Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #21
Cornrow_Wallis
<insert user title>

First Name: Rob
Trading: (8)
Cornrow_Wallis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dissappointing smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
She's a wonderful woman, She fully supports my hobby and even sits down and smokes with me. Unfortunately she likes Acid's, Makers Mark, and any other overpriced infused stick. I think I'll keep her anyway though.
You say that until she starts smoking all of your cigars, then you'll be wishing she would go back to the infused stuff.
Cornrow_Wallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #22
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornrow_Wallis View Post
You say that until she starts smoking all of your cigars, then you'll be wishing she would go back to the infused stuff.
Thing is, for the price of an Acid Kuba Kuba, I could replace my dried out Padron. For the price of that god awful MM thing she smoked yesterday, I could get a LP no9, or add a dollar and get 2 undercrowns. This is at my local shops of course, it is a bit different online, but still...
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #23
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
She's a wonderful woman, She fully supports my hobby and even sits down and smokes with me. Unfortunately she likes Acid's, Makers Mark, and any other overpriced infused stick. I think I'll keep her anyway though.
haha my Fiancee will sit by me unless the smell is too strong for her. She's a good Sport. The only unwritten rule is I gotta get her a blanket, since I sit in front of the open slider, and it's February in Massachusetts haha.
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #24
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

So I'm home for lunch and pulled out one of the Olivas, it is a bit dry, but not like that padron, the illusiones are also a bit dry, and neither of them has much smell. Maybe the Humidor is just a bit too dry and that in combination with a cigar seemingly known for dry harshness put me off. Either way I won't be buying from there again.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #25
LigaPrivadaT84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
Good point, I am actually too worried she will grab an HTF cigar I am saving.
Good excuse to buy another humidor?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #26
44stampede
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brett
Trading: (21)
Cohiba
44stampede will become famous soon enough

I just brought a buttload of these back to Asia including a Family Reserve and some '26 based on reviews. They better be good
Old 02-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #27
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

When you start buying boxes you'll see that in every box there's at least one or two that doesn't fit the profile of the others. Tobacco is an agricultural product. We are all willing to accept that if we buy a big bag of oranges and all of them are sugar sweet while one or two are bit sour that it was a good purchase. IMHO the same holds true for cigars. I have had some boxes that were all the same profile, but they are in the minority.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #28
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

That whole idea of the wife choosing and cutting a cigar... Hot!!!

Makes me think dirty thoughts! I think being blindfolded might enhance the experience!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #29
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

If that place is selling Padron Anni's, along with Illusione's they aren't your average supplier IMO. That leads me more to come down on the side of you just don't like Padron Anni's. And that's not a bad thing. Just think of all the dough you can save.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #30
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
If that place is selling Padron Anni's, along with Illusione's they aren't your average supplier IMO. That leads me more to come down on the side of you just don't like Padron Anni's. And that's not a bad thing. Just think of all the dough you can save.
It is a high end Grocery store, they sell french cheese and Swiss chocolate and whatnot. If it was an actual shop I'd go in and say something. But all I'm likely to get if I do is a blank stare, like I got when I was buying them.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #31
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

It wasn't the Padron. The others are way drier than I thought, wrapper is coming off of one of the illusiones and only thing holding it together is the band, didn't notice until I went to smoke it. Now I have to go buy another Padron...
Old 02-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #32
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It wasn't the Padron. The others are way drier than I thought, wrapper is coming off of one of the illusiones and only thing holding it together is the band, didn't notice until I went to smoke it. Now I have to go buy another Padron...
No you don't, Isaiah. PM me your address, I'll help you out.
One of my greatest joys are PAM maduros, they're incredibly good and incredibly consistant. I'll see to it that you get a good one (or two).
Then if you don't like them, you'll know you just don't like them.
I think I might just have an Illusione maduro, too.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #33
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

First Name: Chris
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
Sonic04GT will become famous soon enough

I like the idea of going at it with no expectations. Going to have to give that a shot.
Sonic04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #34
Fia
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jon
Fia is on a distinguished road

Dont discount the pardron anni yet. It wasnt well cared for. I know exactly the store you are talking about. Honestly I wouldnt buy from there for a multitude of reasons, not properly humidified, tobacco beetles I have seen on 3 different occasions, and she doesnt smoke cigars so she cant tell you anything about them. For Padron Annis check out R. Fields or Tobaccos of Hawaii.

Have you been to swam in Aiea? They have a nice selection of quality, boutique brands and the owner Jill knows what they all taste like. Not to mention she is an expert in Wine and Scotch!
Fia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #35
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Isaiah took me up on my offer. I'll be getting his newsletter out to him asap.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #36
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

I agree with the others here. Padron 26/64s are may absolute favorites. If you get another that is for sure in good shape and you still do not like it, then so be it. Different strokes for different folks. I, for one, do not see what the fanfare about Opus X is. I have a had a couple over the years and have never been impressed. However, I have never had one that was aged. maybe thats the problem.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #37
darkninja67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Well even if the shop had them stored correctly, keep in mind. Many of us around here have had some 93 and 94 rated gems that we just didn't care for in the least bit.

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. Just because the Padron Anni's are so highly reviewed, doesn't mean it's going to be your favorite as well.

Personally, one of the most solid sticks I have ever smoked, and I have had 6-7 of them now is a $0.80 cheapo handmade. It's not complex but good flavor and to me, that's good enough.
pretty much this.

the Padron Annis are some if not the most consistent cigars made anywhere.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #38
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fia View Post
Dont discount the pardron anni yet. It wasnt well cared for. I know exactly the store you are talking about. Honestly I wouldnt buy from there for a multitude of reasons, not properly humidified, tobacco beetles I have seen on 3 different occasions, and she doesnt smoke cigars so she cant tell you anything about them. For Padron Annis check out R. Fields or Tobaccos of Hawaii.

Have you been to swam in Aiea? They have a nice selection of quality, boutique brands and the owner Jill knows what they all taste like. Not to mention she is an expert in Wine and Scotch!
I love SWAM, well I did before they stopped carrying my 7-20-4s. Besides Tamura's it is the closest shop to me. The wife and I are taking a little road trip around the Island today and I'm planning on stopping in there for one of these I saw them last week but the artwork scared me off.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #39
Fia
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jon
Fia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I love SWAM, well I did before they stopped carrying my 7-20-4s. Besides Tamura's it is the closest shop to me. The wife and I are taking a little road trip around the Island today and I'm planning on stopping in there for one of these I saw them last week but the artwork scared me off.
7-20-4 s are a great smoke. I could be wrong but it just may be that they were selling slow for them or maybe they were just out of stock and waiting to put in another order. Did you ask them? As for the Zulu Zulu make sure to try both blends. My fav being the Connecticut which is George Ricos daily cigar but I know others that like the Habano better.

Hmmm trip around the island...breakfast at Cinnamons or Boots and Kimos in Kailua, garlic shrimp in Kahuku for lunch, shave ice in Waikele (better than Matsumotos in Haleiwa), fried chicken at Taniokas in Waipahu for snack sounds about right!!!
Fia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #40
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

They said they stopped carrying them because they were a tough sell R. Fields has some in sampler packs, but no singles or boxes. Guess I'll have to get them online with next paycheck's cigar allotment . They were my absolute favorite until I picked up an Undercrown from Tamuras.