Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 11-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #1221
never_enough
Never Satisfied

First Name: Robert
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Good pick up Mickey. One thing I miss about living in KY is easy and cheap access to all the bourbon you could ever want!
Old 11-26-2012, 02:22 AM   #1222
Frodo
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (4)
Frodo is on a distinguished road

A friend brought back a bottle of Jefferson's Presidential Reserve 18yr for me from his excursions in the US. Am very curious about this - never tried S-W juice before.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:29 AM   #1223
Robulous78

[/quote]

Man I wish we had stores like this in NC... instead we have ABC's that have, at best, 1/4 the selection...
Old 11-26-2012, 03:29 AM   #1224
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

Stopped at the local liquor store to pick up some stuff for the holidays and they were doing a tasting of Ridgemont Reserve 1792 Barrel Select. According to the sales girl the owner had gone to the distillery and hand selected barrels to be bottled just for the store. It was on special for $25 . I couldnt pass that up. Its very spicy and heavy on the rye which i like . i will be getting some more for sure.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #1225
never_enough
Never Satisfied

HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
Man I wish we had stores like this in NC... instead we have ABC's that have, at best, 1/4 the selection...[/quote]

Thats my old stomping ground. Lived about a 2 minute walk from that Liquor Barn.

Best liquor store I have ever been to. Tons of beer, liquor, wine, bakery, deli, party supplies etc etc etc
Old 12-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #1226
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Rob, Liquor Barn is one of my accounts, good people there.

On another note, just picked up the below bottles. The Four Roses LE 2012 was Whiskey Advocate's #1 bourbon of the year, and rightfully so, such an amazing bottling. The Pappy 23 will be opened when my son is born in January.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pappy.jpg (95.8 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg bourbon.jpg (94.8 KB, 460 views)
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #1227
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Saw some of the LE when I went home over Thanksgiving, guess I'll have to grab a bottle when I go up for Christmas in a few weeks. They had some Pappy 23 as well, but I a) don't have the money to blow on it and b) want to wait till around graduation time to try and grab a bottle so I'm not tempted to open it before hand.

I've never had the Old Weller. How is it?
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #1228
never_enough
Never Satisfied

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
Rob, Liquor Barn is one of my accounts, good people there.

On another note, just picked up the below bottles. The Four Roses LE 2012 was Whiskey Advocate's #1 bourbon of the year, and rightfully so, such an amazing bottling. The Pappy 23 will be opened when my son is born in January.
Thats awesome. Are you a liquor or cigar distributor?

Liquor Barn, especially that one has some great people working there. Always nice and knowledgeable. I truly miss the place. Now Liquor Barn seems to have taken over all the liquor stores in town pretty much. Call the Liquor Barn Expresses.

I have a couple of friends that are brothers. One buys all the Pappy, the other went for the weller. One likes just the Pappy, the other likes both. I really liked the Pappy, but didn't try the weller.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:30 AM   #1229
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by never_enough View Post
Thats awesome. Are you a liquor or cigar distributor?

Liquor Barn, especially that one has some great people working there. Always nice and knowledgeable. I truly miss the place. Now Liquor Barn seems to have taken over all the liquor stores in town pretty much. Call the Liquor Barn Expresses.

I have a couple of friends that are brothers. One buys all the Pappy, the other went for the weller. One likes just the Pappy, the other likes both. I really liked the Pappy, but didn't try the weller.
I'm in the cigar business.

Actually heading down to Lexington today to see the LB stores.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #1230
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

This is NOT a bourbon, but it is a spirit I read about last year, and have finally found, and laid a bottle into my supply cupboard! I'm interested in seeing how this taste, since I am a root beer fan, and was instantly intrigued by this recreation of the original root liqueur from early American history! I don't think I'll be opening this until around New Years, but will post my thoughts when I do pop the cork!

This Bourbon grabbed my attention for several reasons:

First, I've never had it!!
Second, It's small batch, and any small batch bourbon has my attention,
Third, It's gotta be family, somewhere in the past (I'm half Fitzgerald!) as almost all the southern Fitzgeralds are from the three brothers that came over from Ireland in the 1700's!

This one will have to wait for some time to be opened, however. I have 5 more small batch whiskeys I will pick up in 3 weeks, and at least one is already promised to be opened first!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #1231
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

These are waiting for me to retrive (Have to ship them into a different state, then pick them up later):

Then I have this pair also waiting:

This is their first year to produce the Rye, and my son tells me my bottle is Bottle 67 of Batch #1. Almost don't want to open that bottle. Should have gotten two!!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #1232
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

These showed up at my door yesterday

Old 12-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #1233
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Is this still the bourbon thread?

I recently have been enjoying a bottle of Black Maple Hill, really good imho. Also (while not a bourbon) I opened a bottle of High West Rendevous Rye which has been outstanding. But the highlight of my week last week was going to Matt-N-GA's and sampling Old Van Winkle 10, High West Double Rye, Buffalo Trace Single Oak, Woodford Reserve Master's 4 Wood, and Eagle Rare 17. They were all good but the ER 17 stood out above the others.

I see Larceny mentioned/pictured above. I tried it at a bar recently and thought it was pretty darn good. My Dad called tonight and said the store by him is having an introductory sale at $9.99 for the 750ml and $19.99 for the 1.75, I am going up there tomorrow to stock up
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #1234
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
This is NOT a bourbon, but it is a spirit I read about last year, and have finally found, and laid a bottle into my supply cupboard! I'm interested in seeing how this taste, since I am a root beer fan, and was instantly intrigued by this recreation of the original root liqueur from early American history! I don't think I'll be opening this until around New Years, but will post my thoughts when I do pop the cork!

Trying like hell to find this.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #1235
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Trying like hell to find this.
You might try here: http://www.caskstore.com/root-liqueur.html

hmmmmm Scratch that. No shipping to Texas. The source I got mine from is out-of-stock, sorry!

Last edited by SvilleKid; 12-06-2012 at 09:56 PM.
SvilleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #1236
Mikey202
Tight Lines !!!!

First Name: Mike
SLR Army (Served With Honor)
Mikey202 will become famous soon enoughMikey202 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
Is this still the bourbon thread?

I recently have been enjoying a bottle of Black Maple Hill, really good imho. Also (while not a bourbon) I opened a bottle of High West Rendevous Rye which has been outstanding. But the highlight of my week last week was going to Matt-N-GA's and sampling Old Van Winkle 10, High West Double Rye, Buffalo Trace Single Oak, Woodford Reserve Master's 4 Wood, and Eagle Rare 17. They were all good but the ER 17 stood out above the others.

I see Larceny mentioned/pictured above. I tried it at a bar recently and thought it was pretty darn good. My Dad called tonight and said the store by him is having an introductory sale at $9.99 for the 750ml and $19.99 for the 1.75, I am going up there tomorrow to stock up
I'm drinking Black Maple Hill right now, it is my favorite sippin' bourbon.
That Larceny Bourbon has a mail -in rebate.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #1237
Robulous78

Hello Bourbon Thread...

Been a fan of Maker's Mark for a few years now as an affordable "Whiskey"... recently I was corrected, Makers Mark is, in fact, a Bourbon...

So I thought I would drop by and ask you fellas what other affordable Bourbons are worth a try and readily available? What bourbons did you guys start out on?

Thanks for the info,

Rob
Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #1238
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Hello Bourbon Thread...

Been a fan of Maker's Mark for a few years now as an affordable "Whiskey"... recently I was corrected, Makers Mark is, in fact, a Bourbon...

So I thought I would drop by and ask you fellas what other affordable Bourbons are worth a try and readily available? What bourbons did you guys start out on?

Thanks for the info,

Rob
Define affordable!

I've brought bottles from $20, to over $100. I consider a good bourbon at less than $50 to be affordable!

Woodford Reserve. Eagle Rare ($25+/-). Old Forester's Birthday Bourbon. Blanton's. Knob Creek. Certain Four Roses can be found under $50. Buffalo Trace is worth a try, and is usually under $25. For the price, Evan William's Single Barrel will knock your socks off! (also usuallu under $25).

Of these, Blanton's is probably the most expensive, but can usually be had for around $40-45. Happy shopping!
Old 12-07-2012, 03:01 AM   #1239
Frodo
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (4)
Frodo is on a distinguished road

Whisky Advocate declared the Barton Very Old and the Evan Williams Black Label to be the best bourbon buys for the money last year if that helps. Sounds like they'd be a step down from Makers Mark in terms of quality though.

Wellers is also a wheated bourbon (like Maker's Mark) and that may be they way to go, but I do like SKs idea of Evan William Single Barrel as well...
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #1240
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Hello Bourbon Thread...

Thanks for the info,

Rob
Woodford and Four Roses Small Batch are my go tos as the stereotypical poor college student(working in a cigar shop barely covers my cigar hobby ), both great bang for the buck(~$35 and ~$30 locally). If you cut yours with any water, try the Four Roses Single Barrel, which can be found for ~$38 in the right place.

The nice thing about bourbon is you can grab a very good bottle for under $50, as opposed to single malt scotches, which start at that.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote