Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-07-2009, 02:15 AM   #1
jaycarla
Mossy Hoosier

First Name: Jay
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
jaycarla is on a distinguished road
Default Hopefully something new.....

In the Quagmire (giggity) of repetition, I am hoping to add something new. This may only ring true to those that have smoked for less than 3 years, such as myself.

Once I started smoking, I went full tilt. We know the slope. Smoke 'em all, Cbid, cheap boxes, look at the deal I got, Cuba?, Dark side, borderline cigar snob.

I smoked at least two a day, for 2+ years, I lose track of when I started. I like to think I have a pretty good idea of what is good, what is not. Obviously to each their own. This post has nothing to do with what I think is a good smoke and what is not. This is more of a revelation.

I have been sick, we'll call it Little Piggy Flu. Not quite H1N1, but it kicked my ass. Didn't smoke for 5 days. Now we get to my point.

This was the first time I have gone more than a day without a cigar. I went 5. First smoke for Friday and getting back on the horse? Boli RC '01. Holy mother of all that is good. Was like I never smoked before. The taste, smell, and even the feel of the smoke was amazing.

Next, just becasue I was in a stupor and thought I needed something stronger to test the theory, Opux X Fuente Fuente. Again winner.

My point? Not to discourage smoking, but taking some time off and not smoking daily seemed to totally change my palate. I know this is obvious in a way, but these were two smokes I have had more than 10 times. The ones I had tonight were by FAR better than any in the past.

So, for the next month or so I am going with a new "smoke plan" Little or no smoke during the week and then enjoy a few on the weekend.

So after reading my Jack Daniels enduced rant you ask, what has this done for me, the reader?

Again, this is for the newer smoker, not the wiley vet of the leaf. Try sitting down the sticks for a few days and go back to something that you smoke often, to me it was like smoking it for the first time.

I would be curious to hear what others have to say, because not smoking for extended periods isn't something we push here, but I have to say that I am going to give it a try.

I now find a lot more logic in all the stuff I have seen people post about having a smoke or two a week. I always thought, wow, they are missing out. Why not smoke every day? Well, for at least a few weeks I am going to try spreading it out a little. We'll see.

Thanks for listening. Giggity.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:15 AM   #2
Poronico
Teh Forever Noob

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Poronico will become famous soon enoughPoronico will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hopefully something new.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycarla View Post
In the Quagmire (giggity) of repetition, I am hoping to add something new. This may only ring true to those that have smoked for less than 3 years, such as myself.

Once I started smoking, I went full tilt. We know the slope. Smoke 'em all, Cbid, cheap boxes, look at the deal I got, Cuba?, Dark side, borderline cigar snob.

I smoked at least two a day, for 2+ years, I lose track of when I started. I like to think I have a pretty good idea of what is good, what is not. Obviously to each their own. This post has nothing to do with what I think is a good smoke and what is not. This is more of a revelation.

I have been sick, we'll call it Little Piggy Flu. Not quite H1N1, but it kicked my ass. Didn't smoke for 5 days. Now we get to my point.

This was the first time I have gone more than a day without a cigar. I went 5. First smoke for Friday and getting back on the horse? Boli RC '01. Holy mother of all that is good. Was like I never smoked before. The taste, smell, and even the feel of the smoke was amazing.

Next, just becasue I was in a stupor and thought I needed something stronger to test the theory, Opux X Fuente Fuente. Again winner.

My point? Not to discourage smoking, but taking some time off and not smoking daily seemed to totally change my palate. I know this is obvious in a way, but these were two smokes I have had more than 10 times. The ones I had tonight were by FAR better than any in the past.

So, for the next month or so I am going with a new "smoke plan" Little or no smoke during the week and then enjoy a few on the weekend.

So after reading my Jack Daniels enduced rant you ask, what has this done for me, the reader?

Again, this is for the newer smoker, not the wiley vet of the leaf. Try sitting down the sticks for a few days and go back to something that you smoke often, to me it was like smoking it for the first time.

I would be curious to hear what others have to say, because not smoking for extended periods isn't something we push here, but I have to say that I am going to give it a try.

I now find a lot more logic in all the stuff I have seen people post about having a smoke or two a week. I always thought, wow, they are missing out. Why not smoke every day? Well, for at least a few weeks I am going to try spreading it out a little. We'll see.

Thanks for listening. Giggity.
I agree with you 100%, I smoke maybe 2 sticks a week, recently it was more monetary setbacks than actual choice, but even when I was gainfully employed making close to 30 an hour I still only smoked maybe 3 times in a 7 day period unless there was a HERF to attend. I think because I haven't made it a habit to smoke daily I enjoy the cigars much more. Also when I have the dry spells I enjoy those first cigars when I get back into it so much more than when I smoke them regularly.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:21 AM   #3
The EVP

I've done the same. When I first started, I jumped right in. Before I knew it, I was smoking at least one cigar on weekdays and 3-5 on Saturday and Sunday. I found that everything was starting to taste the same to me. Fast foward 3 years, I might have 1-2 a week now. Once in a great while I'll splurge and have 3-5 on Saturday at the lounge, but for the most part I'm averaging 1-2 a week and find I an enjoying the smoke more since my tastebuds aren't burned out from overdoing it.

To add on to Jay's tip I'll give a tip of my own. For new smokers out there, don't worry about trying to impress people with rating cigars. It's hard to enjoy a cigar if your always trying to pick it apart and analyze it. It's one reason I very rarely rate a cigar anymore. About the only time I'll try to rate a cigar is if someone gives me one and asks that I tell them what I thought about it. Otherwise just relax, enjoy the smoke and enjoy the good times.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:36 AM   #4
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

I'm 100% behind you. The few times in my life that I smoked every day, I noticed the cigars starting to all taste the same. I rarely smoke more than 2-3 per week and it works for me.

MCS
Old 11-07-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
str8edg

I understand what you mean, 100%

Due to the fact of where I live, there is no way I can smoke every day. I can't even get one in a week, guaranteed... some times it just too damn cold!

So IMHO, you are right... when I do smoke it's always good. But then when I am back home in the summers I may smoke many times a day and you are right, my noob taste buds get overwhelmed. I am not sure if this will change in years to come or not. But I do tend to enjoy my sticks more when there is some time between them.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
roughrider
Feeling at Home

Trading: (24)
roughrider is on a distinguished road

I agree. I typically smoke in the evening on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. You have to give your taste buds a break.

But once in awhile, I do smoke 2-3 in a day. It just depends on the mood.
roughrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

It's a totally subjective thing. If I don't smoke often, I lose the ability to taste different flavors. The more I smoke, the more I taste.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

If it's what you like then knock yourself out! I am a beliver in smoking less and better. So everytime I smoke it feels like a special occasion.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
Rkyro
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Rich
Trading: (22)
Rkyro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
It's a totally subjective thing. If I don't smoke often, I lose the ability to taste different flavors. The more I smoke, the more I taste.

I Couldnt taste a thing untill i started smoking everyday. I thought my taste bud were just not very responsive, Now it's flavor country
Rkyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
jaycarla
Mossy Hoosier

First Name: Jay
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
jaycarla is on a distinguished road

Ok, didn't see this coming, call it a glitch in the matrix.

Having my first smoke in a couple days, and I do believe I have a case of the spinsies.

Holy crap.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Hmmmmm.... food for thought.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #12
Scottw
Going Commando

Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

WIth you all the way on this. My schedule and the weather don't allow me to smoke more than 2 per week and when the winter sets in, it's probably one per week.
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote