Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 07-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cigar Caddy 30 Count vs X-Treme 30 Count

Fellow inmates...need some help with those that are using these products now. I purchased an X-Treme 30 count travel humidor from "cheaphumidors" and RECEIVED a Cigar Caddy 30 count. Of course I called and wanted an explanation on why I received a different item from what I ordered (hell, even my sales receipt shows that I ordered an X-Treme and not the Cigar Caddy). And of course they couldn't explain anything (but that is for a different posting).

The X-Treme comes with a humidifcation device that you add distilled water to every so often, whereas the Cigar Caddy uses Boveda with no humidification device. Of course the Boveda needs to be replaced every 2-3 months, whereas the other, just drop some distilled water in and roll. Is one better than the other? I also purchased a "tube" with the gel in it (add distilled water every now and again) to place in it. Will this help?

Which is better and maintaining the RH%, the Boveda or the humidification device? If you were to choose a travel humi, which would you prefer? Which works better from personal experience? I want to hear those comments. Thanks!!!!
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
colimo
friend of Brother Maynard

First Name: doug
Trading: (41)
PL
colimo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cigar Caddy 30 Count vs X-Treme 30 Count

i have the cigar caddy version and with the tube in it....it seems to work fine for me...you can always cut a hole in the top foam to add a similar humi device as in the extreme should you choose
Old 07-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

I'm pretty sure they are almost exactly the same except for the difference you mentioned and the branding.

AFA the humi goes I have a very small amount of beads in my 16 and 24 ct Pelicans but it is really only an issue on longer trips. For a day trip herf I don't even worry about it. When I went away for a week even with opening and closing it a lot, leaving it open for several mintues at a time it stayed pretty constant at 65%.

The beads are in modifed "credo" style pucks that I cut holes in the foam to fit. I can snap some pics when i get home if you want.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

I should add that I do like the style you have a lot. My pelicans are a little top heavy and tend to tip over but those don't seem to do that.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

I have both, and they are the same thing. I dont use humidification in mine anyway because they seal so well, but the floral foam wouldnt be my first choice.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
I have both, and they are the same thing. I dont use humidification in mine anyway because they seal so well, but the floral foam wouldnt be my first choice.
Which foam do you prefer?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

I have the Cigar caddy 30 and use the Boveda... works great. I would not travel with the gel because is can still flow, a little mesh bag with beads would be better. As far as the actual boxes are concerned, all the same thing.

also, I think the bovedo solution is better here. Because of how airtight these are, the boveda will last more then the given 2 months, mine is at 6 months going strong (they go hard when they are done). I dont like to add moisture to these as they are airtight and humidity can rocket fast. The Boveda pack takes care of all this and again, if you leave the pack in that airtight box, it will outlast the reported shelf-life.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Which foam do you prefer?
by floral foam I was referring to the little humidification puck that came with the unit. Use the boveda packet, or get yourself a small bag of Shilala beads (he makes really small ones) Just PM Shilala (Scott)

Like I said however, unless youre going away for a very extended period, you probably dont need humidification. The things seal better than tupperware. Just keep the unit closed and locked when youre done pulling cigars out.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

the x-treme is made by xikar and the cigar caddy is made by otterbox as far as I know. I have 2 otters and a xikar, never had a problem with the otters, the xikar had a bad seal, I emailed them they sent me a new seal and I'm still not sure if it works properly or not. I'd personally go with the cigar caddy.

also I take the foam out and run beads. works like a charm
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

I have a 30 ct. Cigar Caddy , a 10 ct Cigar Caddy and a 15 ct. Extreme case . Both small ones have the floral foam and work fine . The 30 ct has the Boveda pack in it since I bought a couple months ago and it is still in good shape but I almost never open it so that is a testament to how well it seals up . Looking at construction of the 3 cases , I would say the Cigar Caddies look a good bit more rugged with better and tighter fitting latches . Does the extreme 30 ct. case come with a vent releaselike the Cigar Caddy ?(little knob you un-screw to release pressure) Unless it's damaged I would keep the Cigar Caddy . Good luck with your quest for an answer from Cheap Humidors . Keep us posted on your resolution please .
Old 07-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #11
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Thanks for all the great info guys...looks like I am gonna keep this. Here is the response I got this evening from cheaphumidors:

"Hi Michael

Thanks for writing. You are correct, this should be the Madeleine brand. We recently switched to the Cigar Caddy as they were holding up better and I apologize, it looks like we didn’t change the picture/description. I am happy to send a label for the free return of that item for a full refund if you wish."

At least they offered to pay for shipping.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:40 PM   #12
JohnnyKay5
Armed Forces Tumbleweed

Trading: (22)
Partagas Army (Active)
JohnnyKay5 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyKay5 has a spectacular aura about

time to get me one. My cigar caddy 15 count's seal busted on the way to Indy.

HIGH FIVE!
JohnnyKay5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:43 PM   #13
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyKay5 View Post
time to get me one. My cigar caddy 15 count's seal busted on the way to Indy.
Was it from the air pressure of the flight? The 30 count has the air pressure valve.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:24 AM   #14
JohnnyKay5
Armed Forces Tumbleweed

Partagas Army (Active)

Quote:
Was it from the air pressure of the flight? The 30 count has the air pressure valve.
you got it!

HIGH FIVE!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:27 AM   #15
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Did your sticks survive?
Old 07-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #16
JohnnyKay5
Armed Forces Tumbleweed

Partagas Army (Active)

Quote:
Did your sticks survive?
yup, no problem with them.. just a tightly sealed box when i arrived

HIGH FIVE!
Old 07-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #17
RonC

the 30 stick Cigar caddy and the 30 stick Xikar are the same exact case that is manufactured by S3 Case (Extreme). The difference is in the humidification. I prefer the Boveda in an airtight case.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #18
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

I have decided to keep the Cigar Caddy...thanks for all your assistance fellow BOTLs. Mods, you can lock this up.