Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-21-2010, 12:42 AM   #1
sammyboy405
Cigar & Beer Geek

First Name: Sammy
Trading: (3)
Cohiba AirForce (Served With Honor)
sammyboy405 is on a distinguished road
Default Opus X ... Am I Missing Something

So I must be missing something. Alot of people told me Tons of good things about Opus X. So I bought 2 of them. I Smoked one tonight and I just wasn't happy with it. It was very tight. Hard to get any draw on it. And it smells wonderful but lacks in flavor.

other than the wonderful Aroma it has, I did enjoy the fact that it wasn't a very smoky cigar. Its one of the few cigars Ive smoked that didnt have alot of idle smoke to them.

Im not sure if its just me or not, but It didnt live of to the hype. From what I understand I did get a good deal on them price wise. 11.40 Each.

So am I missing something here or did I just get a bad rolled cigar?
Old 11-21-2010, 12:54 AM   #2
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Opus X ... Am I Missing Something

Yes you got a good deal, most people say Opus X need 6 months - a year minimum rest before they smoke good/right.

I would suggest letting them rest or buying aged Opus X.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:11 AM   #3
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Sounds like it was plugged.

Remember, a cigar is only as good as you want it to be. If you imagine the Opus X to be the most memorable experience of your life, you will probably end up disappointed.

I would try another, and don't expect too much from it. A cigar is just a cigar.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:34 AM   #4
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

I've smoked a few Opus X's and don't see why people think they are so amazing. If I'm going smoke an AF I'd much rather have an Anejo.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:37 AM   #5
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Yes you got a good deal, most people say Opus X need 6 months - a year minimum rest before they smoke good/right.

I would suggest letting them rest or buying aged Opus X.
Age makes all the difference in the world with Opus. Had some wonderful aged ones but fresh are not for me.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:05 AM   #6
brigey57
Smoke me if you can...

First Name: Bri
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
brigey57 is on a distinguished road

I smoked one several years ago and loved it but like Derrick said it's all in the frame of mind and anticipation of the smoke. I bought it and it was a very good smoke but was it worth the money I paid for it, I don't think so. For a few bucks less I think I have enjoyed better smokes. Give it some time, let the stick age, and try it again. If you still feel that the stick wasn't that good then maybe you need to avoid it in the future and find one that you enjoy more. JMHO
Old 11-21-2010, 06:09 AM   #7
Shemp Howard
Who's Your Baghdadi?

First Name: Rick
Trading: (0)
Cohiba MarineCorps
Shemp Howard is on a distinguished road

IMO Opus X's are a status smoke. I have had a few and like most people think they might be a bit over priced. I won't go out of my way to buy one though. I perfer the Hemingways and Ashtons.
Shemp Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:31 AM   #8
quantim0
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (20)
quantim0 will become famous soon enough

I have a number of 06-07 Opus and a few new ones. The new ones don't even taste like the same stick as a new one. The new ones are too strong to let the complexity shine, with age that strength fades and you have a cigar that is tought to find a comparison to.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:34 AM   #9
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I have only smoked one and am told it's hard to make a judgement on that, but I wasn't all that impressed either. I had a freind tell me a week or two ago that he smoked 17 of them before they were great to him.
G G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:38 AM   #10
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

I know what you're thinking. I do. I smoked probably 15 or so over a 2.5 year time frame and was just never "WOWED". They didn't do anything for me.

Then one hit me just right and I've been a huge fan ever since.....

Now, I love 'em!

Hang in there, smoke a few more, enjoy the experience.......
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:58 AM   #11
AshesToAshes

Been smoking Opus Cigars for 10 years and they are a great cigar. People get confused about when to smoke these and as one of the brothers suggested if they aren't aged at least a year you won't find them to be as good as you think. I smoke most of mine at the 18 month mark and they are great. Not everyone is going to love this cigar because not everybody has the same taste. That just means more for me.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #12
nick2021
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (17)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
nick2021 is on a distinguished road

I also heard age does wonders for OpusX...had the same situation as you experienced with one ROTT...was disappointed.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #13
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Been smoking Opus X since they came out. Many of them are just too oily and burn really slow. I always thought since the release they were novelty. Who cares if it is a DR wrapper, big deal.

Don Carlos still "the" cigar line from Fuente which was their flagship before the Opus X was released.

All that bashing aside, when an Opus X is good, it can compete with the best cigars in the world for sure.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #14
SSDVC
Life is short, Relax

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
SSDVC is on a distinguished road

Whew !!!!!!!! I thought is was just me ! I had three and I was not impressed either. I have had better smokes for a lot less. And yes, one I know for sure was aged for about two years. I'm not a prolific smoker or connoisseur and I can't really put my finger on it, but I think the stick just lacked some flavor or something.
SSDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #15
tenbaseg
Saying no to daily deals!

First Name: Garrett
Trading: (40)
tenbaseg will become famous soon enoughtenbaseg will become famous soon enough

IMO A plugged cigar has no chance of being good.
tenbaseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #16
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

I was a non-believer until I was bombed with some aged (1-2 year-old) smokes. The aged xXx was one of the best cigars I ever smoked CC or otherwise.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #17
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
I've smoked a few Opus X's and don't see why people think they are so amazing. If I'm going smoke an AF I'd much rather have an Anejo.
Totally agree with you Doug!!!
Old 11-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #18
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

I hate these fresh but with 2 or 3 years of age they are fantastic. Some guys like them fresh but I think they need the down time to really reach their potential.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #19
alwayslit
Welcome to the madness

First Name: Jim
Trading: (14)
RA
alwayslit is on a distinguished road

Opus need rest ROTT....imho. They have a tendency to be wet. If you dry box them for 48 to 72 hours your experience should be a lot better. If you have the time they get better with age.
alwayslit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #20
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
Age makes all the difference in the world with Opus. Had some wonderful aged ones but fresh are not for me.