the reins from Calhoun, I'd not have as much of an objection . . . not that I have much of one anyway, as I really don't care WHAT UConn does. I merely thought, as do some "experts", that it was just one more indication of Calhoun's hubris.

Last edited by The Poet; 09-14-2012 at 02:09 PM.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #11
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Ehh, I don't see the comparison here, Jerry. ....
And this does not even consider the fact that Dean Smith announced his upcoming retirement right after the end of his last NCAA appearance (a loss to Arizona, if I recall correctly), and fully 6 months before the start of the next season . . . not the six weeks in Calhoun's case. But I totally understand why a Wolfpack fan would feel that way . . . they don't have the benefit of a good education.

Smith announced his retirement on October 9, 1997. He had said that if he ever felt he could not give his team the same enthusiasm he had given it for years, he would retire.[21] His announcement was a shock to the basketball community and fans, as he had given little warning that he was considering retirement. Smith had been the only coach many North Carolina fans had ever known. Bill Guthridge, his assistant for 30 years, succeeded him as head coach.

Quoted from wiki. Doesn't look like oct is sufficient time to form a search committe before the new season. Looks like he stuck them with bill whether they wanted him or not. Must be part of that Carolina family thing. But you are right; I don't really care. Seems they are doing a good job digging the hole themselves over in chapel hill. Perhaps though, they should consult an engineer from state seeing how big that thing is getting.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Last I heard, Jerry, the NCAA was looking at half of those top recruits Gottfried convinced to go the Raleigh, so were I you I'd concern myself more with that than your fantasies about crap in Chapel Hill. BTW, how's Sidney Lowe doing these days.

I shall contend to my dying day that the ONLY thing that salvaged Jimmy V's reputation was his tragic early passing from cancer. "Wiki" Chris Washburn, if you've forgotten what happened there those days, then go steal some aspirins from a drugstore.

Meanwhile, Jim Calhoun is still retired, just like Generalissamo Franco's still dead.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

RA

Quote:
Last I heard, Jerry, the NCAA was looking at half of those top recruits Gottfried convinced to go the Raleigh, so were I you I'd concern myself more with that than your fantasies about crap in Chapel Hill. BTW, how's Sidney Lowe doing these days.

I shall contend to my dying day that the ONLY thing that salvaged Jimmy V's reputation was his tragic early passing from cancer. "Wiki" Chris Washburn, if you've forgotten what happened there those days, then go steal some aspirins from a drugstore.

Meanwhile, Jim Calhoun is still retired, just like Generalissamo Franco's still dead.
Thomas, only thing I was comparing was how they both retired at the last minute to ensure their replacement. What you saw as a dick move by one was ok for the other. Calhoun may have more negative equity than dean, but you can't argue the similarity here. Though I did miscalculate how you Tarheels deify that man.

As for crap in chapel hill, I'm still being forced to pay Butch Davis' contract. Nice one. holden thorpe is gone, so maybe someone will finally have the guts to fire him now.

As for the straw men:
Upper room is good to go now.
State had a better team when they were out jacking stereos. Les Robinson kept them out of trouble and tourneys. Perhaps this is a good sign.
Jimmy v is remembered because he had cancer? I contend it is the courage that he faced his death with that made him a far greater man than his coaching.
I don't believe Cancer defines a life any more than Alzheimer's.

In case anyone missed it.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=57XRt...%3D57XRt9rN5a0

And finally, the local and national media have declared the State Carolina rivalry dead. (Funny how they leave out football in those discussions). So it must be true. Now I can move on to harassing Pitt fans. Are there any?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #14
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

You know you're getting old when a coach you remember starting out a UCONN when you lived in Ct retires after many decades!