Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-09-2015, 11:46 AM   #1
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Frigidaire

Okay, had a thread a couple weeks ago about my old vinotemp crapping out and how much it would cost to fix it. I have talked to Shilala about trying to buy his that he has for sale. It's a Frigidaire compressor fridge that he put some fans in and it works like a champ. The problem is the thousand miles between us and the shipping cost to get it here would be pretty steep.

I have a couple questions that Shilala or some of you can probably answer. I found exactly the same one that he used and it's supposed to only be less than a year old. The guy had it on craigslist for $125 or BO and I offered him $100 bucks and he agreed. Going to pick it up tomorrow hopefully. I already know that I have a pound and a half of HCM beads in the vino so I'm gonna get another pound since the Frigidaire is a little bigger than the vino.

I have four shelves for the vino. Two of them was built by Chasden and they are finished real nice and two of them I bought from Andrew and they are just regular cedar. I like them and was wondering if some of you that is smarter than me (Most) think that I could adapt them to fit the Frigidaire? I am hoping I can add a thin piece of board or something to make it work.

Here are the dimensions of the Frigidaire:
Depth (Excluding Handles) (Inches) 19.75
Depth (Less Door) (Inches) 19.75
Height to Top of Case (Inches) 34
Height to Top of Door Hinge (Inches) 34
Width (Inches) 19.5

and the vino:
•Dimensions: 18 1/4"W x 20 7/8"D x 29 1/4"H
this is without the door too.

It looks like the depth difference may be the real problem. I will have to measure the shelves I have and see how deep they are.
What say you?
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frigidaire

Greg, the width of all those fridges and winadors taper from front to back.
Why? I don't know. I figure it's to infuriate me and make it way harder to build them out.
Just see what your shelves do when you get the new fridge there.
You can make new ones out of luann or 1/4" birch ply and stiffen them by gluing or screwing some 3/4" material underneath them.

You could even sammich your old trays for stiffeners (assuming they're cedar and you want the cedar in there).
Old 03-09-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I'm not builder savvy though Scott. Sammich the old ones? You mean put something along the edge (the part that slides in the groove) to make it fit?
Old 03-09-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

No, I meant make shelves that fit out of another material.
Then, assuming your old ones are too small, glue (or screw) them to the underneath of the new shelves to stiffen the new ones.
The reason you stiffen them is because 1/4" ply doesn't hold much weight without warping.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #5
G G
BR549

Bolivar

I have puzzled over Shilala's reply all day and just now figured out why it didn't make no sense to me. In the first post above I wrote that I have four SHELVES and they aren't shelves they are drawers. I do think that I will have room to use the 4 drawers (if I can modify them to fit) and a couple shelves as well. So I will try to make the shelves out of something or just order some if I can find someone that makes them.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #6
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
I have puzzled over Shilala's reply all day and just now figured out why it didn't make no sense to me. In the first post above I wrote that I have four SHELVES and they aren't shelves they are drawers. I do think that I will have room to use the 4 drawers (if I can modify them to fit) and a couple shelves as well. So I will try to make the shelves out of something or just order some if I can find someone that makes them.
hipster doofus....
Old 03-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #7
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
hipster doofus....
yep, I got that from Seinfeld describing Kramer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOp_77i58Ks
Old 03-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #8
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
yep, I got that from Seinfeld describing Kramer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOp_77i58Ks
I'm more impressed that Seinfeld finally made it down to Taylor....
Old 03-10-2015, 04:55 PM   #9
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
I'm more impressed that Seinfeld finally made it down to Taylor....
Old 03-10-2015, 05:02 PM   #10
G G
BR549

Bolivar

I have the Frigidaire from Craigslist at home and look forward to getting it up and running. Gotta get a pound of beads. The I gotta try to figure out the best way to get my drawers to fit cause they are just a smidgen to narrow to sit in it. Don't think it will be too hard. Might order a couple shelves from Forrest. Then it will be good to go. The guy only had it a year and said it probably didn't run more than a hundred hours in that time cause it didn't keep his beer cold enough. He bought the house and it had one that was non working and he made them replace it with a new one. I paid him $100 for it and am glad to get it for that.