Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-09-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Tips For Smoking Outside In The Winter?

Just Wanted To Know The Inmates Tips On Smoking Outside In The Winter. I Don't Have The Option Of Smoking In My House. ( Yes I'm PW'd after 37 Years Of Marriage.) I've Tried "Wetting" My Sticks Beforehand And That Helps To Prevent The Sticks from Cracking & Splitting, But With A Temperature & Humidity Drop From My Cigars Stored @ 65RH & 65* Inside To 37% RH & 50* Inside My Garage, They Still Split & Taste Brittle & Dry. Any Ideas?

Thanks, All!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:23 AM   #2
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tips For Smoking Outside In The Winter?

Had the same thing happen last weekend Greg while the temps were in the mid 40's.

Don't smoke good ones That's my only tip.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
havanajohn
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: John
Trading: (26)
Cohiba
havanajohn is on a distinguished road

Greg, I have had great sucess with 'spritzing' my CC's with distilled water, and smoking them in colder conditions than you describe. As for NC's, is your hygrometer accurate?
havanajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #4
pmwz
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
pmwz is on a distinguished road

cut a finger of a glove and use it as a cigar warmer.
pmwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:56 AM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleF View Post
Don't smoke good ones That's my only tip.
I gotta agree with Scott on this one...I have been smoking some "value" sticks out in the frigid cold and saving the others for herfs, Baileys, etc.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #6
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajohn View Post
Greg, I have had great sucess with 'spritzing' my CC's with distilled water, and smoking them in colder conditions than you describe. As for NC's, is your hygrometer accurate?
Just Recalibrated Hygrometer, It's Accurate. Thanks For Tips, All! Guess I Need To Wait For Spring To Smoke The Good Ones!
Old 01-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
cut a finger of a glove and use it as a cigar warmer.

I've had hit and miss luck with spritzing.....also picked up a Heater Buddy for the garage.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

During the winter I smoke outside a lot walking around the lakes. I guess I've never been too bothered by the splitting.
One idea I had if you are smoking in the garage, what about getting a little house humidifier and sitting near it while you smoke. Turn it on a little before you go out there that way why you are out there there's a little more moisture in the air.
Just a suggestion, I've never tested it but sounds good in my mind :-)
Old 01-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
During the winter I smoke outside a lot walking around the lakes. I guess I've never been too bothered by the splitting.
One idea I had if you are smoking in the garage, what about getting a little house humidifier and sitting near it while you smoke. Turn it on a little before you go out there that way why you are out there there's a little more moisture in the air.
Just a suggestion, I've never tested it but sounds good in my mind :-)
Sounds Like That Might Work, Todd! Thanks!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #10
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

i've experienced the same problems in the harsh Florida winters

good time to smoke the Gurkhas!

Old 01-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #11
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

50?! How about we rename this thread to "How do I smoke in t-shirt weather?"
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #12
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFPowersmoker320 View Post
i've experienced the same problems in the harsh Florida winters

good time to smoke the Gurkhas!

Sorry, Michael, But I Can't Go "That Far"!
Old 01-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #13
Mr Edmundo
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (15)
Montecristo
Mr Edmundo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
50?! How about we rename this thread to "How do I smoke in t-shirt weather?"
Posted via Mobile Device
My thoughts exactly.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

In bitter Joisey weather I smoke smaller or cheaper sticks - or both. One other thing I'd suggest: I've found that maduro wrappers are hardier and less fragile than others, and can withstand more abuse.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #15
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
In bitter Joisey weather I smoke smaller or cheaper sticks - or both. One other thing I'd suggest: I've found that maduro wrappers are hardier and less fragile than others, and can withstand more abuse.
I Smoke Mostly Maduro NC's, And They're Still Cracking. Not Unsmokeable, Just Aggravating. Guess The Best Thing Is To Smoke Cheaper Sticks 'til It Warms Up.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #16
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Just Wanted To Know The Inmates Tips On Smoking Outside In The Winter. I Don't Have The Option Of Smoking In My House. ( Yes I'm PW'd after 37 Years Of Marriage.) I've Tried "Wetting" My Sticks Beforehand And That Helps To Prevent The Sticks from Cracking & Splitting, But With A Temperature & Humidity Drop From My Cigars Stored @ 65RH & 65* Inside To 37% RH & 50* Inside My Garage, They Still Split & Taste Brittle & Dry. Any Ideas?

Thanks, All!

Buy a heater?
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #17
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Well, Mobile is a lot wetter than Jersey, so maybe your sticks are damper on the surface due to environmental reason. So if you are truly "mobile", move to Minnesota.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #18
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Buy a heater?
That's "With" The Heater In The Garage, Bro! I Think The Cracking Is Related More To Decreased Humidity More Than Anything.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #19
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Well, Mobile is a lot wetter than Jersey, so maybe your sticks are damper on the surface due to environmental reason. So if you are truly "mobile", move to Minnesota.
Thanks, But It's "Way" Too Cold Up There!
Old 01-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #20
acruce
Just killing Time

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road

Dress really warm......