Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-26-2022, 04:51 PM   #1
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Dominican Puros

I have been smoking cigars for approx 20 years. I find my self preferring medium or medium plus strength. I used to LOVE the pepper bombs. After covid, my tastes have changed such that I really try to avoid the heavy pepper.

Caldwell King is Dead has become a favorite . What other Dominican Puros are you folks liking?
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:00 PM   #2
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dominican Puros

The only Ashton I have experience with are the VSGs, but they are full-bodied. Yet I presume that much of their "regular" line would suit your new tastes well.
Old 11-27-2022, 06:10 AM   #3
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

My favorites would be Caldwell, Fuente, and AVO.
Old 11-27-2022, 09:39 AM   #4
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Clarification: I’m really looking for boutique/small brand stuff.
Old 11-27-2022, 01:15 PM   #5
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

It's been quite a while since I regularly smoked Dominicans. Oddly enough though, the other day I remembered the Fuente Anejos should be released soon. I'm seriously thinking about hunting some down when they are.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:22 PM   #6
Axeman
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Lance
Trading: (0)
Axeman will become famous soon enough

I love the E.P. Carillo. In the past the Davidoff have been good. Everything has changed recently.
Axeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 06:58 AM   #7
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
It's been quite a while since I regularly smoked Dominicans. Oddly enough though, the other day I remembered the Fuente Anejos should be released soon. I'm seriously thinking about hunting some down when they are.
Get ready for sticker shock. I used to buy a box of sharks every year. They used to be 350-450 a box. Looks like they are going to be in the 600-800 range......no thanks.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:37 AM   #8
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Chogui is a domican puro that flies under the radar. Was off the market for awhile but i've seen pack at small batch not too long ago. The davidoff dominicanas were very, very good.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:40 AM   #9
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
Chogui is a domican puro that flies under the radar. Was off the market for awhile but i've seen pack at small batch not too long ago. The davidoff dominicanas were very, very good.
Still have ONE of those Original Chogui Dos 77s
Old 11-28-2022, 01:02 PM   #10
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Get ready for sticker shock. I used to buy a box of sharks every year. They used to be 350-450 a box. Looks like they are going to be in the 600-800 range......no thanks.
Wow!
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 03:32 AM   #11
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

https://www.tampasweethearts.com/

This shop is located in Ybor City and is owned by the Fuentes
Old 11-29-2022, 06:45 PM   #12
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I think it is interesting to discuss Dominican Puros - Dominican cigars made with only Dominican tobacco in filler, binder, and wrapper.

It has made me sad, but the best one I have ever had was the La Flor Dominicana Litto Gomez Diez line. Their Small Batch line is good as well, but the LGD line was superb. When it was the only one out there besides Opus, I used to say, "LGD is what Opus X aspires to be!"

I am not truly sure, but I do not know any other truly "Dominican Puro" cigars than...
AF Opux X
LFD - LGD & Small Batch
Caldwell The King is Dead
Ashton ESG
Avo 85th Anniversary (but no more)

So, are there even any other Dominican Puros out there?

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Ashton are Dominicans,
Old 12-01-2022, 09:57 AM   #13
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I think it is interesting to discuss Dominican Puros - Dominican cigars made with only Dominican tobacco in filler, binder, and wrapper.

It has made me sad, but the best one I have ever had was the La Flor Dominicana Litto Gomez Diez line. Their Small Batch line is good as well, but the LGD line was superb. When it was the only one out there besides Opus, I used to say, "LGD is what Opus X aspires to be!"

I am not truly sure, but I do not know any other truly "Dominican Puro" cigars than...
AF Opux X
LFD - LGD & Small Batch
Ashton ESG

Ashton are Dominicans,
Davidoff has made two, the special 53 and dominicana. La Aurora has the 100 anos line. The non cuban cohibas have a dominican puro in the roster. Chogui is back. Aren't many but a few floating out there.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:05 AM   #14
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Quote:

AF Opux X
LFD - LGD & Small Batch
Ashton ESG

Ashton are Dominicans,

Those LG Small Batch were ripping good, but V V Strong for Dominican. To me, the Caldwell is the benchmark and similar to what I am looking for.

I am going to DR in January and will be on the lookout for local rolls.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:10 PM   #15
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
Davidoff has made two, the special 53 and dominicana. La Aurora has the 100 anos line. The non cuban cohibas have a dominican puro in the roster. Chogui is back. Aren't many but a few floating out there.
I do not have Davidoff cigars normally available where I am - and when I have found them, their pricing is normally very prohibitive...but maybe I will have to look for them.
From my research, the Davidoff Dominicana is not a Dominican puro for the binder is Ecuadorian. Am I incorrect?

As for the La Aurora, I guess I heard something like that, but I had passed on La Aurora as a line I was not 100% pleased with after a couple disappointing experiences. So, I may have to find some.

Chogui are out of my price range, unless something has changed.

Quote:
Those LG Small Batch were ripping good, but V V Strong for Dominican. To me, the Caldwell is the benchmark and similar to what I am looking for.

I am going to DR in January and will be on the lookout for local rolls.
I guess i will need to try the Caldwells again. I had a couple of the The King Is Dead, and have the remnant of a box of Manzanitas in my coolerdor. Now that I know they are a Dominican puro, I will have to go and retry them. I know I like them, and they were a very unique flavor to me, but it never struck me that their pedigree was that.

Old 12-02-2022, 09:39 AM   #16
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Quote:
I do not have Davidoff cigars normally available where I am - and when I have found them, their pricing is normally very prohibitive...but maybe I will have to look for them.
From my research, the Davidoff Dominicana is not a Dominican puro for the binder is Ecuadorian. Am I incorrect?

As for the La Aurora, I guess I heard something like that, but I had passed on La Aurora as a line I was not 100% pleased with after a couple disappointing experiences. So, I may have to find some.

Chogui are out of my price range, unless something has changed.

I guess i will need to try the Caldwells again. I had a couple of the The King Is Dead, and have the remnant of a box of Manzanitas in my coolerdor. Now that I know they are a Dominican puro, I will have to go and retry them. I know I like them, and they were a very unique flavor to me, but it never struck me that their pedigree was that.

Davidoff Puro Dominicana is a puro. it was a Ltd Edition around 2010. The regular Dominicana does have an Ecuador binder. There was also a Puro D'oro that was a Ltd.

Agree on La Aurora. Nothing they ever made did much for me.

Chogui is back and readily accessible for $10ish. I have a couple of the original issue left. Have not bought any of the new ones yet......mainly because I absolutely HATE the band. It looks like a 711 gas station cigar now. Even so, I will probably pick some up to try.

As for Caldwell...If you don't love them and want to offload them, let me know. Caldwell is hitting on all cylinders these days. I could very easily smoke 50% Caldwell and 50% Crowned Heads and never buy anything else. Robert Caldwell and Jon Huber are just so damn good at it. Both can be had for a fiver at cigarpage.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:09 AM   #17
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

AF Don Carlos series are one of the benchmark DR lines of cigars. Still reasonably priced all considered.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:01 PM   #18
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Davidoff Puro Dominicana is a puro. it was a Ltd Edition around 2010. The regular Dominicana does have an Ecuador binder. There was also a Puro D'oro that was a Ltd.

Agree on La Aurora. Nothing they ever made did much for me.

Chogui is back and readily accessible for $10ish. I have a couple of the original issue left. Have not bought any of the new ones yet......mainly because I absolutely HATE the band. It looks like a 711 gas station cigar now. Even so, I will probably pick some up to try.

As for Caldwell...If you don't love them and want to offload them, let me know. Caldwell is hitting on all cylinders these days. I could very easily smoke 50% Caldwell and 50% Crowned Heads and never buy anything else. Robert Caldwell and Jon Huber are just so damn good at it. Both can be had for a fiver at cigarpage.
Love every Cadwell I have had. Like I said, I have the rest of a box of The King is Dead in the Manzanita size, love them - just didn't realize it was a Dominican puro.

Have not had many Crowned Heads - maybe I should try a few of those to see if I like them, just not sure which lines to try first. I usually do it by looking to see which ones I can afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
AF Don Carlos series are one of the benchmark DR lines of cigars. Still reasonably priced all considered.
AF DCs are a great Dominican made smoke, love the Cameroon wrapper on them. But that's the point, while a great smoke, they are not a Dominican PURO. To be a PURO form a particular country, all tobacco in it - filler, binder, wrapper - must be grown in that country, in this case, the Dominican Repuplic.

Old 12-05-2022, 07:21 PM   #19
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Lol I got into smoking 10 years ago, I went to Fuentemania at Holts in downtown Philadelphia, box of sharks $200
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:18 AM   #20
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
Lol I got into smoking 10 years ago, I went to Fuentemania at Holts in downtown Philadelphia, box of sharks $200
First, "Fuentemania" is a great word. Wish it was possible for more retailers to feature that brand in specials, but the company doesn't seem interested.

It's been much longer, but I went to downtown Philadelphia Holt's once, and felt like their prices overall were very good for a brick and mortar. Pleasant surprise, actually. And, this was so long ago that when an employee told me I'd missed meeting Bill Cosby by five minutes, I was bummed out.

Pardon the interruption, I hadn't thought about Holt's in a long time.