Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough
Default La Aurora Preferidos Sapphire

The flawless Connecticut wrappers on these has darkened a bit and taken on a slightly darker hue. The construction, as with all Preferidos, is solidly beautiful.

This is one of the original boxes, made in January '04 and released for sale in July '05.

Post-cut/pre-light, strong dried fruit impressions; some warm spices. The slightest hint of grassiness in the background.

The first draws are thick, rich smoke with heavy spice flavors. Through the nose it tastes every bit like an aged Cuban LGC, just lacking that edge that says they're not done getting better; these just may be at their peak. We'll see.

Approaching mid-barrel, some tea flavors come in, especially through the nose; a hint of cream. The warm spice flavors are huge; kind of a curry essence at the forefront, other spices in the background.

In the middle this cigar reveals itself completely: chewy, rich tobacco with lots of warm, savory spices. The underlying creamy quality persists, with the tea undertones also there. That undefinable "aged" quality that you get with a good Cuban cigar remains throughout.

From the start, the draw has been easy but not overly so; yet now, as the burn approaches the last quarter, I find myself having to sip in order to prevent overheating.

In summary, I'm a bit surprised; of all the tubos from La Aurora, this was far from my favorite when fresh, yet it has developed into a rich, complex smoke with more character than I would have thought possible for this wrapper and this blend.

I'm glad I have more left.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: La Aurora Preferidos Sapphire

I've always had a soft spot for these Tubos. I think they're one of the nicest presentations that I've ever laid eyes on. Just plain pleasant to look at and very classy without going overboard.
Excellent review, Joe. Thanks for taking the time!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Re: La Aurora Preferidos Sapphire

Nice review, thanks! They are some pretty sticks.