Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-26-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
rhdad42

Default Baseball Glove Relacing

This year for Christmas, Santa brought my 8-year old son his first catcher's mitt -- a Rawlings SLCM. It's small enough where he can start to squeeze it, and big enough where he can use it for a few years. He was excited because now Rawlings will let you engrave your name on the mitt, and his came with his name. As we're getting ready for his season, I'm teaching him about oiling the mitt and making a nice pocket. While we're doing it, I'm showing him mine.

I was a catcher for 15 years, and still have my last Rawlings RL-10 Johnny Bench model, which dates back to 1985. I try to oil it every year even though I haven't played hardball since the early 90's. I help coach my son's team, so it does get used. The thing is, the laces and webbing are in pretty bad shape. It's never been relaced, but I think now it's time. I was wondering if any of you out there have anyone you'd recommend to restore this beauty. There are tons of them if I Google, but I'd prefer to go to someone recommended.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
SD Beerman
Have My Own Room

Trading: (3)
Cohiba
SD Beerman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Baseball Glove Relacing

I'm in Cal, but a lot of sporting good stores sell relacing kits now. If the leather is messed up you might have a tougher time fixing it yourself. I've coached for quite a while and laced a lot of gloves for the kids. Once you get your glove right, no new glove can compare.
SD Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
rhdad42

I've done repair jobs on gloves, both mine and kids I've coached, but never a full relacing. I was going to go all out and treat old faithful like it should be treated...
Old 01-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

I remember that when I was a little kid, 40+ years ago, my dad told me that cobblers relaced gloves. I guess there aren't many cobblers left these days, maybe you will get lucky and find one that does this.
Good luck.
Smokin Gator is a leather craftsman, maybe he can turn you on to someone who does this sort of work.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

I have used Northeast Athletics (www.northeast-athletics.com) to recondition hockey equipment and catchers gear when I was involved in youth sports. Very good quality work at what seemed to be a fair price.
taltos is offline   Reply With Quote